Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:51:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KnCMiner Openday Wednesday 5th & Monday 10th June  (Read 91298 times)
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:12:26 PM

But they talk about Tier 3 datacenters and such.

Not only that, but they talk about Tier 3, 4 AND 5. Only they offer a ridiculously low 95% uptime. (Already you know it's BS when they mention Tier 5).

I hope it was the openday booze talking...

Tier Level   Requirements

Single non-redundant distribution path serving the IT equipment
Non-redundant capacity components
Basic site infrastructure with expected availability of 99.671%

Meets or exceeds all Tier 1 requirements
Redundant site infrastructure capacity components with expected availability of 99.741%

Meets or exceeds all Tier 1 and Tier 2 requirements
Multiple independent distribution paths serving the IT equipment
All IT equipment must be dual-powered and fully compatible with the topology of a site's architecture
Concurrently maintainable site infrastructure with expected availability of 99.982%

Meets or exceeds all Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 requirements
All cooling equipment is independently dual-powered, including chillers and heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems
Fault-tolerant site infrastructure with electrical power storage and distribution facilities with expected availability of 99.995%

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:26:04 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2013, 09:43:05 PM by 600watt

here is some additional information about the open day. i try to be as non-redundant as possible towards what deadterra, daggeteo and johnyj contributed:

disclaimer: those are just my observations, i am no expert in hardware (which you will notice). i had ordered jupiters, but i wanted to check if kncminer is for real before i pay. so i went there to meet the guys. they have convinced me, but that is maybe not really worth anything. asic chip designing is orsoc´s routine job. so for them convincing a non-expert should not be hard.

the open day was held at a downtown stockholm office of orsoc. it was a regular working day, there were offices with people being busy. having a downtown office of this size (maybe 5/6 rooms with overall probably 200qm) did fit my expectations about orsoc from what i learned at the epic kncminer thread in this forum.
we were greeted by andreas kennemar, sam cole, marcus erlandson and michael unnebäck. they were friendly, confident, open and relaxed but serious. it was clearly not the first time that they met with customers about projects. erlandson and unnebäck stated that they both had decades of experience with custom hardware including asic and fpga. they gave us the impression that asic bitcoin mining is actually not "high-end" when it comes to asic engineering.

all four sat in front of the guests and answered almost all the questions asked. the 28nm asics were designed by them but will be produced in asia (china?), they will order the wafers as soon as payment is closed, so they know the quantity. they will order more than needed. the asic producer is waiting, they have pre-arranged it in a way that production can start immediately. the coding is done. the assembly of the asics onto the boards will be done in sweden, but is outsorced, same with putting the boards together. the devices will be tested individually but this takes only 10 minutes. they offer to test it in a way where it mines towards the buyers wallet (but i am not sure if i got that right) they will try to come up with a plug and play set up since they designed the hardware and did the software also.
water cooling will probably not happen since hosters are not happy with fluids that are conducting electricity. they don´t expect heating/cooling to be an issue. they rather put more chips on the board and calm down the load per chip. the design is prepared to handle/cool 1000 watt input. the fans they showed looked impressive (too bad, no pic, but i will try to find something similar) they have time buffers implemented and seem very confident about the time frame.

there are no batches. they will try to deliver as constantly as orders come in. they will order more chips than needed to have always enough chips. after the delivery of their devices has started they will monitor the dollar/hashrate ratio and if this ratio starts looking bad, they will improve their products. they stated that they are not expecting large profit in the beginning.

my impression was that they are professionals with lots of years of experience. it is not an idealistic start-up, but pro´s that like to show the bitcoin community how asic design is done in the real world.  

scam ? no way. risky ? yep.
i am more concerned about difficulty in october or bitcoin price than about kncminer being able to built what they have planned. will they deliver in time ? no one knows.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:26:59 PM

here is some additional information about the open day. i try to be as non-redundant as possible towards what deadterra, daggeteo and johnyj contributed:

disclaimer: those are just my observations, i am no expert in hardware (which you will notice). i had ordered jupiters, but i wanted to check if kncminer is for real before i pay. so i went there to meet the guys. they have convinced me, but that is maybe not really worth anything. asic chip designing is orsoc´s routine job. so for them convincing a non-expert should not be hard.

the open day was held at a downtown stockholm office of orsoc. it was a regular working day, there were offices with people being busy. having a downtown office of this size (maybe 5/6 rooms with overall probably 200qm) did fit my expectations about orsoc from what i learned at the epic kncminer thread in this forum.
we were greeted by andreas kennemar, sam cole, marcus erlandson and michael unnebäck. they were friendly, confident, open and relaxed but serious. it was clearly not the first time that they met with customers about projects. erlandson and unnebäck stated that they both had decades of experience with custom hardware including asic and fpga. they gave us the impression that asic bitcoin mining is actually not "high-end" when it comes to asic engineering.

all four sat in front of the guests and answered almost all the questions asked. the 28nm asics were designed by them but will be produced in asia (china?), they will order the wafers as soon as payment is closed, so they know the quantity. they will order more than needed. the asic producer is waiting, they have pre-arranged it in a way that production can start immediately. the coding is done. the assembly of the asics onto the boards will be done in sweden, but is outsorced, same with putting the boards together. the devices will be tested individually but this takes only 10 minutes. they offer to test it in a way where it mines towards the buyers wallet (but i am not sure if i got that right) they will try to come up with a plug and play set up since they designed the hardware and did the software also.
water cooling will probably not happen since hosters/data  are not happy with fluids that are conducting electricity. they don´t expect heating/cooling to be an issue. they rather put more chips on the board and calm down the load per chip. the design is prepared to handle/cool 1000 watt input. the fans they showed looked impressive (too bad, no pic, but i will try to find something similar) they have time buffers implemented and seem very confident about the time frame.

there are no batches. they will try to deliver as constantly as orders come in. they will order more chips than needed to have always enough chips. after the delivery of their devices has started they will monitor the dollar/hashrate ratio and if this ratio starts looking bad, they will improve their products. they stated that they are not expecting large profit in the beginning.

my impression was that they are professionals with lots of years of experience. it is not an idealistic start-up, but pro´s that like to show the bitcoin community how asic design is done in the real world.  

i am more concerned about difficulty in october or bitcoin price than about kncminer being able to built what they have planned. will they deliver in time ? no one knows.

Cheers 600 Watt! Daggeteo did state no liquid-cooling, and was going to reveal more, but I don't rem seeing the explanation. Makes sense, though kinda drops the cool geek factor down a little...not important though if they can work around. Wonder if anyone will dare to clock knowing that their chips may have more to kick with a little more juice applied. Could be a modder's dream!...Wink

arch

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:36:41 PM

Thanks for sharing.

I am quite concerned with the bitcoin price as well in coming month, the market will be flooded with sellers trying to convert money to fiat....more supply than demand.
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:38:21 PM

Not only that, but they talk about Tier 3, 4 AND 5. Only they offer a ridiculously low 95% uptime. (Already you know it's BS when they mention Tier 5).

Redundant site infrastructure capacity components with expected availability of 99.741%

All IT equipment must be dual-powered and fully compatible with the topology of a site's architecture
Concurrently maintainable site infrastructure with expected availability of 99.982%

All cooling equipment is independently dual-powered, including chillers and heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems
Fault-tolerant site infrastructure with electrical power storage and distribution facilities with expected availability of 99.995%

You forgot "Tier 5" and why only "95%" uptime guarantee.

Call me when you find one. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (but hey, don't tell anyone!)
newmars

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:41:19 PM

Thanks for update. So the chips will be produced in asia by TSMC? Any concern about possible delay of chip delivery by the manufacturer?  

water cooling will probably not happen since hosters/data  are not happy with fluids that are conducting electricity. they don´t expect heating/cooling to be an issue. they rather put more chips on the board and calm down the load per chip. the design is prepared to handle/cool 1000 watt input. the fans they showed looked impressive (too bad, no pic, but i will try to find something similar) they have time buffers implemented and seem very confident about the time frame.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:43:24 PM

Call me when you find one. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (but hey, don't tell anyone!)

http://www.missioncriticalmagazine.com/articles/85506-the-advent-of-the-tier-5-data-center?v=preview

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:55:06 PM

the cooling device they showed looked similar to this one. i just googled this one, IT IS NOT WHAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY USING. i just say that something like this was on the table when they talked about cooling.

http://www.blogcdn.com/de.engadget.com/media/2009/03/b_angle-view-1.jpgfront.jpg

idee2013

Activity: 407

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:00:50 PM

water cooling will probably not happen since hosters are not happy with fluids that are conducting electricity. they don´t expect heating/cooling to be an issue. they rather put more chips on the board and calm down the load per chip. the design is prepared to handle/cool 1000 watt input. the fans they showed looked impressive (too bad, no pic, but i will try to find something similar) they have time buffers implemented and seem very confident about the time frame.

Thank you very much!! Very informativ and objective written!
retro72

Activity: 433

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:19:41 PM

Was going to ask about the cooling. Thanks for the info.
TLS freedom

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:25:08 PM

Just after a very short time running a ASIC will be profitable with free electricity only.
Team up with a student in a dorm room or a single mom in a state-sponsored house LOL Smiley

Unless I messed up the numbers a Jupiter with 350 GH/s and 1000 W power consumption, should turn a profit until difficulty is over 4 Billion. While the extra profit of no electricity cost would be nice, I think I'm good for a while. Smiley

I think you fucked up. My calculations say that at 1.5 billion difficulty the Jupiter would not turn a profit even if the price was 350 USD/btc

KNC is a 28nm ASIC so far no one is even seriously thinking about making something better to our knowledge. The free market will guarantee that if you have the best equipment you will be paid for your service providing bitcoin is still alive and well. Otherwise the miners will be shut off, stop being sold if it's no longer profitable. A dip in inflation of bitcoin (creation) will cause the price to rise and people will turn back on. Free markets provide insurance that you will make a profit if bitcoin is in demand.  http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/ at 1.5 billion diff, current price btc, 1000watt, jupiter makes $809 total 3 months. If it's already paid for by the time we reach 1.5 billion diff thats decent money for just having something plugged in... I bet btc will be much higher in a year, anything big crashes in the fraud global markets and btc is poised to receive a huge influx of newbies with $$$$$$$$.
retro72

Activity: 433

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 01:21:38 AM

I might not have the balls to invest right now, but this guy has the Koc....He must have.

He's also chairman of Koc holding, which we might need if this thing goes south  Grin
KS

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:07:23 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2013, 06:27:36 AM by KS

http://www.missioncriticalmagazine.com/articles/85506-the-advent-of-the-tier-5-data-center?v=preview

Paywall.

So, did you find an ACTUAL Tier 5 DC? Point me to it...

And you STILL have not explained why their Tier 5 is ONLY 95% uptime.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 05:40:48 AM

Amazing! I didn't even click to see when 600watt registered to this site, or be concerned about his grammar-of-choice, to read the sincerity of the content. I have more faith in this post then the majority of what Sam, et al., has written to date, thus this post has lessen my concern of KnC a tad.

See how fuckin' easy it could have been for KnC to get more people behind them and with less naysayers?

Ideally, I would have loved for ORSoC to be handling the financial aspect of this endeavor with Sam and Andreas having some other meaningful role collecting a respectable compensation. If ORSoC were the ones in change, I believe they would have collected about six times as much money. If there weren't so many missteps raising concerns, KnC would have doubled their pre-order sales.

I'm still concerned about the building being yellow and having a giant dick pertruding through the roof.  Grin
KS

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 06:34:14 AM

Just to be clear, let me quote a tiny winy bit of your source:

"The highest level of availability is Tier IV".

Nuff said.
KS

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 06:39:33 AM

Also:

" In fact, as of December 2012, there are only eight Uptime certified Tier IV constructed data centers in the world, according to the Uptime Institute’s website."

So, show me that Tier V unicorn, pretty please?
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:42:11 AM

lol 95% uptime. That's like 1.5days downtime a month / ~18days a yr..
I could offer that in my house.. using my dsl connection.. "95% uptime" and "data centre" should not be used in the same sentance.

what kind of tard buys / sells 95% uptime ?

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:56:17 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2013, 08:31:36 AM by Bitcoinorama

Paywall.

To be honest I don't really know, or care what Tier 5 is, it looks theoretical currently.

I also don't know where it appears to be mentioned as a benchmark or a promise within the context of KnC, although I'm guessing it has something to do with hosting.

You started mentioning the tiering so I posted a description from the Wikipedia page. It was informative for me so I shared it. You laboured T5, so i posted a link to the only source discussing it's implication. Whilst blocked by a paywall, the actual link was referenced in a blog discussing it from last month. Just google tier 5 data centre and you'll see it discussed by two bloggers in more depth.

Only thing I remember reading about hosting here included security and layers of access. If you've lost me, you've probably lost others too. Did they promise tier 5?!

KS

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 08:41:29 AM

Paywall.

To be honest I don't really know, or care what Tier 5 is, it looks theoretical currently.

I also don't know where it appears to be mentioned as a benchmark or a promise within the context of KnC, although I'm guessing it has something to do with hosting.

You started mentioning the tiering so I posted a description from the Wikipedia page. It was informative for me so I shared it. You laboured T5, so i posted a link to the only source discussing it's implication. Whilst blocked by a paywall, the actual link was referenced in a blog discussing it from last month. Just google tier 5 data centre and you'll see it discussed by two bloggers in more depth.

Only thing I remember reading about hosting here included security and layers of access. If you've lost me, you've probably lost others too. Did they promise tier 5?!

"17 What about security (data/facilities)? (Why self host?) no data centers? Disaster recovery plans?

Sam: Regarding security, all of the datacenters that we are speaking to are category 3,4,5 which means dual entry, badge and a pin, or a photo entry, they also have man-traps, which means you can only go through as a single man and can't take a device through their main doors. We are all about level security. 24 hour surveillance. Huge walls, gates etc. The same security as banks, redundant power, cooling etc."

And not called categories but tiers. Anyway.

Don't feel obligated to build a theory/excuse/watchamacallit. You said it yourself, you're not one of their shills. Let them run their collective mouth and trust the community to keep them honest (it's not like I'm the only one not fooled by their arguments, I'm just more vocal about it).

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 09:21:05 AM

Paywall.

"17 What about security (data/facilities)? (Why self host?) no data centers? Disaster recovery plans?

Sam: Regarding security, all of the datacenters that we are speaking to are category 3,4,5 which means dual entry, badge and a pin, or a photo entry, they also have man-traps, which means you can only go through as a single man and can't take a device through their main doors. We are all about level security. 24 hour surveillance. Huge walls, gates etc. The same security as banks, redundant power, cooling etc."

And not called categories but tiers. Anyway.

Don't feel obligated to build a theory/excuse/watchamacallit. You said it yourself, you're not one of their shills. Let them run their collective mouth and trust the community to keep them honest (it's not like I'm the only one not fooled by their arguments, I'm just more vocal about it).

No, that's understandable, and the offer still applies. Please PM me any q's for Monday and then I can copy and paste into one document and get some clarity in person. Unless you want to email them direct.

I won't be trawling through old posts prior though. This thread keeps moving too quick!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: