Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:53:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback on machine for mining  (Read 393 times)
BossHogg6 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 07:16:51 PM

I have this machine sitting around barely used and was wondering if it would be sufficient enough to get started. The idea was to use it for mining monero, but I am up for suggestions on rather or not it will work for something else, or it needs more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6EK9J2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iamniks

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 11:01:00 AM

You don't need Desktop Computer to mine Monero. You'll need a lot of GPUs. Check out some articles about building mining rigs for Ethereum, Zcash, Monero. https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/d38mqk/how-to-build-an-ethereum-mining-rig-computer
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 03:10:56 PM

I have this machine sitting around barely used and was wondering if it would be sufficient enough to get started. The idea was to use it for mining monero, but I am up for suggestions on rather or not it will work for something else, or it needs more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6EK9J2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you can play it around and can do CPU mining, if you get it to work, then learning will rise including how profitable/unprofitable it is. Cheesy
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 06:27:36 PM

you can play it around and can do CPU mining, if you get it to work, then learning will rise including how profitable/unprofitable it is. Cheesy

True that!
BTW, you can tweak around and learn about CPU mining first, which will really clear your basics and if you'll feel like upping your game, get a GPU or two and connect it to your system as the MOB in your system has 3 PCIe slots, meaning it can support up-to 3 GPUs but still unsure if the bios will support it. Anyway, two will be okay.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2017, 06:41:18 PM

Check your electricity costs and run some calculations before investing in additional hardware, but it looks like you could get 3 graphics cards connected to that system. (You'd definitely want to take it out of the case and do some kind of custom frame.)

As above posters have mentioned, CPU mining would be for a learning experience more so than profit. For any serious profit, you'd need to consider what you'd pay for power and look into getting some graphics cards. (No guarantees, even then.)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███