Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:06:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nikkei in free fall (-7.3%)  (Read 2047 times)
Frozenlock (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:30:19 AM

Just thought this might interest some of you:

Nikkei down by 7.3% in a single day.

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/marketlive.aspx

Weeeeee!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 07:31:35 AM

damn. what goes up must come down I guess
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:32:19 AM

Wow.  And the Voice of the Banksters (also known as Financial Times) laughs at Bitcoin volatility...

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 07:46:46 AM

Wow.  And the Voice of the Banksters (also known as Financial Times) laughs at Bitcoin volatility...

Never a better contrarian indicator
Rockford

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 09:37:33 AM

polite question to my fellow stock pros:

the flatline at 11:xx seems familiar Smiley

Is this line showing us a "market cool down" induced by the stock exchange?

I always thought of this as a ridiculous gox feature and now I am puzzled due to the fact that the "global players" might do it the same. Roll Eyes

bribe money: 1LhsDpG6W3JLzGAYqkMYSBEeHb6bpYL74r
phlogistonq

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 09:48:14 AM

Yes, the big stock exchanges do that.

From http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-23/asia-stocks-swing-between-gains-losses-on-policy-concern.html:
Japan’s Nikkei 225 (NKY) Stock Average and the broader Topix Index both fell more than 6 percent, the most since the aftermath of the 2011 earthquake, and futures trading in Osaka was suspended.

Also, the rapid drop immediately after looks familiar.

Mass psychology of bitcoiners is perhaps not all that different.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:46:44 AM

From http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-23/asia-stocks-swing-between-gains-losses-on-policy-concern.html:
Japan’s Nikkei 225 (NKY) Stock Average and the broader Topix Index both fell more than 6 percent, the most since the aftermath of the 2011 earthquake, and futures trading in Osaka was suspended.

They just did it again, too.  14,484 now, and more falling after the present cool-down is lifted?

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 01:24:26 PM

polite question to my fellow stock pros:

the flatline at 11:xx seems familiar Smiley

Is this line showing us a "market cool down" induced by the stock exchange?

I always thought of this as a ridiculous gox feature and now I am puzzled due to the fact that the "global players" might do it the same. Roll Eyes

Thank you for enlightening me with how much I don't know and how long I haven't been paying attention Smiley
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:56:15 PM

Wow, they froze futures trading! Did they also freeze the market?

Talk about bad news for centrally controlled fiat.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:30:28 PM

That is what happens when you start printing money like mad, the yen lost like what, 30% in few months?

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 09:27:42 PM

That is what happens when you start printing money like mad, the yen lost like what, 30% in few months?

Actually printing the money like mad is responsible for the rise in stock markets. And for a variety of reasons:

1 - The artificially low interest rates hurt savers. So, many people move some money out of banks and into stock markets.
2 - The Banks are using the new liquidity to buy stocks ("assets")
3 - Corporate stock buy backs in America, who are the largest buyers of large blocks of stocks, are 88% higher than last year. See, when you make free money available, companies will take advantage. They buy back shares, lowering outstanding shares, which ups their profit (fewer outside owners).
I'm sure there are more reasons...

With all the buying coming from the above, I really wonder how it crashed today? A lot of people, for whatever reason, must have sold. Or hedge funds, etc.

But, I do think the game the banks are playing is a lose lose situation and will eventually (in a few months to years) lead to a stock market crash, via the currency crashing.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:11:57 AM

Yeah, printing money like mad will lift the stock markets because of devaluation.

However, devaluation will cause investors to sell government bonds, thus driving up the % yield on those bonds, and driving down the price.

There is more debt (government bonds), in Japan than the entire value of the Nikkei index 10 times over.

When there is a push, bonds win, and stock markets lose.

Smart people are selling Japanese government bonds, and taking their money and putting it into Bitcoin.

Oops...I gave away my investing strategy...

Darned it !
Ivanhoe

Activity: 841

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 09:55:22 AM

And another hit for the Nikkei today, currently at -6.35%, ouchh.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:32:25 PM

And another hit for the Nikkei today, currently at -6.35%, ouchh.

There have been 4 or 5 substantial drops. Those drops I think have been around 12, 7, 6 and 6 percent?

Something is just very very wrong there. Since not long after Japan listened to the FED about Quantitative Easing. Seriously, these banks are just trying to start a collapse.

Funny, they want to get people to stop investing just in bonds, so now some invested in the stock market and look what has happened.  Huh

BTC = Black Swan.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: