Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:55:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to participate in an ICO?  (Read 1158 times)
paulusg62 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 09:01:07 AM

Hi,

I'm totally new in cryptocurrencies and have been searching around to invest a little in interesting coins.
Apparently the most interesting but risky investments are the ICO's, interesting because the initial value is low so that big profits are possible,
risky because chances are big that your investment goes down the drain.
I looked around and found an interesting one, now I'm wondering how to proceed.
To invest, should I deposit bitcoins? And where can I store the acquired tokens, can I store them on an exchange, or do I need a wallett?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
superplus

Activity: 475
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 09:22:08 AM

should I deposit bitcoins?
You must read the rules on the thread or website that ICO you want invest, is there any claim to use anything for the deposit because sometimes there is only accept a Bitcoin , Ethereum only and there is also accept both.

And where can I store the acquired tokens, can I store them on an exchange, or do I need a wallett?
Yes, you must create wallet that support erc20 token ( ex : Myetherwallet ) if your ico project is using Ethereum token platform nor if your project using Waves, you must have an Waves wallet.
HomeToken

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

HomeToken - Tokenized Real Estate Fund

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 09:28:40 AM

Yes, you would need a wallet and read the ICO rules.

Generally not recommended to transfer your bitcoin directly from exchanges, to participate in ICOs.

luxcoin

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

Guard your privacy

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 09:44:30 AM

Each ICO has its own rules. You should do lots reserch before  join one of these. After the boom of the past few months, some Scammer can take advantage and create ICO just to steal your money.
Once you've found a project that you think is interesting read the rules to participate. Usually first you join the ICO more bonuses you can get. Payments are made with BTC or ETH so you must first buy these coins to participate. I recommend you deposit your criptomonet on a secure wallet and not to store them on online service.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DeepVault
Blockchain File Signatures
deeponion.org
galangal

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 10:09:34 AM

Im a new to cryptos too.

As any would say, do the research although that can be quite tough on certain platforms and ICOs. I was burnt buying fake tokens with the same name as the official one for a while, not realising that the Asset ID is important for that platform. Plus there was no indication or signal for new users to check/verify their intended purchases (this has recently changed although it doesnt go nearly far enough to supply pointers for checking officially supported tokens)

Good luck with your crypto quest
banake

Activity: 109

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 10:24:49 AM

https://www.icoalert.com/
Check list up coming ICO here
Follow step by step on their website
paulusg62 (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 11:15:54 AM

Thanx for all the info, I see that I have a lot research to do to prevent being pray of scammers!
Madstayler

Activity: 406
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 03:18:45 PM

I`m also quite new in cryptocurrences. I was too lazy to read really huge amount of information to understand in what ICO I can invest some money, so I`ve chosen a different way. I`ve joined to one of teams, who are working on such project. Perhaps they are a scam, but at least I will learn how to identify it. But there is one issue, you must have some developer skills to do so.
skymia

Activity: 140
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 04:23:19 PM

Also newbie here, is there a place you can see a list of coming ICO?

Discordapp.com/invite/fQcYvkh ❤ Do Good Things-Make Life Better ❤  Masternodes 650% ROI ❤ TeleMedicine ❤ Folding@Home ❤ MEDIC coin
llzzyy234

Activity: 54

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 04:33:11 PM

Find the ico website, go through the white paper(some ico does not even have white paper  Undecided ). Check the background of the whole team on linkedin. Check the ICO schedule, normally ICO schedule will last around a week to a month.
Think about what kind of problem the project is going to solve, is it worth to use the blockchain technology.
suppersz

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

There is a day to be born, and another to die

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 09:23:00 PM

Yes please do be careful right now with any ico. Even the SEC recently tweeted warning about ico's. It's the wild wild west right now and people are creating scam ico left and right. I am not sure how to even tell the difference between a scam ico and a real one, but I found this article that helps tell the difference. Just look out for ico telling people what they want to hear, promising gains, unrealistic expectations, etc.

https://www.cryptocompare.com/coins/guides/how-to-avoid-scam-icos/

nikargg

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 10:12:04 PM

One of the most important things are the whitepapers regarding the cryptocoin.
They should be publicly available some time before the release of the coin so they can be revised by the peers.

Also make sure to check and see if the purpouse of the coin has some sense and if it can be applied.

Be wary of "you will have credit cards linked to your coin wallet", this is probably one of the biggest red flags. It hasnt happened with any other coin so it wont happen with a new one.

Anyhow if a coin gets into you try not to put all your money into it, just take it as a high risk investment.
Devilwalk

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:01:34 AM

Also newbie here, is there a place you can see a list of coming ICO?

Here

https://tokenmarket.net/ico-calendar
https://www.coinschedule.com/
https://icobazaar.com/list

Or just Google "ICO list".
HKGolden

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:41:16 AM

You can simple check in Altcoins section.

Too many new ICOs nowaday, beware, please do some research before you invest to it.
cryptomeo

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 01:28:50 PM

You can simple check in Altcoins section.

Too many new ICOs nowaday, beware, please do some research before you invest to it.

Way too many at the moment. At the same time, so little reliable sources, most are tagging on those ICO bounty programs...
thealex12

Activity: 266

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:17:45 PM

You can go to the platform and there should be somewhere a link where you can deposit ETH or BTC. When you deposit your money there then it will be automatically invested in tokens. But be careful and inspect the project carefully, you don't want to invest in a scam!! Good Luck and happy crypto!!
AdisBegic

Activity: 31

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:13:45 PM

You really have to be a WOLF and not a SHEEP.

Nowadays, people really don’t realize that the majority of us, are trained NOT to trust our own judgment. We follow the rules of society, our parents, teachers and what not. With time, we naturally get customised to this type of submission and follow the status quo. We can either continue to do so and eventually acknowledge that we are nothing different than sheep. Or we can be like wolves, which defines stubborn personalities that usually places a question mark next to everything. Wolves usually tend to find great happiness because they follow their OWN dreams and make their OWN plans.
Do your own research before you participate in ICO's, here are some steps to minimize the risk as much as possible:

Degree of transparency
       - info on team members? whitepaper? roadmap? distribution of funds?

Stage of Development
       - Do they have a beta platform? a Minimum viable product? or a whitepaper?

Presence & Community size
       - Are they active in their communities? do they have multiple platforms like slack & telegram (Join if so)
       - Do they have any media presence like Forbes, medium etc where they go into details of the project A-Z?

Impact of use case
       - What are they trying to solve? what is their use case? what is the impact of this?
       - How big is their market? is it even worth it to invest in this?
       - Do they have any competition already within the same market?

Funding structure
      - How much money do they want to raise? How much money do they actually need of this?
      - What is the price of the token compared to the circulating supply?
      - How will they distribute the allocated funds?

With this being provided to you, I hope you now are a little bit more educated about what to search for before investing in an ICO.
simrac

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 02:58:18 AM

If you care a altcoin ,you need keep watching  altcoin 's thread everyday to update news ,may be a day you will have lucky like me, i joined deeponion 's community ,rule is simple ,free airdrop, and we are growing up fast. Welcome you to deeponion. Read rule join with me.
NorvsGanda

Activity: 445

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 05:10:31 AM

Hello there guys I am new here in bitcoin or cryptocurrency. I just want to ask what is the meaning of ICO? Is it something to do with the posting and the campaign?

tjobh

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 12:22:12 PM

Hello there guys I am new here in bitcoin or cryptocurrency. I just want to ask what is the meaning of ICO? Is it something to do with the posting and the campaign?

I am also new here. ICO is initial coin offering. I understand that it is something like Initial Public Offering for stocks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: