Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:05:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why transactions takes so long?  (Read 1733 times)
BallZy (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 12:24:32 AM

I don't know much about how BTC or ETH works, but why all cryptocurrencies takes so long to confirm a transaction. I think even 30s is too long, why cant it be instant like PayPal?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lazada

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 12:28:53 AM

I don't know much about how BTC or ETH works, but why all cryptocurrencies takes so long to confirm a transaction. I think even 30s is too long, why cant it be instant like PayPal?
especially bitcoin now has a very full network, difficulty block greatly increased with high. so when we only provide a low fee then the transaction will be very slow, even can happen for several days. usually to overcome this the bitcoin users use a high nominal fee to speed up transactions made. this has proved successful and our transactions will be delivered quickly.
aTriz

Activity: 1218
Merit: 683

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 12:38:07 AM

Well, especially for Bitcoin, the blockchain network is becoming super congested and this, of course, is leading to lower confirmation times and also higher transaction fees.

If you use the highest transaction fee, it should mean your transaction is confirmed within 5 minutes and most websites only require 1-5 confirmations.

Right now, Bitcoin isn't effective for lower transactions.

Ultegra134

Activity: 1540
Merit: 744

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 12:50:55 AM

Cryptocurrencies, even if it's Bitcoin or some other Altcoin need time to confirm. Don't compare a cryptocurrency with a Payment Processor. There is a whole network behind it, there are blocks, miners, miner earnings and much more.

Every block mined contains a number of transactions, if you've put a low fee (AKA Miner's payment) you will be left behind in the blocks, your transaction will not be contained in the first blocks, in the end, you might wait for a few days for your transaction to confirm. You could start paying high fees for quick transactions, but no one likes paying a fortune for that.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
skyline247

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:17:55 AM

Transactions do not all take long. IT all depends on how much of a fee you paid. If you pay a large fee then your tx will go through almost instantly, but a small fee means it could take up to or even over 24 hours in some cases. Tongue
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:49:48 AM

BTC transactions are actually INSTANTANEOUS. It's confirmations that take a longer time (10 minutes) because that's how Bitcoin works.
Bitcoin has a block time of 10 minutes and that amount of time was chosen presumably because it is a good compromise of speed, security and bandwidth.
The Lightning Network will allow for instantaneous, off-chain transactions that will not need to be confirmed.
Crypto_trader87

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:53:45 AM

Will in bitcoin now is too crowded as you can see every transaction so many pending and waiting to aprove becauase of too many people are using bitcoin now i think 15 mins is a good time already you cant transact for an instant thats like imposible at the current setuation.

cissrawk

Activity: 1218
Merit: 410

Secure your crypto : https://notyourkeys.org

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:58:59 AM

its because crowded transaction and some people spamming with low fees, lets say if your wallet make regular fees on 60 sat/b because that was regular transaction fee on that day, and then a lot people use it too. Better stay on medium fees like 150+ sat/b. If you want get confirm faster, you can use priority fees depend on https://bitcoinfees.21.co

I'm doing steam artwork.Official thread (Indo, but please pm me even if you're english speaker) : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5323281
NOT YOUR KEYS, NOT YOUR MONEY. PLEASE PROTECT YOUR MONEY! More info click here or go to NotYourKeys.org
Trade Crypto and get 10% cashback BTC16CYsf1yonoVAN3jLAJguREmoJfCy5twi4
BCMB

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 02:07:55 AM

Paypal is centralized, Bitcoin is de-centralized. There needs to be consensus that a Bitcoin transaction has taken place, and thus confirmations are needed.

Inkdatar

Activity: 1582
Merit: 523

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 02:17:06 AM

Paypal is centralized, Bitcoin is de-centralized. There needs to be consensus that a Bitcoin transaction has taken place, and thus confirmations are needed.
This happen sometimes transaction takes long as the demand is high. Yes there is need to resolved on this situation but hope it will be corrected soon. And, there is choices of fees by choosing fast and slow transactions to confirm.
jatin729

Activity: 812
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 02:17:41 AM

No this does not take long, Yesterday i did transaction with low fees and it had credited within 5 mins. Transaction from blockchain.info.
And fee was just 5400 satoshi.

erickkyut

Activity: 1176
Merit: 509

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 02:24:43 AM

I just noticed that everytime Bitcoin is increasing in value, the transactions takes longer than the usual and the fees are increasing. I don't know why. I know that it usually takes a few confirmations on the block chain before the transactions to be successful but I don't know if the price increase is directly proportional to the transaction process.
Hui8

Activity: 602
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 04:35:22 AM

It works on the principle of miners getting your transaction confirmed. There follows a big tree of transaction and smaller transactions are included into the bigger blocks which are then split according to destination address. Thus process takes long time now a days because network difficulty is added as well. Too many miners but lots of "congestion" in the network. That's is what happening and making your transaction delayed.
BCMB

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 04:41:46 AM

I just noticed that everytime Bitcoin is increasing in value, the transactions takes longer than the usual and the fees are increasing. I don't know why. I know that it usually takes a few confirmations on the block chain before the transactions to be successful but I don't know if the price increase is directly proportional to the transaction process.

Price increase generally means more activity on the blockchain as well, assuming the price is increasing due to demand (more people using it). Basically, more transactions for less BTC = more congestion.

Fujiati

Activity: 664
Merit: 112

Ethernity CLOUD

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 04:46:28 AM

I think because all cryptocurrencie has many transactions per second so it is not possible instantaneously

pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 04:55:30 AM

Propagation of your transaction is almost instant but proving that your transaction took place and its confirmation will take more time. But once your transaction is confirmed, you are assured that its valid and it cant be changed or erased from the blockchain.

In Paypal your account can be locked and your transactions can be changed using fiat. But its just really numbers in a screen, with BTC every transaction is made using the actual currency and it cant be changed and censored.

The time taken to make a transaction happen in BTC is worth the wait.
jackky

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 05:00:25 AM

i think many people are playing bitcoin now ! So there are a lot of withdraw , transactions ! So the market transaction will stuck and check all the withdraw ! So too many people withdraw ! It means have to take turn to get to your transaction !
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 05:02:35 AM

You can't compare Paypal to cryptocurrencies, they are totally different systems, they have different purposes. Paypal is an online payment processor, which has been developed to manage online payments and give customer support to people using it, they have the authority to decide if a tranaction is OK or not, they can reverse transactions (paypal dispute, claim) if they think that something went wrong during the transaction. You don't store value gerenally on your paypal account, usually you do payment tranactions with your bank card connected to the Paypal account.
Bitcoin is not only a payment processor system yet, it's about storing value, and keeping track of who has bitcoin and how many coins. It's like a ledger system, and it not controlled by any company or authority, this determines that it works different. You should take you time to study at least the basics and you will see the differences and the advantages of those systems.
jekanmasin

Activity: 240
Merit: 11

Be Positive Always!

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 05:03:22 AM

bitcoin network are currently full load. too many people using bitcoin nowaday. you should change it to other alts coin to make a fast transfer. i would not bother to use bitcoin for my buy and sell because of high fee from bitcoin to miner.

[ N O M I N E X ]     EXCHANGE     ◥      telegram     ► facebook     ► twitter
(❪   WIN 1000 USDT   ❫)        in        T R A D E R S   C O M P E T I T I O N
███ Create account ███ [ REF. CAMP. ] Nominex Binary Affiliate Program
olushakes

Activity: 476
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 05:07:59 AM

You don't know much about how it works, yet you castigate the amount of time it takes to confirm. Its true that it might not be instant like PayPal but you see it immediately but not available to spend which is what sometimes PayPal use as an option for control purposes. The adabavtages of fees and the reasonable wait time in the case of bitcoin, is enough for me to choose above PayPal.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: