Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:06:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I tell the source of a Bitcoin  (Read 782 times)
kieran5405 (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:30:14 PM

Hi,

I am newish to Bitcoins and have been receiving some etc...  I notice that some Bitcoins show in the 'from' field as coming from multiple address while some come from just 1 address.

I am looking to see how i could let users identify themselves to me so I know who sent it...in case I receive Bitcoins of the same amount around the same time from multiple users.

I presume the Bitcoins that have multiple addresses are those that come from exchanges ie.e mtgox from the user rather than say a users blockchain wallet (do blockchain bitcoins show up as 'from' the Bitcoin address that the user receives Bitcoins into).  Is there a way I can get users to identify themselves or have their exchange bitcoins coming from 1 address?

Thanks for any help?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:32:03 PM

Give them a new address for every transaction so you know who sent money to that address

kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:36:51 PM

Hi,

I am newish to Bitcoins and have been receiving some etc...  I notice that some Bitcoins show in the 'from' field as coming from multiple address while some come from just 1 address.

I am looking to see how i could let users identify themselves to me so I know who sent it...in case I receive Bitcoins of the same amount around the same time from multiple users.

I presume the Bitcoins that have multiple addresses are those that come from exchanges ie.e mtgox from the user rather than say a users blockchain wallet (do blockchain bitcoins show up as 'from' the Bitcoin address that the user receives Bitcoins into).  Is there a way I can get users to identify themselves or have their exchange bitcoins coming from 1 address?

Thanks for any help?

Hi Kieran!

Usually, the fact that you see an incoming payment as deriving from multiple addresses can be explained like this: Imagine you had to receive a payment from me of 1BTC.
I might have in my wallet exactly 1BTC: in this case you will see a single address as the origin;
I might have 3 bitcoins in just one address: in this case you will see a single address as the origin (plus a second output of 2BTC coming back to me)
I might have 0.7 BTC in on address and 0.7 in another one:  in this case you will see two originating addresses as the origin (plus a second output of 0.4BTC coming back to me).

Does that help?

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
kieran5405 (OP)

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:42:51 PM

cheers for replies...good to know info!!
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:47:56 PM

cheers for replies...good to know info!!

You welcome, happy to help!  Smiley

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:57:20 PM

Hi,

Thanks for any help?

Hi Kieran!

Usually, the fact that you see an incoming payment as deriving from multiple addresses can be explained like this: Imagine you had to receive a payment from me of 1BTC.
I might have in my wallet exactly 1BTC: in this case you will see a single address as the origin;
I might have 3 bitcoins in just one address: in this case you will see a single address as the origin (plus a second output of 2BTC coming back to me)
I might have 0.7 BTC in on address and 0.7 in another one:  in this case you will see two originating addresses as the origin (plus a second output of 0.4BTC coming back to me).

Does that help?

It is like with real money. Instead of 1 BTC take a 10$-Bill. You have 10$ in your pocket and have to pay 10$? Then the transaction has a single input (your 10$) and a single output (the 10$ to the receiver). But if you have to pay only 7$, you get back some chance money. You have one input, and two outputs (the receivers 7$, and your 3$). So when you have to pay 15$, you can use the 10$ bill and 5$ of your credit card.

The difference is, that you have less addresses in real life. You don't put the chance money in a different pocket, you just have one pocket with you. And because it is not efficient (and therefore expansive) you don't pay to one seller with cash and credit money.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
BTCnewbie

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:05:41 PM

Hi,

Thanks for any help?

Hi Kieran!

Does that help?

It is like with real money. Instead of 1 BTC take a 10$-Bill. You have 10$ in your pocket and have to pay 10$? Then the transaction has a single input (your 10$) and a single output (the 10$ to the receiver). But if you have to pay only 7$, you get back some chance money. You have one input, and two outputs (the receivers 7$, and your 3$). So when you have to pay 15$, you can use the 10$ bill and 5$ of your credit card.

The difference is, that you have less addresses in real life. You don't put the chance money in a different pocket, you just have one pocket with you. And because it is not efficient (and therefore expansive) you don't pay to one seller with cash and credit money.

What??
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: