Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:56:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need a second Trezor for recovering?  (Read 1070 times)
Koontas (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 10:44:54 PM

Is it possible to recover my trezor wallet without a new trezor device? For example with Electrum? Just want to make sure the seed is correct before updating the firmware.

Don't trust any exchange!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 11:32:28 PM

Is it possible to recover my trezor wallet without a new trezor device? For example with Electrum? Just want to make sure the seed is correct before updating the firmware.

You can use Electrum wallet to recover your Trezor. They use same scheme for creating the seed so they are compatible. You can look up for other wallets that use it too.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 12:31:58 AM

You can use Electrum wallet to recover your Trezor. They use same scheme for creating the seed so they are compatible. You can look up for other wallets that use it too.

If you need to do it on electrum, download electrum from here.
Then open electrum and follow the following commands:
1. select "standard wallet"
2. select "I already have a seed"
3. put in your seed and hit the "options" button and check the bip39 box.
4. use the default derivation path, I think it's the right one, for trezor it's either m/44'/0'/0' or m/44'/0'/2' (the apostrophies are important)
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 01:58:22 AM

If you recover your Trezor by entering the seed into another wallet consider your bitcoin private keys compromised. As soon as possible get a new Trezor, initialize with a new seed and send your coins to addresses in the new Trezor. Most Trezor users keep a spare around just in case their main Trezor malfunctions or is lost. Trezors are pretty reliable but anything electronic can break. I have been using them since they were introduced and had one go bad under warranty and was replaced for free.

Koontas (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:34:10 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2017, 09:46:59 AM by Koontas

If you recover your Trezor by entering the seed into another wallet consider your bitcoin private keys compromised. As soon as possible get a new Trezor, initialize with a new seed and send your coins to addresses in the new Trezor. Most Trezor users keep a spare around just in case their main Trezor malfunctions or is lost. Trezors are pretty reliable but anything electronic can break. I have been using them since they were introduced and had one go bad under warranty and was replaced for free.
You are right man. I have ordered a Trezor some minutes ago. Would be stupid to enter my trezor priv keys in a software wallet. Risk is too high.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 03:32:42 PM

You are right man. I have ordered a Trezor some minutes ago. Would be stupid to enter my trezor priv keys in a software wallet. Risk is too high.

Smart. When you set up your duplicate Trezor make sure to use advanced recovery. I am surprised they still offer the original recovery method.

Koontas (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 07:12:04 PM

Smart. When you set up your duplicate Trezor make sure to use advanced recovery. I am surprised they still offer the original recovery method.
Thanks for mentioning that. I have only found the "normal" recovery method. Right after purchasing my new Trezor I saw that there will come a new Trezor in Q4. Do you tink it would be better to wait for that one?

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 07:20:33 PM

Thanks for mentioning that. I have only found the "normal" recovery method. Right after purchasing my new Trezor I saw that there will come a new Trezor in Q4. Do you tink it would be better to wait for that one?

You have to update the firmware to latest but you should see an option for advanced recovery. AFAIK the Trezor 2 will not obsolete the current Trezors, just have a colour screen, probably larger and easier for developers to add new coins. I look forward to buying one when ready to ship. If you do not yet have a spare I would certainly buy one now and not wait. Everyone needs a spare.

Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 10:07:19 PM

You have to update the firmware to latest but you should see an option for advanced recovery. AFAIK the Trezor 2 will not obsolete the current Trezors, just have a colour screen, probably larger and easier for developers to add new coins. I look forward to buying one when ready to ship. If you do not yet have a spare I would certainly buy one now and not wait. Everyone needs a spare.

Advanced Recovery in essence works like the Trezor PIN.  It means even a malware infested computer doesn't see the words being entered.  Obviously nobody is recommending use of an infested computer just because some security is in place.

One other add for readers is that IF you are going to create an Electrum wallet from a Trezor restore (maybe you CANNOT wait), then it would be prudent to use a two computer cold wallet approach.  At least that way the full wallet (containing SEED and private keys) will never be online.  Then you can create a watching wallet on your online machine and SIGN from the cold machine.  STILL, when the new Trezor arrives create a completely new wallet.  Even with advanced recovery I would NEVER use a wallet where any SEED was even on a cold machine.  Its why you are paying for a hardware wallet.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
Koontas (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 09:31:52 AM

Advanced Recovery in essence works like the Trezor PIN.  It means even a malware infested computer doesn't see the words being entered.  Obviously nobody is recommending use of an infested computer just because some security is in place.

One other add for readers is that IF you are going to create an Electrum wallet from a Trezor restore (maybe you CANNOT wait), then it would be prudent to use a two computer cold wallet approach.  At least that way the full wallet (containing SEED and private keys) will never be online.  Then you can create a watching wallet on your online machine and SIGN from the cold machine.  STILL, when the new Trezor arrives create a completely new wallet.  Even with advanced recovery I would NEVER use a wallet where any SEED was even on a cold machine.  Its why you are paying for a hardware wallet.
Unfortunately I don't have a second computer as a cold wallet machine. But as I wrote in the above posts I have already ordered a new trezor. Now I am patiently waiting for it getting shipped. But thanks for your answer man.

Koontas (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 08:12:07 PM

The second Trezor arrived today. I will start with the recovery process according to https://blog.trezor.io/using-advanced-recovery-on-trezor-4af0eb53c3bb tonight and will let you know if everything went successfully.

Koontas (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 06:34:19 PM

The second Trezor arrived today. I will start with the recovery process according to https://blog.trezor.io/using-advanced-recovery-on-trezor-4af0eb53c3bb tonight and will let you know if everything went successfully.
Everything worked. It was hard to type in 25 words via the pin system and it costs a lot of time. But is was worth of it. Thanks for you help guys.

XXX_BTC1@

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 12:00:02 PM

yes you need because one trezor is not enough so try to use another one also. from that wallet to you have to get more information. use of trezor had more security so try to use it very carefully. if you have to get any doubts search in Internet. really Google giving more solutions for any problems. trezor is advanced technology it can work more accurately. i think electreum wallet recover to your trezor.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: