Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:24:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could bitcoin be used to stop trolling by monetize the trolls? BitTroll?  (Read 849 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:36:54 AM

Ok, on Reddit/bitcoin you can send some bitcoin to pay somebody by typing. No need for a wallet address, etc. Sorry I do not have a link for a direct example, but those who know what I am talking about could post it here and who is behind it.

I was thinking the same people behind this cool coding could help a website/blog from all those trolls and have the tipping go to the website wallet.

Banning a troll is useless as he will come back, create a new ID and so forth. Trolls are working hard everyday. Why not make them work for the website they are trolling anyway? Instead of voting down a troll, you send a bitTroll to help the site. The bittroll value will be fixed and small. The bitTroll ONLY goes to the website wallet. The website, next to a tipping jar would have the keyword you would use if you want to help out getting the trolls away. Of course, there will be no guaranty the troll will vanish but he will be making money to the site and the troll will know about it by tracking how much of a good bitTroll mule he is.

By posting often the trolls help the site make money.

Simple idea based on the other idea on tipping someone on reddit using bitcoin, but I have no coding skills.

Any takers?

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GGGGG

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:47:11 AM

Interesting idea, but I don't think most trolls care enough whether or not they are financially harming or helping the websites they are trolling on - it's more about the reaction they get from other posters. If anything, it might encourage them as they would enjoy seeing other people spend their own money because of the trolling.

I believe the adage holds true: DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. Internet trolls are unpredictable and any sort of reaction, especially one involving money, is likely to encourage them.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:26:39 PM

Interesting idea, but I don't think most trolls care enough whether or not they are financially harming or helping the websites they are trolling on - it's more about the reaction they get from other posters. If anything, it might encourage them as they would enjoy seeing other people spend their own money because of the trolling.

I believe the adage holds true: DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. Internet trolls are unpredictable and any sort of reaction, especially one involving money, is likely to encourage them.

I know what you mean, but that is why they will make money to the website they are trolling and not to themselves. You are not in this case feeding the troll as the troll becomes a mule for the website. I am sure it will be fun for the troll to be trolling MORE when learning about the bitTroll deal at the very start. By definition the troll is an annoyance and won't go away. You don't feed the troll. You don't have to answer back to him/her. When you reply to the troll, you enter the keyword that would trigger a troll donation directly to the webmaster.

By the way this is not a concept but a proven technology. On reddit when someone makes a comment you like you can reply with keywords that will send a x amount of bitcoins directly to that person's wallet by replying. My twist would be that the keyword linked to trolling would send a donation to the webmaster's wallet and not the person commenting like right now.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 03:43:28 PM

Ok, on Reddit/bitcoin you can send some bitcoin to pay somebody by typing. No need for a wallet address, etc. Sorry I do not have a link for a direct example, but those who know what I am talking about could post it here and who is behind it.

I was thinking the same people behind this cool coding could help a website/blog from all those trolls and have the tipping go to the website wallet.

Banning a troll is useless as he will come back, create a new ID and so forth. Trolls are working hard everyday. Why not make them work for the website they are trolling anyway? Instead of voting down a troll, you send a bitTroll to help the site. The bittroll value will be fixed and small. The bitTroll ONLY goes to the website wallet. The website, next to a tipping jar would have the keyword you would use if you want to help out getting the trolls away. Of course, there will be no guaranty the troll will vanish but he will be making money to the site and the troll will know about it by tracking how much of a good bitTroll mule he is.

By posting often the trolls help the site make money.

Simple idea based on the other idea on tipping someone on reddit using bitcoin, but I have no coding skills.

Any takers?

Another way that would work would be having a tiny cost to post and a system that would reward good or even fair stuff with a return of that cost while troll posts and all replies to troll posts get no return.  An enhanced version would have the costs to repetitive trollers go up, while others costs go down.  

ktttn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 03:51:21 PM

PAYIN' TEH TROLL TOLL.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:57:55 PM

I like this thread. It would be great to see some kind of troll-proofing mechanism as robust as BTC itself. It needs lots of checks and balances, I suppose. Perhaps link it to the present "ignore" system? The ignore system almost works well for me but people keep quoting trolls I have ignored so I have to read snippets of their stuff after all.

In dirtspace some service clubs have a "pay to speak" rule that seems to work for them. Anyone wanting the floor to make a point in a meeting has to pay a token $1 to the group's coffer. I imagine it has a mild "think before you speak" effect, although you could argue that it supports a "money talks" culture.

Here we tend to reward posts with promotions, which might have the unintended consequence of making some people look for shortcuts to hero status by trolling.

I'd guess that the ubiquitous nutbar trolls are the unpredictable ones, while the agenda-driven ones are probably more predictable. Possibly different defenses are needed for each type.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: