Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:48:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hi. new here  (Read 439 times)
alpha754293 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:06:45 PM

I just thought that I would play around with bitcoin mining.

I have an idle system (Intel Core i7 3930K (6-core, 3.2 GHz stock, OC'd to 4.5 GHz, EIST enabled, HTT enabled, C1E enabled) on Asus X79 Sabertooth, with 8x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 RAM, Windows 7 x64 Professional, EVGA GTX660 Superclock)

I installed the GUI found here: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3878.0

and I also downloaded the 0.8.1 bitcoin client so it got my wallet set up already.

I was able to start the GPU mining ok, but I had a hard time trying to get the CPU mining going.

It was looking for the miners/ufasoft (which I couldn't find in the directory where I un7zipped the GUI so I downloaded ufasoft separately and installed it and tried to point the GUIminer to that executable, but it still didn't work. So I'm not really sure what's wrong with it.

And so far, it was fluctuating between 70.7-71.3 MH/s so I'm not sure if that's a good number for the hardware that I'm running.

I have read that nVidia GPUs aren't very good for bitcoin mining, but the system was originally built for something else entirely (engineering simulations, more specifically FEA and CFD).

For nVidia GPUs, does it matter if I'm using the OpenCL miner or the CUDA miner (through GUIminer) or is that more of a hardware limitation, regardless of which GPU language it is running?

I've already read through those guides and it doesn't really help to answer these specific questions.

BTW...downloading the entire block transaction history with the original Bitcoin cilent (Bitcoin-qt) takes a REALLY long time. I would have thought that with it running on a peer-to-peer network that it would have been a LOTTTT faster.

Help or suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated (but I'm not at my system right now, so I might not be able to actually try them out for a little while). Thank you all in advance.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Basaj

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:15:37 PM

Hi,
I have nothing of any relevance to add but having said that I have posted something else to increase my post count and get out of noob town. Cheers!
padalin

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:31:04 PM

Pretty much the same. also thank you for sharing  Grin
DigitalCurrencyConsultant

Activity: 671
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:35:44 AM

Welcome  Cheesy

coingecko

on the moon yet?[/center]
wizer

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:37:45 AM

cool story, welcome ( newbie as well)
boogerthe2nd

Activity: 26

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:51:57 AM

With the initial download of the blockchain taking ages; that's because the entire blockchain is over 7GB...

You can avoid it by using something like Multibit as your wallet client. That syncs in considerably less time.
bitcoinsucker1

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:59:27 AM

How did you make anew topic?  Woot post number 2!

http://bitbook.biz/?referer=bitcoinsucker Bet on League of Legends games with bitcoins!
Ekonom

Activity: 30

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 04:25:55 AM

So were just supposed to spam 5 posts here to be able to converse
jedimental

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 04:43:19 AM

Yeah spam 5 posts.. lame.. I just want to sell my bfl pre orders, only reason im here. Got a single in october and a jally in december.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: