Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:23:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for WordPress plugin (or someone to write one)  (Read 5619 times)
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 07:45:29 PM

I'd love a "Donate" or "Tip" button that, when clicked, caused the existing btc address and QR code to pop up. As it is, it takes up a lot of space.

Still around.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
enmaku (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 09:48:40 PM

Found a problem. The blockchain.info payments API won't forward any amount less than 0.001BTC, currently worth about 13 cents. I know this because someone tried to donate 0.00015384 BTC to me, worth about 2 cents. I'm not such a broke blogger that I care about 2 pennies, but I don't like that blockchain.info is apparently microtransaction hostile. Time to go email Ben  Grin
Terk

Activity: 616
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:07:33 PM

Found a problem. The blockchain.info payments API won't forward any amount less than 0.001BTC, currently worth about 13 cents. I know this because someone tried to donate 0.00015384 BTC to me, worth about 2 cents. I'm not such a broke blogger that I care about 2 pennies, but I don't like that blockchain.info is apparently microtransaction hostile. Time to go email Ben  Grin

I think it's just being held until the balance to forward reaches 0.001 BTC or more, so nothing's lost.

Keep in mind that blockchain.info provides this service for free. It requires not only computing power to constantly monitor millions of addresses and forward all incoming money. They also pay fees for forwarding transaction. So each forward cost them 0.0001 BTC, and you get that for free.

Terk

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:08:51 PM

Yup, I just confirmed that all payments smaller than 0.001 BTC are just waiting and they are included in forward after the balance reaches 0.001 BTC.

enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:18:52 PM

Yup, I just confirmed that all payments smaller than 0.001 BTC are just waiting and they are included in forward after the balance reaches 0.001 BTC.

Good to know, I'll go update my article. Thanks!

I also just noticed that blockchain.info has a callback url in their payments API that could be used to populate donation information instead of relying on a cron job, although I think I'd prefer to use both methods in case something goes wrong with the callback, at least I'd have good stats updated every n minutes/hours/days.
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:23:27 PM

BTW Terk, did you ever get ahold of blockchain.info about your banned domain or whatever? I have a contact or two over there I could ping for you if you need it.
Terk

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:33:02 PM

BTW Terk, did you ever get ahold of blockchain.info about your banned domain or whatever? I have a contact or two over there I could ping for you if you need it.

Actually I just found that it's an issue with my hosting provider who blocks anonymous proxies and foreign VPS services. They have resolved it just minutes ago so I can now implement the callback.

I also just noticed that blockchain.info has a callback url in their payments API that could be used to populate donation information instead of relying on a cron job, although I think I'd prefer to use both methods in case something goes wrong with the callback, at least I'd have good stats updated every n minutes/hours/days.

Blockchain.info expects the callback to return acknowledgement that notification was processed correctly. If it doesn't get that ack, it will repeat firing the callback at some interval until it gets expected response (or until it tries so many times that it puts your domain into a blacklist). So in theory that should work well even if you have temporary problems with your website.

I think not everyone has access to cron in their hosting environment and not everyone knows how to put something in cron. I think that since Blockchain.info repeats firing the callback if there's something wrong on your side, it should probably be enough to rely just on that callback. I may add additional checking by cron if there will be reports that stats are not always reliable.

enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 04:25:43 AM

Actually I just found that it's an issue with my hosting provider who blocks anonymous proxies and foreign VPS services. They have resolved it just minutes ago so I can now implement the callback.

Blockchain.info expects the callback to return acknowledgement that notification was processed correctly. If it doesn't get that ack, it will repeat firing the callback at some interval until it gets expected response (or until it tries so many times that it puts your domain into a blacklist). So in theory that should work well even if you have temporary problems with your website.

I think not everyone has access to cron in their hosting environment and not everyone knows how to put something in cron. I think that since Blockchain.info repeats firing the callback if there's something wrong on your side, it should probably be enough to rely just on that callback. I may add additional checking by cron if there will be reports that stats are not always reliable.

Didn't know they repeated the callback, that should be adequate then. For the record, though, WordPress has a pseudo-cron built in since they expect that not everyone will have access to cron. It fires at intervals but can only fire on a page load.
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 05:31:56 AM

Can we add a custom address option to the feature list? Someone on Reddit made the point that since so many people aggregate Bitcoin content it would be cool if they could put in the author's tip address when they aggregate. It could also be useful for people who roll their own solutions on the BTC side etc. It would also be useful to be able to simply disable the widget on a post-by-post basis.
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:32:43 AM

Hey Terk, just wondering if there were any updates on this, maybe a wall you've run into we can help you through or something?
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 11:49:59 PM

If I don't hear anything soon I'll put this up on GitHub and start working on it myself - not that I have the time, but I feel like it's an important project so I'll make the time.
Terk

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 12:52:51 PM

I didn't put it on GitHub as I read that Wordpress hosts all plugins from their directory in their svn and I think it's required if you want the plugin to be easily upgrade'able within Wordpress - so not sure if I want to manage the code in two repositories at the same time.

I plan to sit on this on Monday evening, finish some features and publish to the plugins directory.

enmaku (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 08:36:55 PM

I didn't put it on GitHub as I read that Wordpress hosts all plugins from their directory in their svn and I think it's required if you want the plugin to be easily upgrade'able within Wordpress - so not sure if I want to manage the code in two repositories at the same time.

I plan to sit on this on Monday evening, finish some features and publish to the plugins directory.

Cool, glad to hear you're still around! I wasn't aware of the WordPress SVN thing, that's good to know (even though I despise SVN). Mostly I'm just glad to know you're still around, I was beginning to think you'd bailed and I was going to have to learn WordPress programming myself Tongue
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:15:44 PM

Any updates or should I set aside some time to start coding?
Terk

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 12:41:46 PM

I'm knee-deep in work so this will have to wait until the weekend. Don't worry.

Terk

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:22:59 PM

I just published a new version with all the initial features that I felt were required to publicly announce the plugin. The new stuff is: collecting data about received tips, displaying simple stats in tipping widget, email notifications of received tips.

I created a dedicated thread for the plugin to start the discussion over: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237624.0

bitcoinpreneur

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 10:55:50 PM

I saw this talk as well considering adding some of these features to the Bitcoin plugin we released for WordPress .
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 03:59:25 PM

It would be great if we could upload an Armory watching-only wallet and then tip addresses would be pulled from that pool of addresses.

In this case, instead of relying on the Blockchain.com API, where the service is known to go down from time to time, is to instead have the plugin author include the ability to upload an Armory watch-only wallet  and then draw from that pool of public keys each time a post needs a new bitcoin address.

This would remove the centralized point of failure, increase the privacy of the tip sender and receiver because the information would not be going through Blockchain's server, decrease miner fees and retain the same level of security because the Armory wallet could be stored by the tip receiver in offline cold storage.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: