Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:23:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Bitcoin Viral yet or will it be?
Bitcoin is already Viral - 69 (29.7%)
Bitcoin will go Viral - 140 (60.3%)
Bitcoin will not go Viral - 23 (9.9%)
Total Voters: 232

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin will go Viral  (Read 3858 times)
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:40:44 AM

Unfortunately most viral's tend to cater to idiots, I can't see the people who are entertained by viral trends getting excited about the blockchain and cryptography.

To be honest viral might not be that great for Bitcoin anyway, how many viral's last over a year? Most last a few months before descent into oblivion. Also imagine a load of lemmings pouring into the Excahnge systems too lol, unencrypted passwords, lag and scams would quickly damage Bitcoins reputation. My point is not that these issues don't already exist, but viral does not leave much room for the user to get acquainted with the technology. 

I would rather a slow gradual process where Bitcoin slowly becomes the norm, this would actually attract a lot less issues in regards to legal pressure I assume.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 12:10:08 PM

Unfortunately most viral's tend to cater to idiots, I can't see the people who are entertained by viral trends getting excited about the blockchain and cryptography.

To be honest viral might not be that great for Bitcoin anyway, how many viral's last over a year? Most last a few months before descent into oblivion. Also imagine a load of lemmings pouring into the Excahnge systems too lol, unencrypted passwords, lag and scams would quickly damage Bitcoins reputation. My point is not that these issues don't already exist, but viral does not leave much room for the user to get acquainted with the technology.  

I would rather a slow gradual process where Bitcoin slowly becomes the norm, this would actually attract a lot less issues in regards to legal pressure I assume.

Yea, I don't think "Viral" is the appropriate word. Paypal didn't go "viral", but everyone enjoyed using them and eBay allowed for them to have a *reason* to use them until they grew so large that eBay had to buy them. I guess the real question is, when will something *important* use bitcoin. Donations are not important in my book, neither is *anything* the bitcoin community creates for other bitcoiners. Amazon using it (never happen, they have Amazon coins that make them a profit), eBay using it (never gonna happen, too many issues with user fraud), Apple using it (never gonna happen, they have iTunes credits they make a fortune off of and enjoy controlling) would all make bitcoin a success in terms of the average household holding bitcoins within a few years time.

TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 04:55:37 PM

I guess the real question is, when will something *important* use bitcoin. Donations are not important in my book, neither is *anything* the bitcoin community creates for other bitcoiners. Amazon using it (never happen, they have Amazon coins that make them a profit), eBay using it (never gonna happen, too many issues with user fraud), Apple using it (never gonna happen, they have iTunes credits they make a fortune off of and enjoy controlling) would all make bitcoin a success in terms of the average household holding bitcoins within a few years time.

Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive:

• Moving wealth privately from one country to another (happening)
  • Allowing wagering on non-state-approved lotteries (happening)
  • Allowing purchase of non-state-approved substances (happening)
  • Allowing storage of wealth in non-state-controlled fiat (happening)
Viscera (OP)

Activity: 660

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 01:11:41 PM

Thanks, The most positive thing so far... a whopping 90% of you you think Bitcoin is already Viral or is going to be. Of that, 60% think it's not there yet... a good sign that while some of us are surprised that this new technology is not being embraced by Zombies, eventually even the Zombies will want Bitcoins... Zombies learned to use email too
Pumpkin

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 01:13:42 PM

Bitcoin will go viral, we just need to bombard services like Dropbox with "Hey, why don't you take my bitcoin???"
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 01:47:19 PM

Bitcoin will go viral, we just need to bombard services like Dropbox with "Hey, why don't you take my bitcoin???"

I think you're confusing 'viral' with 'rectal prolapse by mass advertisement"
CLains

Activity: 256

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:04:26 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2013, 05:23:52 PM by CLains

Bitcoin DID go viral. http://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=bitcoin#q=bitcoin&date=today%2012-m&cmpt=q

Infrastructure and transaction-flow will rise steadily (let us hope), and there will be periods of virality like the peak in the link above, spurred by spectacles of different kinds.

Viral periods will increasingly focus on more narrow themes. For now, the focus is on Bitcoin as a phenomena, and cryptocurrencies more generally. In the future, we should see single videos spiking 50-100 million hits on youtube.

If Bitcoin is adopted by Silicon Valley or some poor country, a decently crafted video concerning the situation could go apeshit virul. Consider the Kony video. The Kony video has close to 100 million views.

(Anyone know of other examples of activist videos with near that amount? We should think here with examples and by analogy to get a grip on the future of cryptocurrency virality.)
Viscera (OP)

Activity: 660

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:07:51 AM

I joined their site today, Purely to check out their forum poll... I downloaded the free one. Dropbox might convince me to upgrade if they take BTC.

Otherwise it's not an option, my spending money is BTC... heck my only other option is Gold and silver... anyone want to exchange for BTC?

Anyone from Coinabul on Bitcointalk?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: