Bitcoin Forum
November 20, 2017, 01:09:46 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could/should I use a chromebook for wallets  (Read 301 times)
HippiePyro

Activity: 112

A non technical guy in a technical world

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 07:09:26 PM

Will a chromebook work for a hardware wallet? I have one laying around,  I thought it might be a good alternative for a hardware wallet. My concern is the OS. It's uses chrome OS instead of windows, linux, or mac. I don't see any wallets for chromeOS so I'm curious if this would work for bit coin and altcoin storage. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now Coinlancer is Disrupting the Freelance marketplace!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg

Activity: 826

1JRmjyGo3kpdXcQeAeTBmGtgkC1AomHKED

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 08:31:43 PM

Will a chromebook work for a hardware wallet? I have one laying around,  I thought it might be a good alternative for a hardware wallet. My concern is the OS. It's uses chrome OS instead of windows, linux, or mac. I don't see any wallets for chromeOS so I'm curious if this would work for bit coin and altcoin storage. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

You can store public and private keys on it. You could have a look and see if you can get python on it and see if that can load a wallet from it (electrum might be capable of that).
Otherwise, can you dual boot it with another operating system? If you can get windows or linux to run on it then you're definitely able to run a wallet from there.

EDIT: you can dual boot with it - search google for instructions on how to do that if you're unsure.

HippiePyro

Activity: 112

A non technical guy in a technical world

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 10:48:11 PM

Thank you. Would dual booting make it twice as vulnerable to backdoor access issues? Or would one operating system not be able to affect another?

jackg

Activity: 826

1JRmjyGo3kpdXcQeAeTBmGtgkC1AomHKED

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 11:10:23 PM

Thank you. Would dual booting make it twice as vulnerable to backdoor access issues? Or would one operating system not be able to affect another?

There would be back door access issues.
One thing you could do is place your wallet onto a external storage drive and then use that on it's own to store the private keys. Then, plug that in only when your other OS is booted. You could also look at encrypting one of the partitions of the hard drive with a fairly strong password (you'd only need about 10-20 characters for it to be fairly difficult to brute force).

An example being NTFS EFS.
You could always make another partition that is offline by default and you bring it online only when you need to access your private keys. If you use a wallet such as electrum, then you already have your wallet file encrypted anyway.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.