Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:46:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ALERT!! BEWARE Of PhenixCoin.com. PXC Coin. VIRUS!!  (Read 1741 times)
Charles999 (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 09:45:03 PM

Okay here's the bottom line.  Your code is suspicious that's why these virus scanners are warning us.  Just think of it this way.  You walk down the street and see the sign "Blood and Crips Territory, Dangerous, Possible chance of losing your life.."  would you continue to use that road or would you heed the warning.  

If there's a way to remove the suspicious code, why don't you do it before packaging it for miners.

Just replace the two files that are being tagged, libcurl-4.dll and pthreadGC2.dll, and then all is clean.

A simple google search will get you both files from a dll-files website.  But, again, you should also test those files.

I replaced both files and ran the phenixcoin-qt with no problem.

I was going to replace the files and zip it up to post, but hey, why trust a file I post up.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aetos

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 09:46:02 PM

Just replace the two files that are being tagged, libcurl-4.dll and pthreadGC2.dll, and then all is clean.

A simple google search will get you both files from a dll-files website.  But, again, you should also test those files.

I was going to replace the files and zip it up to post, but hey, why trust a file I post up.
those files are in cgminer also and many other wallets  
scanning revealed nothing yet.
than again unless you are going to solo mine there is no need to have a wallet lol   just mine in pools and   auto payout to an exchange:)
aetos

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 09:47:18 PM

than again unless you are going to solo mine there is no need to have a wallet lol   just mine in pools and   auto payout to an exchange:)
i am not a miner nor anything with phenix other than the donation i got of 3 coins and multipling it in the poker site:)
AbiTxGroup

Activity: 447

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:10:29 PM

First off, cgminer is a miner and not a wallet.

Secondly, the above two files that I listed are in cgminer v2.9.7-1 and are different sizes than what are in the phenix qt.  Of the two, only the libcurl-4.dll has the same "hits", the pthreadGC2.dll is clean.

In cgminer 3.0.1 and 3.1.1, neither file is used, so no problem there.

I only have a few of the other coin wallet windows client files on this computer to compare (linux laptop), but the ones that I did have also did not have these two files in them.
GSnak

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:18:17 PM

There's a lot of programs on torrents (games, CAD, graphics) that have miners built in because people assume those looking for those programs have high-end video cards, thus these programs being target by anti-malware.
Rex_Heston

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:14:27 PM

Okay here's the bottom line.  Your code is suspicious that's why these virus scanners are warning us.  Just think of it this way.  You walk down the street and see the sign "Blood and Crips Territory, Dangerous, Possible chance of losing your life.."  would you continue to use that road or would you heed the warning.  

If there's a way to remove the suspicious code, why don't you do it before packaging it for miners.

No, here's the bottom line: it doesn't work that way, and your analogy doesn't apply to this situation. It can only warn you if you have reason to believe the code is infected, or if you have no idea of its pedigree. Since you have an entire forum telling you it's fine (and believe me, I've gotten these same warnings you have, so I know what I'm talking about), then you have an idea of its pedigree, and can be assured that, barring an entire forum's worth of people having traumatic brain injuries, you can stop worrying.

Did I help you today, or just like my style? Toss a couple coins my direction!
BTC: 1GntmzMELxewbS2BagH2CqRNv9CuVfgcsb; DOGE: DLmXSyGQzkJMKYFTS12aiGUC4V38gNHu1W
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: