Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:10:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dieing Avalon on eBay  (Read 1756 times)
sniffinpoprocks (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:41:10 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-ghs-bitcoin-physical-ASIC-miner-/190844255633

someone (maybe someone here) has a 1st gen that's having issues for sale. Any others had similar problems? fixable?

“Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich.”
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:46:10 PM

Do people not realize that the whole purpose of putting a daily edition of the newspaper in a photo is to show a HEADLINE that can be matched to the date?  Cheesy

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
sniffinpoprocks (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:03:40 AM

Do people not realize that the whole purpose of putting a daily edition of the newspaper in a photo is to show a HEADLINE that can be matched to the date?  Cheesy
noticed that too!

“Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich.”
whiskthecat

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:04:36 AM

Avalon website says units shipped at the beginning of march yet she claims to have been running it for 4 months?
sniffinpoprocks (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:46:10 AM

Avalon website says units shipped at the beginning of march yet she claims to have been running it for 4 months?
That explains it then, time compression is always hard on ASIC's.

Bonam

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:59:09 AM

That explains it then, time compression is always hard on ASIC's.

Haha Smiley
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:04:12 AM

They started shipping late January: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137534.0
whiskthecat

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:29:45 AM

Clears that up then, wasn't sure. Just going off the ship date from the Avalon website.
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:34:09 AM

Clears that up then, wasn't sure. Just going off the ship date from the Avalon website.

They shipped early, actually
mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:38:20 AM

I think this auction might be a scam.

This is the second time it was listed.

The seller insists on a btc deposit up front  to cover ebay fees and a little guarantee ... from chargebacks".

That is a big sign of a scam.

Also originally the auction showed an order form for a batch 2 Avalon as an image.

I was the one that recommended showing a newspaper in the image. Seems like he took my advice.

I would be very wary of an auction that demanded a deposit up front in something non-refundable like a bank transfer or bitcoins.
biladelph

Activity: 184
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:52:13 AM

From the images I've seen of Avalon Asics I've never seen them with multiple Ethernet ports and also it has a SonicWall part which is a network security company that is owned by Dell. The auctioner also only provides 1 photo of this "miner" and doesn't show the full device. I see a sticker at the top that says "Rack A", I'm getting the feeling that this is just some ordinary server that has a similiar looking part that identifies with the Avalon Asic (the 3 fan grills). Combined with the fact that the seller wants you to contact them before placing a bid does scream out scam.

A shame as I was about to bid but thought better of it.
BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 08:20:08 AM

Looks like the Sonicwall thing is just placed on top of the Avalon.

One way to recognise an Avalon is look at the bolts and nuts holding it together. It's a very special and ingenious way to construct a box like that, as long as you are careful not to drop a nut in the box and forget to get it out...
It's the first time I have seen such a way of constructing an aluminium box, pretty unique!

Do a search on bitcointalk.org for some Avalon images and compare them to the eBay picture, you'll see what I mean.

Don't hold me liable, but to me this looks like a silver Avalon.
(I do have one myself).

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 11:51:57 AM

Plus the local pickup recommended, and the fact he's selling it as broken. I doubt a scammer would do that. Hmmm interesting, don't these things have a warranty or is it just "If it goes wrong, your problem"
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:06:34 PM

From the images I've seen of Avalon Asics I've never seen them with multiple Ethernet ports and also it has a SonicWall part which is a network security company that is owned by Dell. The auctioner also only provides 1 photo of this "miner" and doesn't show the full device. I see a sticker at the top that says "Rack A", I'm getting the feeling that this is just some ordinary server that has a similiar looking part that identifies with the Avalon Asic (the 3 fan grills). Combined with the fact that the seller wants you to contact them before placing a bid does scream out scam.

Really?  Seriously?  You can't grasp the concept that it might be sitting on a shelf in a rack, and might have something (like a Sonicwall firewall) sitting on top of it?   Roll Eyes  Looks pretty obvious to me.

ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 2536

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 01:07:45 PM

Really?  Seriously?  You can't grasp the concept that it might be sitting on a shelf in a rack, and might have something (like a Sonicwall firewall) sitting on top of it?   Roll Eyes  Looks pretty obvious to me.
Indeed... definitely a rack-mounted shelf with the avalon and a sonicwall sitting ontop of eachother... maybe he should have spaced them out a bit?   Tongue

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤
(¯`·.¸¸.-> °º [ BPIP ] º° <-.¸¸.·´¯)
๑๑۞๑,¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸,๑۞๑๑
:•: Most Merit | Most Activity | Most Trusted | Most Recognized
:•: Flag Log | Most Merited Threads | DT Change Log | Most Deleted by Mods
:•: ıllıllı Sheeple ~ The System ~ Free World ~ Don't look down (NSFW) ~ Hook ~ Brainwashed ıllıllı
Egon

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:13:32 PM

BOARD DEVS - good opportunity to get CHIPS... 240 up for grabs if someone can go put eyes-on.

Based on quoted hash rate could be one bad module which would still be 80 chips for development if you wanted to hash with the other two modules.
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 11:39:44 PM

and its gone. Either sold off-ebay or scam gone bad.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: