Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:23:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Recent Dwolla KYC Experience  (Read 587 times)
Swapster (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:47:51 PM

First, let me just say that I am huge fan of Dwolla. They have been taking a lot of flack from the chargeback policy, but the truth is there are asshole people (or victims as the case may be) that initiate these chargebacks and there are really dumb banks that have let this sort of thing go on for as long as I've been alive. Due to the fact that Dwolla has to, at some point, deal with an ACH transaction, they can fall into the chargeback trap. And that's exactly what has happened.

With that said, it makes me wonder what steps Dwolla is taking to severely mitigate this risk. I don't have any inside information on that, but I can share with you my experience.

I opened my Dwolla account and they initially asked for the usual name/address/ssn. I then deposited $20 from my bank account to Dwolla. Aside from the routing/account info, there was not much more. To me, that was not a very secure KYC practice.

But then I deposited $4,000 to Dwolla, and then the level of scrutiny was quite sufficient. They asked a slew of questions including:

1. at a previous address (that they provided),  what make vehicle did I drive?
2. at an address before that, what was the name of the person that bought the house?
3. what month was my brother (name was include) born?
4. what year model is one of the cars I own (diff car from above, they provide the make model).

I think there were two others as well. Then it took about 5 to 6 business days to clear everything.

That line of questioning to verify I was who i say I am exceeded my expectation. I think some would not like the amount of time it takes, but it makes me feel a little more secure dealing with large sums of cash.

Opinions or experiences welcome.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
WeedGrassDope

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:31:57 PM

They put me to the same security test, but only when I tried to transfer money from Dwolla to CampBX.  I couldn't remember the correct answers, so I had to send them a pic of my drivers license.  I was verified within a couple days. 

The one transaction I've done USD -> Dwolla -> CampBX -> Bitcoins -> My desktop wallet went incredibly well.
Swapster (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:11:18 PM

Same path here... USD->Dwolla->Camp->BTC in my wallet.

CampBX did indeed lift the 31 day restriction the had after the MtGox/Dwolla/DHS fiasco.

I think MtGox is going to be hurt by the lack of Dwolla as a payment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: