Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:24:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox UP other LOWER : my theory !  (Read 2511 times)
DoomDumas (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:26:11 AM

I think because of the MtGox/Dwolla thing, lots of MtGox user are in the process of exiting MtGox... IMO, the safest way is to buy BTC in MtGox with all remaining fiat, then withdraw the BTC.
Most of those doing this would transfert the BTC to another exchange and sell a part of those to have BTC and fiat in the newly adopted exchange to restart trading.

Is this a good theory ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jozzaboy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:29:46 AM

Welcome to one week ago  Grin

BTC: 16whd9eNR8WY9nVhUUevNYMbQB2eS1jtYF
I also accept precious metals, no paper money please.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 01:38:31 AM

this will do wonders for distribution Wink

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:05:20 AM

I have a better theory. My theory is

"There has always been as much as a $10 difference between multiple exchanges, but the DHS/Dwolla news made people forget about this and start pitching zany theories to explain something that was not actually a new phenomenon. The effect on Gox's price and the price on other exchanges was negligible and may only have been attributable to aforementioned news for a week or so."

Faraday

Activity: 240

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:11:15 AM

You sir must be a genius, how you came up with such a unique and interesting theory that has never been brought up before is one of the greatest mysteries to ever face man kind  Roll Eyes
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:30:13 AM

CampBX just briefly peaked in price over Gox.  Kind of odd.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:47:55 AM

You sir must be a genius, how you came up with such a unique and interesting theory that has never been brought up before is one of the greatest mysteries to ever face man kind  Roll Eyes

He's even more genius than that. He built a time machine and went back into the past and discovered this marvelous theory, and brought it to the future to share with us.

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 04:46:55 AM

If you check out blockchained.com you can see both fiat and btc are leaving the site.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:08:51 AM
Last edit: May 24, 2013, 01:14:20 PM by Blitz­

MtGox has historically had higher prices because a) money is (or used to be) easier to transfer to MtGox and b) MtGox leads the price in times of volatility.

I never paid attention to it when MtGox lead the prices falling though. I would assume it is the opposite then?
pwi

Activity: 118

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 10:17:27 AM

CampBX just briefly peaked in price over Gox.  Kind of odd.

OP = sleeping beauty. Arbitrage among  bx : others is over unless it reverses in the coming days.

I'm no big trader, but I do like to test my crystal ball. I don't always test my ball, but when I do, I prefer campbx.

My prediction = campbx will be the traders' market of choice inside of 12 months. Higher variance and volatility will lure the traders. Ease of deposit/withdrawal will lure the newbies. Newbies will in turn lure more experienced traders. So on and so forth.  Liquidity will follow. Campbx following the rules and regulations will pay dividends for bx in the medium term.

Click the link in my sig to join Campbx if you're feeling froggy.

Buy my PS3 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216554.msg2282760#msg2282760

Sign up with campbx:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=3lo7dSqrLOu Yes it's an affiliate link, but you will not see me touting anything I do not both believe in and make extensive use of myself. Campbx is one of those things.
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:50:29 PM

I moved 50% of my assets/trading over the CampBX after the Dwolla bullshit.  Loving it so far.
Inedible

Activity: 686

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:53:34 PM

You sir must be a genius, how you came up with such a unique and interesting theory that has never been brought up before is one of the greatest mysteries to ever face man kind  Roll Eyes

I don't get it.

OP didn't claim to be a genius.

He didn't claim to be the first to think of it - he's just postulating a theory.

It'll certainly make him think before posting though lol

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood. 1N6rmaDiPf8ke3mx8217NykAMDZXkX713x
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:08:45 PM

I moved 50% of my assets/trading over the CampBX after the Dwolla bullshit.  Loving it so far.
That's cool if you trade so little that you don't incur costly slippage there. Buy 1k BTC and you'll send the price to $1000 there.

Sorry guys, MtGox isn't going away and it actually makes sense for the market to heavily allocate resources to them. They are likely the only ones who can remotely afford to deal with all of the regulatory bullshit in the US.
Inedible

Activity: 686

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:54:07 PM

That's cool if you trade so little that you don't incur costly slippage there. Buy 1k BTC and you'll send the price to $1000 there.

Sorry guys, MtGox isn't going away and it actually makes sense for the market to heavily allocate resources to them. They are likely the only ones who can remotely afford to deal with all of the regulatory bullshit in the US.

It seems like they're not willing to take on that responsibility, hence the acrimonious relationship with Coinlab.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood. 1N6rmaDiPf8ke3mx8217NykAMDZXkX713x
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:56:58 PM

I use CampBX (I use multiple exchanges.) But CampBX sucks. The interface, that is. The interface is slow and annoying. I have to load 2 entire pages just to place a limit order. At bitfloor everything was in a cute little interface all on one page and I didn't have to load entire pages to do anything; there were cute little dialogue boxes. Shtylman had shtyle. On CampBX the page loads are slow and I have to endure 2 of them to place an order, then it doesn't even bring me back to the trade screen it brings me back to home, so that's 3 page loads, oh and half the time it just glitches and brings me back to the home screen again.

I still use it. All that is really not too much of an inconvenience since if I really traded that much I'd just use the API. I log on maybe once every few days. The deposit methods are great.

And yes, you'll see random spikes and dips on CampBX because of the slippage.
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 06:02:52 PM

As can be seen, once volume picks up, MtGox's volume rises in relation to bitstamp. While bitstamp used to be 50%, it is now 1/3.

MtGox leads the price, the others follow. MtGox is obviously still king.
pwi

Activity: 118

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 08:16:42 PM

I use CampBX (I use multiple exchanges.) But CampBX sucks. The interface, that is. The interface is slow and annoying. I have to load 2 entire pages just to place a limit order. At bitfloor everything was in a cute little interface all on one page and I didn't have to load entire pages to do anything; there were cute little dialogue boxes. Shtylman had shtyle. On CampBX the page loads are slow and I have to endure 2 of them to place an order, then it doesn't even bring me back to the trade screen it brings me back to home, so that's 3 page loads, oh and half the time it just glitches and brings me back to the home screen again.

I still use it. All that is really not too much of an inconvenience since if I really traded that much I'd just use the API. I log on maybe once every few days. The deposit methods are great.

And yes, you'll see random spikes and dips on CampBX because of the slippage.

I can't argue with the multiple page load dissent. Bx can be slow at times and down at others. Show me an exchange that is immune to these issues. Campbx's accessibility for the casual trader makes it appealing for some of us. The withdrawals at Campbx are as equally facilitated as the deposits, which is more than can be said for most exchanges.

Personally, I don't mind the 'random' spikes and dips. These represent opportunities. Since the gox/dwolla mess, the frequency of these anomalies has decreased somewhat.

If you press "Go Back" after executing a trade, you will be returned to the trading platform if I'm not mistaken.

My biggest complaint with Campbx, other than those already mentioned, is that the ticker is not on each page. Also, you have to log in to see bid/ask/last. It is annoying. If anyone from Campbx is reading this thread, please fix these issues.

Buy my PS3 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216554.msg2282760#msg2282760

Sign up with campbx:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=3lo7dSqrLOu Yes it's an affiliate link, but you will not see me touting anything I do not both believe in and make extensive use of myself. Campbx is one of those things.
DoomDumas (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 09:53:23 PM

I have a better theory. My theory is

"There has always been as much as a $10 difference between multiple exchanges, but the DHS/Dwolla news made people forget about this and start pitching zany theories to explain something that was not actually a new phenomenon. The effect on Gox's price and the price on other exchanges was negligible and may only have been attributable to aforementioned news for a week or so."

For more than a month, CaVirtex had priced bitcoin 5% to 10% higher than Gox..
DoomDumas (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 09:54:14 PM

MtGox has historically had higher prices because a) money is (or used to be) easier to transfer to MtGox and b) MtGox leads the price in times of volatility.

I never paid attention to it when MtGox lead the prices falling though. I would assume it is the opposite then?

In the month of the last bubble, CaVirtex leaded the price..

And Virtex had no downtime during peak volume !  The site may have became a bit slow, but not down at all... And they boosted their capacity to cope with traffic peak last month !

I see a promising exchange there, for sure the best for Canadians Wink
Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 10:00:14 PM

Really? Libertybit offers 0.5% fees, as opposed to the terrible 3%.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: