Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:34:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Will (you know, for dead peeps)  (Read 1219 times)
TippingPoint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:39:54 AM

The Bitcoin Will (you know, for dead peeps)

Advantages:
Irreversible
Private
Uncontestable
Tax benefits
No waiting

Has there been any precedent in executing a Last Will And Testament using Bitcoins and the Bitcoin network?

Is there an existing technological solution, or is one potentially feasible?

Would it use some version of a Dead Man's Switch?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_man's_switch

If nothing else, is there some PR value here?

You look a little pale.

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bush

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:44:37 AM

Huh?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 12:45:53 AM

There are many discussion on this.

I believe one of the solutions was to tell your family members half of the private key and then leave the other half in your will.

Or have it on an object that you wear.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 01:13:04 AM

Huh?

don't worry its just yet another guy proposing that you give him your coins and if you die he promises to give them to your next of kin.

where the reality is a standard Will and testiment and self-storing the coins in a location your next of kin can find would be the best solution.

after all once your dead you cant really track the guy down and slap him with a wet fish if he breaks the promise.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 06:45:11 PM

I believe one of the solutions was to tell your family members half of the private key and then leave the other half in your will.

BIP 038
Password protected wallets.

Send the encrypted paper wallet(s) to family members. Use DeadMansSwitch to have the decryption key sent to your loved ones if you pass.    And also give they key to a trustee.

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=123727.msg1497380#msg1497380

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 06:51:59 PM

Make an address. Fund it with the amount you want to give to said family member if you bite the dust. Split the address into 2 privkeyparts and write it down. Wipe all info of your full private key from your PC (IDK, maybe you can do this on a fresh PC and format the hard-drive 50 times). Put your privkeypart in your will. Give said family member the other privkeypart. Burn the paper containing both privkeyparts.

Now, if you want to test this, simply kill yourself (note: not recommended) and your Bitcoin Will should take effect.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 02:25:24 PM

Formatting does not erase or wipe the drive. You need to overwrite every byte and every sector. Try DBAN.

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 05:08:43 PM

Formatting does not erase or wipe the drive. You need to overwrite every byte and every sector. Try DBAN.

Hmm, I thought that formatting a hard drive about 50 times would erase almost all (yes, I know not all, but almost all) of the data. ._.

http://www.dban.org/ does look more reliable though...

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 01:34:16 PM

Format it 50 times. I can recover at least 90% of the data that was not overwritten. Best practice is to use whole drive encryption first. Then a single wipe is all that is needed.

Thermite works, but you can't use the drive anymore.

I used to have a switch, when activated instantly ignites the jar of thermite above the computer. Now I just have a shortcut, when activated instantly wipes the first megabyte of the encrypted volume and shuts down.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: