Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:22:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Closed or semi closed gpu mining case to get?  (Read 1798 times)
dominuspro

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:55:43 PM

Of course they're properly cooled, and I'd bet they're running cooler than most peoples open air rigs, because they are in a data center that has AC, and are in a chassis that has been engineered with cooling that can handle the airflow required by FE cards. No one's going to risk the cost of 10 x 1080 ti cards without proper cooling!

This is the way things are done in the enterprise deep learning arena, and companies like Supermicro sell setups for 10 x Tesla cards, or consumer 1080 ti's work just fine:)
That picture is from a system with this chassis - https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4u/4028/sys-4028gr-tr.cfm

No way... those gpus must be throttling hitting 80 or more °C when moderatly loaded with some minning or other processing stuff. I've just played too much with gpu's, cases, vents etc. to accept those statements.
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:59:48 PM

Founder Edition cards do NOT have very good cooling - I would strongly recommend AGAINST them for mining usage.

In a closed case where air flow is managed front-to-back they actually have great cooling and are far superior to any aftermarket cooled cards.
Not to mention, you can fit them in closer because they are a 2-slot card/

Do this with aftermarket cards...

There are pics around of the ASUS blower-type card packed in JUST as tight - and they cool a little better but STILL NOT WELL when jammed in that close together.
 It doesn't matter how much airflow is going through the case, as most of the access to the cooling fan intake IS BLOCKED which restricts airflow through the card very badly.
 A rig like that REQUIRES low environmental temps to SURVIVE due to that issue - try running it at 95-100 F ambient like MY rigs do in the summer and you're talking thermal throttle or "shut down due to overheat" issues CONSTANTLY.
 Heck, try running a rig like that in the Yahoo "chicken coop" server farms and you're going to have the SAME issue, just not QUITE as bad, as those farms are designed to keep the intake to the racks at about 90F as I recall.

That's why many "compute-specific cards" like Teslas and Firepros have an intake on the END of the card, so the air can flow through it without obstruction and don't bother with a fan at all, they rely on the CASE to provide massive airflow.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
namjey

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 07:15:07 PM

how many gpus does your rig have? If it's more then 4 then go with server cases if 3 or less (like me) go with fractal define XL R2. This is HUGE pc case. It can easily hold 3 gpus attached directly to motherboard. The case comes with 3 fans and most importantly it has a removable air filters. The case also has manual fan speed controller which you can adjust depending on your room temperature. Also, the case has noise isolated walls, so it runs very quite. One thing to consider is the GPU temperature. You WILL have higher temp if you use closed cases. In overall this is great closed rig option if open rig is not suitable.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2017, 07:36:51 PM

how many gpus does your rig have? If it's more then 4 then go with server cases if 3 or less (like me) go with fractal define XL R2. This is HUGE pc case. It can easily hold 3 gpus attached directly to motherboard. The case comes with 3 fans and most importantly it has a removable air filters. The case also has manual fan speed controller which you can adjust depending on your room temperature. Also, the case has noise isolated walls, so it runs very quite. One thing to consider is the GPU temperature. You WILL have higher temp if you use closed cases. In overall this is great closed rig option if open rig is not suitable.

Adding over $100 to a 3-card system gives a pretty hefty increase to your time to break even. If you planned on using that case later for other purposes, sure, but for a dedicated mining rig?

Also, I would hope that the OP has more than 3 cards in their rig. A premium case for a small dedicated mining rig seems unnecessary.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 10:06:47 PM

Thermaltake V34 or V35, can add a couple of Delta 120x38 or 140x38 fans to the front just by unscrewing the HD cages (use the floppy drive mount cage to mount a drive).

Can run *4* GPUs in this case on a motherboard like Phil's favorite Biostar or that AM4 board he posted earlier without having to mod the case at all (it's designed to handle 4 dual-width cards).

Very nice case for the relatively low price.

IMO though it's a lot better to go with open rigs, as they're a lot easier to keep cool - even for non-blower builds like I use and Phil generally prefers.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: