Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:47:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB/WTS] Casascius Holo Error / Collectible Marketplace  (Read 41249 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Chainsaw (OP)

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:17:06 PM

I'll just add a technical detail to what SgtSpike said - this is verifiable by the serial numbers shown in the image SgtSpike included.

Spike beat me to the punch on grading! He's got the first of the 1 BTC coins ever graded. I still hold the first-graded 5 and 25 :-)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elianite
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 02:55:09 PM

Id like to take this opportunity to formally present my Casascius eBook to the collector community:

The Coinfirm Casascius Guide v1.  

It's 31 pages, detailing all the coins produced by Casascius. There are photos, mintage and circulation numbers, stats, and interesting insights, history, explanations and comments on almost every page. You are GUARANTEED to learn something new!

This book is essentially the 1st chapter in what will be a much larger work detailing ALL physical Bitcoins, Litecoins, Dogecoins and all others. It is currently projected at 130+ pages, and will feature all available information on every collectible crypto-themed coin and bar released by anyone. In the future, there will also be an easily navigable gallery on the site to view the information.

You can find the eBook as a free PDF on my new site: www.coinfirm.org
*please let me know if you are unable to open it and i can post other formats.

Book thread here with the same info https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=700021.msg7909325#msg7909325

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 05:01:09 PM

Have you folks seen this yet? A rather thorough inventory of each Casascius coin by variety, mintage, redeemed, and active --> http://www.spotcoins.com/bitcoin/casascius

It's on a few other threads but some of you may not be aware yet.

It was created and shared with me by forum member Melbustus.

Hopefully more accurate information (from this analysis and Elianite's analysis) will make the market for these coins more efficient.

Chainsaw (OP)

x

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 09:15:00 PM

IC: 2012 Casascius 25BTC round, unspent, mint condition

I have an original Casascius brass 25BTC coin in its original packaging, still loaded with 25BTC, but it is hidden in a cool, dark, HEPA purified place where I am currently not and temporarily don't have access to it. Pictures can be provided later. As such, nothing is for sale but I wanted to gauge interest, but as far as I can tell, none are being sold and Casascius doesn't make them anymore Sad. According to Casascius's Bitcoin Analyzer, 486 of these specific coins were minted and 275 have been spent.

I'm considering getting it graded if you guys recommend doing so.

edit: just saw this link http://www.spotcoins.com/bitcoin/casascius
472 minted and 117 spent according to that, but I am inclined to place more credence with Casascius's official analyzer. How I got my numbers was going to that first link, copying the list of coins spent and pasting it into excel, and counting the columns.

I'd recommend getting it graded.
I have more than one, and none have graded higher than MS-65. I speculate the minting process was somehow less precise for them.
Your numbers, whichever you use, show the relative rarity (I also use the official analyzer numbers). These coins are in the 'elite club', and buyers willing to pay the premium are few and far between.

nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 08:05:38 PM

Just a quick update, we've got a new record for highest price paid for a 2013 0.5 BTC Series-2 Silver: 13.5 BTC.

I'll let the buyer decide if they want to share their identity.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 10:48:17 AM

I actually went out my way to double check my 0.5, on the strength of that!....series-3, unfortunately.  Sad

Those are still nice Smiley

Wow, that is just Wow. Seriously, I just can't even wrap my head around that.

They're starting to get into the same absolute-premium-over-face-value territory as the 10s and 25s -- check out the premiums in the OP. I'm educating the market one sale at a time! If only I hadn't sold so many to get things to this point Wink

nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:46:49 PM

This is as good a time as any to remind people how numismatics are priced.

SALE PRICE = (FACE VALUE) + (NUMISMATIC VALUE) + (SELLER'S PREMIUM)

Notice the lack of multiplication symbols; statements such as "2x face" or "10x face" have no meaning and no place in numismatics.

The FACE VALUE for a Casascius coin would be the value of the BTC stored within, plus the spot value of any precious metals.

The NUMISMATIC VALUE is an absolute value based solely on the desirability of the coin. This generally correlates with mintage, age, and condition, but other factors can be at play here as well.

The SELLER'S PREMIUM varies from seller to seller, based on a number of factors including the seller's trustworthiness, care in packaging, supporting documentation or certifications, and other factors.

The biggest point to make here is that with all other things being equal, FACE VALUE and NUMISMATIC VALUE have no bearing on one another.

nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:57:05 PM

Hi Nubbins (Nice sale btw)

My 9 0.5 S2's came from roll H998 ! (topped up with 3 S3's to fill the tube). I guess I am the reason why its not exactly matching 4 full rolls of these coins (ie 45 rather than 48)

Still have a couple available if anyone is looking. PM for pics.

Gonna get mine graded I think. (I believe 2 I have sold recently will also be getting graded). It will be interesting to see how they fair. I guess all 45 if graded will all come in at 64 - 67 .... be nice to get the only 67, if it happened like that !

Out of interest ... has anyone already had 1 graded ? Care to share what came back ?

TYVM!

I haven't sent any of mine to get graded, specifically because it'd break the PGP chain of custody. If I mail my coins off to ANACS, I can no longer say they've always been in my possession Smiley

I've seen some of my 1BTC silvers receive MS67 ratings (the buyers sent them in for grading); to my untrained eyes, the series-2 halfs are equal or better quality.

That said, there *is* a flaw in the design around the 2:00 position (sunburst extends beyond the ring) on every 0.5BTC silver I've ever seen; I don't think this is because of poor stamping, but rather an oversight in the files that were sent to the mint. Not sure how this would affect grade.

justbtcme

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 11:54:07 AM

Guys. Heres a question for the Casascius aficionados. Do we have any idea how many 5BTC were minted.....including all the blanks?

There are approx. 400 of each 5BTC S1 and 5BTC S2 still active. The green text 5BTC S2 are actually more rare than the 5BTC S1 by around 50-70 pieces depending on your source. As for the "load-it-yourself" blanks, no clue.
Chainsaw (OP)

x

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:20:12 PM

Guys. Heres a question for the Casascius aficionados. Do we have any idea how many 5BTC were minted.....including all the blanks?

There are approx. 400 of each 5BTC S1 and 5BTC S2 still active. The green text 5BTC S2 are actually more rare than the 5BTC S1 by around 50-70 pieces depending on your source. As for the "load-it-yourself" blanks, no clue.

Back when I was investing (buying) the Casascius coins, I evaluated the 5 BTC coins to be the most undervalued, based on their relative rarity and lack of relative numismatic premium.
At this point, I hold more of these coins than any other (except the 0.5 and 0.1 S3 silver pieces).

I'll also add that these (along with the 25 BTC pieces) have graded the lowest. I want to say I've only seen one MS-66, and I kick myself for having sold that one.  All I have left are MS-65 specimens.

Nightowlace

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 05:02:01 AM

I highly advise taking it out of that plastic sleeve and puttin it in something more appropriate. That sleeves chemical compound will start to break down and you will be left with a nasty greenish tone on the bar.

Ace,

do you know of a more fitting container? I still hold at least one of the 17 active S1 100 BTC bars, and it is in a similar casing.
If there is a better container, it would be helpful for me to know, and I'd also want to get word out to the two individuals that have purchased these bars from me in the past.

I don't know of anything that would fit the bearer bars but those plastic cases they are currently in are horrible. Those leave a nasty residue on coins after they sat in them for a longer period of time. I would suggest taking it out and maybe wrapping a microfiber cloth around it. If you could find a plastic airtight that it will fit in that would be best. You can read this article for a better idea of what will happen if left in the sleeve. They call it the Slime Effect.
http://collectibles.answers.com/coins-and-dollars/learn-what-a-pvc-coin-sleeve-is
Arvicco

Activity: 574

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 05:00:53 AM

Seems like British Museum is now interested in physical bitcoins: http://blog.britishmuseum.org/2014/05/12/bitcoin-how-do-we-display-the-intangible/

Start of a new global trend? Wink

iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 03:27:47 PM

I have a question maybe some of you coin gurus can help me with.  I own the following coin...
http://casascius.uberbills.com/?address=1Ag1bkCAq2A4fPUTtudfMGw52mhpEgWSKX

and according to the web site it is a "1 BTC Gold-Plated Fine Silver Casascius Round.
This is a 39mm 1oz silver round accented with gold electroplating on the rim and on the Bitcoin logo, loaded with one digital bitcoin."

the thing is...it isn't...

What am I missing here?

ig

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3199

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 06:22:39 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2014, 08:06:05 PM by odolvlobo

I can confirm, uberbills incorrectly identifies all 1btc silvers (I think!) as being silver+gold.

I believe that the gold-plated coins were not a separate run. At one point, Mike took his remaining stock of silver 1 BTC coins and had them all gold-plated.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244967.msg3359806#msg3359806

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
ducatitalia

Activity: 259

100% Positive EBAY Feedback Since 2001

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:38:26 PM

I certainly still watch it with interest, and to keep an eye out for scam posts.

When the collectible marketplace heats up, I expect traffic will here as well.

It'd be great if you were willing to share any collectible trade details, especially ones that beat previous records.

Right on...

The hottest Casascius coin on the market recently has been the 0.5BTC Silver S2, likely due to its rarity.  nubbins sold two of these ungraded for 13.5BTC each back in August (increasing record multiplier from 11 to 27)...reference link here.
Subsequently djjacket sold an MS66 example, but sale price may not have been listed on the forum, djjacket would need to confirm final price as record, although whatever it was will set a new standard on this thread for a graded variation, since none are listed...reference here.
Further note on a coin to watch--holomen has listed the first known ANACS graded MS67 example of this coin for sale here.

Other recent records set, (given that no records are listed)  Smiley would be for the 1BTC Silver S3 solid silver, the 1BTC Silver S3 silver/gold, the 2011 1BTC Brass S2 and the 5BTC Brass S2.

1BTC Silver S3 solid silver: several graded and ungraded sales in the 1.9BTC-3BTC range. Here is just one of many possible record sales...reference here for SgtSpike's listings.
1BTC Silver S3 silver/gold: several graded and ungraded sales in the 2BTC-3BTC range, possibly higher.  I personally sold one of these for 3BTC a while back, others may have sold for more--one possible reference here.
2011 1BTC Brass S2: justbtcme sold several of these to Otoh in July...reference link here.  Additional sales have taken place since in the 2-3BTC range.
5BTC Brass S2: Otoh also bought both an S1 and S2 version of this coin from justbtcme, reference link here.  Price not disclosed publicly, buyer and/or seller would need to confirm S2 price and if S1 sale beat existing 7.5BTC record.

Top Bitrated Escrow Service: Racer Great BTC Resources: www.thebtcboss.com
Interest Free Loans: Here BTC:1MBFDLK3s9Nzk7Anfzx2GvhUo7DEBqFz7W
stereotype
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 08:04:00 AM

Hi guys,
I asked in another thread what is a fair price for a 10btc casascius coin. (the one with the golden b) It is loaded and in a good condition, but not rated yet.

From 20BTC, upwards. I sold a graded (MS-67) non gold B ..... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=565467.msg6161628#msg6161628

Chainsaw (OP)

x

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
Last edit: December 24, 2014, 04:23:17 PM by Chainsaw

I'm going through and removing sales postings. If yours was deleted and is still for sale, please feel free to re-submit. I occasionally do a sweep to ensure all listings are current and valid.
Anduck - sorry for the lapse, and thanks for the kick in the shorts.  Feel free to re-post yours. I hope to complete cleanup yet today (12/24/14).

It helps prospective buyers if you use the standardized format for your listing, and include an asking price.  You can certainly include a link to the thread that offers your item exclusively - that way you can upload as many pictures and provide as much detail as you like, while letting this thread provide a high-level description for those shopping.

I've updated the initial posting to reflect the new data ducatitalia provided - thank you so much for that.  Over the next few days I hope to:

-Remove all old for sale listings. (If you receive a 'Deleted' notice, and your offerings are still current, do feel free to re-post. This will ensure all listings are current.)
-Remove most of the conversational posts.
-I'll see if I can provide more mintage data; we have more resources available today than when I created this thread.

Going forward, the last page or two of the thread should serve as a current for sale list, with the initial pages preserving a small snapshot of the collectible market's evolution over the years.

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2014, 09:50:15 PM

5BTC Series 1 (Error Hologram) graded MS-66 by ANACS for sale..hit me up with offers!

I am looking for 10BTC coin with the gold BTC
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 10:19:12 AM

Have there been any recorded sales of silver BTC0.5 s3?

I'd love to know what these have gone for in the past.

nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 01:16:19 PM

Have there been any recorded sales of silver BTC0.5 s3?

I'd love to know what these have gone for in the past.

I've bought and sold them in the 1-2 BTC range. Maybe 1.5 the last time I traded one?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: