Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:02:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Bitcoin Viral yet or will it be?
Bitcoin is already Viral - 69 (29.7%)
Bitcoin will go Viral - 140 (60.3%)
Bitcoin will not go Viral - 23 (9.9%)
Total Voters: 232

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin will go Viral  (Read 3858 times)
Viscera (OP)

Activity: 660
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:08:10 AM

I've noticed that since the first couple of things that went viral (think "Charlie bit my finger") nothing on the net has really "gone viral" because of censorship.

One of the last video's on YouTube that I remember going really Viral was called "the YouTube Dictatorship by DireBoris... it had millions of views very quickly and he was accused of using bots... yeah right lol... I was one of them.

over the next few months his channel got progressively harder to find in search results despite using his exact name... then 3 months later his account was deleted by YouTube.

This kind of censorship really sux... and YouTube has become such a pathetic add driven machine, it's impossible to really have "viral content"

This is where Bitcoin comes in... is it possible that this will be the first thing to really "Go Viral" in a decade? is it possible that our collective consciousness has actually forgotten what "Viral" looks like because it's been so long?

I'm going to answer this poll by saying "bitcoins will go viral" but I'm going to allow people to change there answers to this poll so that over time we can see if there is eventually a consensus that we have really achieved "Viral" status.

Any comments in support of your answers or related discussion is welcome Smiley
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ktttn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 10:16:09 AM

When considering relative scale, universal worldwide adoption will look slow, like a galaxy moving through space. Galaxies move pretty darn fast, though.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
Mcoroklo

Activity: 77
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 10:22:28 AM

Bitcoin is subject to what we business theory calls "positive network effects". It has the exact same nature as Facebook, which also is highly subject to those effects.

So yes, when it hits a big enough group using Bitcoins and there is a huge incentive to use it (let's face it, currently there is not for most people), it will have a growth curve like Facebook and similar services and "go viral".

The problem is the incentive to use it: Most people are quite happy with their credit card and cash.

BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:35:40 AM

I've noticed that since the first couple of things that went viral (think "Charlie bit my finger") nothing on the net has really "gone viral" because of censorship.

One of the last video's on YouTube that I remember going really Viral was called "the YouTube Dictatorship by DireBoris... it had millions of views very quickly and he was accused of using bots... yeah right lol... I was one of them.

over the next few months his channel got progressively harder to find in search results despite using his exact name... then 3 months later his account was deleted by YouTube.

This kind of censorship really sux... and YouTube has become such a pathetic add driven machine, it's impossible to really have "viral content"

This is where Bitcoin comes in... is it possible that this will be the first thing to really "Go Viral" in a decade? is it possible that our collective consciousness has actually forgotten what "Viral" looks like because it's been so long?

I'm going to answer this poll by saying "bitcoins will go viral" but I'm going to allow people to change there answers to this poll so that over time we can see if there is eventually a consensus that we have really achieved "Viral" status.

Any comments in support of your answers or related discussion is welcome Smiley

Why don't you start BitTube.com (well, that domain is taken, but...?)?  Sounds like you have some experience.

Integrate a bitcoin tipping mechanism like on reddit, and send invites to the YouTube content providers.  And get one of the bigger bitcoin ad providers on board.  I'd imagine that getting paid for ads plus getting tips plus no censorship would appeal to a lot of the content people.

You never know until you try...

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Viscera (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:39:48 PM

Most sites don't censor because they want to; they censor because they will eventually be closed down if they don't. But...

What evidence do you have for this claim that self censorship is done out of fear? Does their submission to the threat of being closed down justify their use of censorship?

I would argue they have chosen a side.
Viscera (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:56:29 PM

I have observed that ribuck is defending the position of sites to give in to the fear of being shut down. While I'm not surprised that some Bitcoiners are still Statists, I hope to see less replies from Statists in the future.

"feel free to operate a truly uncensored site, and see how long it lasts" - this has the tone of someone who wants you try only because he expects you to be crushed by censorship.

I don't need to try... Satoshi is the Cyberchrist and his code will make everyone free Tongue
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:15:43 PM

Please remember that facebook going viral means: people go on the website and register

For bitcoin it is entirely different, people must understand how bitcoin work, understand how to not lose them. Merchants need to setup their websites. Infrastructured need to be built. All of this takes time.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:21:59 PM

Exactly. Bitcoin will have an easier time becoming "viral" through middlee man services that let you interact with the coins when you want but don't require it (like BitPay).

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:32:39 PM

It's getting to go viralzoarzles

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:56:26 PM

Ich bin ein Bitcoiner BTC
TippingPoint
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:00:46 PM

I have a Bitcoin BTC
TippingPoint
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:08:56 PM

We're more popular than Bitcoin BTC now; I don't know which will go first
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:28:54 PM

Bitcoin WILL go viral.
Viscera (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 10:43:14 AM
Last edit: May 24, 2013, 02:26:59 PM by Viscera

Wow some fantastic artwork guys Smiley I don't know if I was the first to coin the term Bitcoiner as I'm sure others will coin the term independantly. Bitcoiner has a nice ring to it and I especially like the art with the German... "I be a Bitcoiner" Smiley... Is that a correct translation?

All of the pics are inspiring... I love you Bitcoiners.

I'd love to see more photo's and creativity like this... also links to any songs that have a Bitcoin theme.

Here's one from ZhouTonged... I don't know the history... but I love the track

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pID03RrmKow
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 04:08:52 PM

I have a Bitcoin BTC

Grin

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 04:57:37 PM

It's 1% viral

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 10:08:11 PM

bitcoin is over 4 years old.

the term viral is where there is a sudden and unexpected growth.

eg.. medically a 24 hour bug which transmits person to person within hours
eg.. on youtube where something gets 100 hits, 300, 900, 2000, 6000, 18000, 54000, 162000 in a small space of time.
(also note "charlie bit me" is not as viral as gangnam style or kony2012, guess the OP missed those)

bitcoin is on a steady growth, which banking industry would consider more of a cancer then viral. taking month's/years to grow to a point that its effects become noticable. and then in some cases too late to keep under control.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
alkuluku

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

🙏

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 02:38:49 AM

Ich bin ein Bitcoiner BTC
Well played sir, well played.

mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:10:08 AM

Holy crap!
I don't know where you get your internet from, but many many things went viral before "Charlie bit my finger" annd many many things went viral after "Charlie bit my finger".
Have you been living under a stone?

Anyway, who cares about viral shit? It's a waste of perfectly good neural real estate.
Viscera (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:00:51 AM

Right on,

The discovery of what unites our shared consciousness is surely the realm of dreams. Bitcoin? what is that. It means nothing. It cannot save us from the arm of righteousness that denies evil exists. Search alone I must, until others discover the glory of Satoshi. A true saint as long as we never know who he is?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: