Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:59:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New in town need some help with cgminer  (Read 1139 times)
zion22 (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:00:02 PM

Hi Im new in here and in bitcoin world. Got few questions dont know if someone could help me.

I got 2x Ati 5770, And trying to setup solo mining (i know with this cards i should go to pool, i just want to learn hot to setup for now)

I used Guiminer before but after few hrs mining it always gives me errors i read in forum that i should use cgminer.

To start mining i use guiminer to run bitcoin in server mode and after command: cgminer -o http://127.0.0.1:8332 -u username -p password --verbose

it doesn't show how many hashes i done so far like in guiminer?

Im getting message "Share below target" ?

On the top it says without LP as user ??

Is everything ok here or im doing something wrong ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zion22 (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 09:57:58 AM

Can anyone help me please?
educatedwarrior

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 01:00:36 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2013, 01:13:45 PM by educatedwarrior

You might as well forget solo mining with a 5770 for bitcoin.   Not enough hash power.   You will never find a block competing against Asics.  You may want to find a mining pool.

Hit S for settings then save a config file then post it.

Cryptoculture Mining Pools - http://cryptoculture.net      Follow us on Twitter - https://twitter.com/cryptoculture
educatedwarrior

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 01:19:08 PM

Give coinotron mining pool a try.  That is where I started.

Cryptoculture Mining Pools - http://cryptoculture.net      Follow us on Twitter - https://twitter.com/cryptoculture
zion22 (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:44:44 PM

You might as well forget solo mining with a 5770 for bitcoin.   Not enough hash power.   You will never find a block competing against Asics.  You may want to find a mining pool.

Im getting few 6990 cards for now, I try to look for some Asics but all looks like big bubble just pr-ordering

Here sreenshot after i left to run for 56 hrs
http://s24.postimg.org/m9doxefmd/image.png 

Why it all 0? You saying not enough hash power? What hash power should be?

Here is config file:

{
"pools" : [
   {
      "url" : "http://127.0.0.1:8332",
      "user" : "****",
      "pass" : "****"
   }
]
"intensity" : "d,d",
"vectors" : "2,2",
"worksize" : "128,128",
"kernel" : "phatk,phatk",
"lookup-gap" : "0,0",
"thread-concurrency" : "0,0",
"shaders" : "0,0",
"gpu-engine" : "0-0,0-0",
"gpu-fan" : "0-85,0-85",
"gpu-memclock" : "0,0",
"gpu-memdiff" : "0,0",
"gpu-powertune" : "0,0",
"gpu-vddc" : "0.000,0.000",
"temp-cutoff" : "95,95",
"temp-overheat" : "85,85",
"temp-target" : "75,75",
"api-port" : "4028",
"expiry" : "120",
"gpu-dyninterval" : "7",
"gpu-platform" : "0",
"gpu-threads" : "2",
"hotplug" : "5",
"log" : "5",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "60",
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"verbose" : true,
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
}
Stale

Activity: 46

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:51:22 PM

Im getting few 6990 cards for now, I try to look for some Asics but all looks like big bubble just pr-ordering

Here sreenshot after i left to run for 56 hrs
http://s24.postimg.org/m9doxefmd/image.png 

Why it all 0? You saying not enough hash power? What hash power should be?

Here is config file:

{
"pools" : [
   {
      "url" : "http://127.0.0.1:8332",
      "user" : "****",
      "pass" : "****"
   }
]
"intensity" : "d,d",
"vectors" : "2,2",
"worksize" : "128,128",
"kernel" : "phatk,phatk",
"lookup-gap" : "0,0",
"thread-concurrency" : "0,0",
"shaders" : "0,0",
"gpu-engine" : "0-0,0-0",
"gpu-fan" : "0-85,0-85",
"gpu-memclock" : "0,0",
"gpu-memdiff" : "0,0",
"gpu-powertune" : "0,0",
"gpu-vddc" : "0.000,0.000",
"temp-cutoff" : "95,95",
"temp-overheat" : "85,85",
"temp-target" : "75,75",
"api-port" : "4028",
"expiry" : "120",
"gpu-dyninterval" : "7",
"gpu-platform" : "0",
"gpu-threads" : "2",
"hotplug" : "5",
"log" : "5",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "60",
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"verbose" : true,
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
}

From the screenshot you averaged 337Mhash/sec for about 2.5 days. My rigs together average ~4,400Mhash/sec, and I don't even have enough to solo mine effectively. I would second the recommendation to look at pooled mining (Coinotron is good, I've used Slush for over a year and am happy). With pooled mining your rewards are no longer based on the blocks you've found, but is based on a mixture of the blocks that are found by the entire pool along with your contribution.

You'll be much happier with pooled mining.
zion22 (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:06:05 PM

I understand what you mean with 337Mhash/sec rate it probably will take me at list  few years to find something. But is it possible? is config right? At the moment Im just learning and setting up and trying to understand everything
plonk420

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:30:06 PM

you should probably mine in a pool.

edit: oops, missed second post. but yes, i echo that.
Stale

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 09:01:17 PM

I understand what you mean with 337Mhash/sec rate it probably will take me at list  few years to find something. But is it possible? is config right? At the moment Im just learning and setting up and trying to understand everything

It is completely possible to solve a block with that hash rate, just very improbable at this point.

To give an example, I started around May of 2011 with a measly 140Mhash/sec. Basically I've been re-investing the proceeds into more mining gear, to try to make this self-sufficient (largely have been successful).

* Doubled to ~300Mhash in August 2011
* Quadrupled to ~1,200Mhash in January 2012 (with the release of ATI's 7970s)
* Added more throughout 2012/2013 to leave me with the ~4,400Mash I have now.

In total, I mined @ Slush's pool during this entire time, and he has me down for 8 blocks found in total during these two years (timestamps below). Really it wasn't until I exceeded 1Ghash/sec that I started solving blocks, and even then the difficulty certainly wasn't 10+M.

* Timestamp    2011-10-23 21:50:22
* Timestamp    2012-02-02 23:20:54
* Timestamp    2012-02-23 13:53:07
* Timestamp    2012-02-25 20:54:46
* Timestamp    2012-08-12 12:23:03
* Timestamp    2012-09-08 03:53:05
* Timestamp    2013-02-12 03:18:16
* Timestamp    2013-03-02 03:17:07

Hope this helps.
zion22 (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:35:54 PM

Thanks for answers guys I really appreciate it. I understand why you saying i should mine in pool but with mine hash rate Im getting around 0.02 bitcoins a day. By mining solo i might get lucky (very very hardly Smiley). I bought today 6990... with other 2x 5770 Im hoping to get around 800 M/hash  But which cards you could suggest to me?
Stale

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:51:19 PM

Thanks for answers guys I really appreciate it. I understand why you saying i should mine in pool but with mine hash rate Im getting around 0.02 bitcoins a day. By mining solo i might get lucky (very very hardly Smiley). I bought today 6990... with other 2x 5770 Im hoping to get around 800 M/hash  But which cards you could suggest to me?

I'm basically in the same arena right now, as I'd like to expand - but:

Historically I've liked using GPUs simply because they hold a pretty good resale value, with the downside being the power draw. Though with the rates being shown with some ASICs (Avalon = 60Ghs), I'm hesitant towards buying any more GPUs.

* I do like 7970's for BTC, though I have tried LTC with the same cards, and optimizing them can get weird. For BTC though, I haven't had any real issues with them.

* The 7990's I have are expensive, though they certainly are fast (~1,300Mhs each). However I had one die a few days after receiving it, which is painful waiting on an RMA (knowing how much they cost, and having lost 1,300Mhs of capacity). Powercolor received the RMA, and responded that they didn't have any replacements available - and that it would take 3 months for a replacement. I doubt I would get any more 7990s for this reason alone, and probably will never go Powercolor again.

I'm watching ASICs pretty closely, though the one aspect that has me nervous is the longevity of ASIC hardware. Spending 75BTC on an Avalon is a rough sell as-is, could you imagine it dying after a month? Maybe Avalon has a smooth RMA process, but I'd rather not count on it.

I love the idea of the Block Erupters (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195004.0), which basically negates the risk of a single massive failure. But 2BTC per 300Mhs is expensive, though if these dropped in price a bit I would probably stock up on 'em.

zion22 (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:37:46 PM

I used 6990 before for hashing wpa2, mybb and some other hashes so i really luck them problem is its very hard to find (at list it used to be) i sold my hash box few months ago, never tried to mine some bitcoins (regret it now)

And 7990 looks very sexy and expensive too, Im thinking to get one too in the future.

I was very close to but butterflylabs Jalapeno last month, actually I did but my bank canceled my card strait away,had very long conversations with them on the phone...  Now I got feeling all this ASIC machines a bit cloudy...

I understood you done pools and solo too? at he same time?

Historically I've liked using GPUs simply because they hold a pretty good resale value, with the downside being the power draw. Though with the rates being shown with some ASICs (Avalon = 60Ghs), I'm hesitant towards buying any more GPUs.

* I do like 7970's for BTC, though I have tried LTC with the same cards, and optimizing them can get weird. For BTC though, I haven't had any real issues with them.

* The 7990's I have are expensive, though they certainly are fast (~1,300Mhs each). However I had one die a few days after receiving it, which is painful waiting on an RMA (knowing how much they cost, and having lost 1,300Mhs of capacity). Powercolor received the RMA, and responded that they didn't have any replacements available - and that it would take 3 months for a replacement. I doubt I would get any more 7990s for this reason alone, and probably will never go Powercolor again.

I'm watching ASICs pretty closely, though the one aspect that has me nervous is the longevity of ASIC hardware. Spending 75BTC on an Avalon is a rough sell as-is, could you imagine it dying after a month? Maybe Avalon has a smooth RMA process, but I'd rather not count on it.

I love the idea of the Block Erupters (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195004.0), which basically negates the risk of a single massive failure. But 2BTC per 300Mhs is expensive, though if these dropped in price a bit I would probably stock up on 'em.

Stale

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:58:04 AM

I used 6990 before for hashing wpa2, mybb and some other hashes so i really luck them problem is its very hard to find (at list it used to be) i sold my hash box few months ago, never tried to mine some bitcoins (regret it now)

And 7990 looks very sexy and expensive too, Im thinking to get one too in the future.

I was very close to but butterflylabs Jalapeno last month, actually I did but my bank canceled my card strait away,had very long conversations with them on the phone...  Now I got feeling all this ASIC machines a bit cloudy...

I understood you done pools and solo too? at he same time?

Na, I've always gone through a pool. Primarily Slush, though Deepbit for a short time and some at Coinotron as well (to play around with scrypt mining).

When picking cards I tend to weigh the resale value pretty heavily, so I always go for the latest / fastest cards. My logic is those will retain the most value for the longest period (though some of the older cards are technically more energy efficient).

I do think ASICs are real, though there are certainly a lot of scams out there. If the Jalapeno was shipping today, for 5GHs @ $300, they would be flying off the shelves. I first saw an advertisement for them sometime last summer, hard to believe it's almost a year later and they still aren't shipping in quantity.
zion22 (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:26:00 PM

I'm agree with your theory go for the latest ones, but finances not always can agree on that Cheesy Can wait to get my 6990, and after that, Im defiantly getting 7990!

With ASICs is getting a bit scary if all of them will be realized is not much we could do with gpu machines (im talking near future).

And one more thinking was on my mind graphic cards drivers, are you using latest ones ? How should i know witch ones to use for better performance ? Do i need to try all of them ?Cheesy for
bigb0096

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:09:59 PM

Why are people looking so hard at the 7990? It's more than the price of two 7970's.
plonk420

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:55:59 AM

imo, just get a 6 slot mobo (fill with 7790s) and good power supply (GPUs should be 480-540 watts without OCing) and you're at the same price as just the 7990 before PSU and mobo. plus they're a lot easier to get ahold of and get replacements for.
beoswind

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:29:54 AM

I use 3 x 7970 and mine +3 LTC/day on mining pool

See my other post why LTC not BTC  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: