Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:16:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core Shuts Down When Attempting To Send BTC  (Read 1644 times)
AlphaSniper101 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 10:56:59 PM

I just tried to send some coins to a certain address, and after entering my passphrase, it force shuts down Bitcoin Core. The message I get has something to with the runtime or something, as it says it shut down unusually. It has already done this twice, and when reopened, Bitcoin Core has to catch up the last 6 hours (every time).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 12:02:57 AM

What is the exact error that you get? Can you post a screenshot of it?

Can you please also post the debug.log file?

nk007

Activity: 11

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 09:06:46 PM

Hi,

Im having a similar problem.

Every time I go to the console, type walletpassphrase with the password it shuts down. If I enter a wrong password it says incorrect password. Same thing for trying to send coins.

I haven't finished downloading the full blockchain yet do I need to wait till that finishes? and is there any way to use less space to download the blockchain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 11:03:44 PM

Hi,

Im having a similar problem.

Every time I go to the console, type walletpassphrase with the password it shuts down. If I enter a wrong password it says incorrect password. Same thing for trying to send coins.

I haven't finished downloading the full blockchain yet do I need to wait till that finishes? and is there any way to use less space to download the blockchain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you do have to wait for the entire blockchain to syncronise.
You can run -prune=<size> to limit the size of the blockchain with "<size>" being replaced by a size in megabytes. Although you can always look at alternative clients for this.

If that doesn't work, as achow said, we need the debug.log to get more information. Also, if it's in windows, try signing the transaction in Safe Mode and see if the transaction can be signed there just to test if it's another application interfering with your core or if it is the core itself with the problem.
nk007

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 09:53:03 PM

Thanks jackg

Is there any other client that can do it, bitcoin core has been running for almost 3 days now and I'm only 30%, any simple way or application please let me know, in the meantime ill keep downloading the blockchain.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 10:12:50 PM

Thanks jackg

Is there any other client that can do it, bitcoin core has been running for almost 3 days now and I'm only 30%, any simple way or application please let me know, in the meantime ill keep downloading the blockchain.

Personally, I'd suggest electrum.
That doesn't need the entire block chain to be downloaded.
If you've already sent some btc to an address in bitcoin core just export the private key and import it to electrum using the options: standard wallet > public or private keys.

The easiest way to get your private keys:
Go to "help" > "debug" > "console". Then type dumpprivkey [address]. And you should be able to get your coins into electrum (you can also sweep the coins into a fresh wallet in electrum with a seed but it'll cost you a bit in transaction fees).
nk007

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 12:06:21 AM

Thats my issue, I can't dump the privatekeys, when i try bitcoin core shuts down. So I guess ill wait till the blockchain loads then try.

As you stated before I would need to wait for the entire blockchain to download before exporting the private keys. Unless I misunderstood.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 12:12:09 AM

Thats my issue, I can't dump the privatekeys, when i try bitcoin core shuts down. So I guess ill wait till the blockchain loads then try.

As you stated before I would need to wait for the entire blockchain to download before exporting the private keys. Unless I misunderstood.

If you're using Windows force it to boot in safe mode abd get it from there.
If not, move to the daemon folder and run the commands there, passing each as a parameter. Using bitcoin-cli.
E.g bitcoin-cli -dumpwalet
(If you have a password, that'll have to be inserted somewhere also).
nk007

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 03:25:37 AM

Ok so here is the error I get when entering password,

below is the log file

Marker - Sep 24, 2017, 11:20:39 PM
2017-09-25 03:21:27 socket recv error Operation timed out (60)
2017-09-25 03:21:28 receive version message: /Satoshi:0.14.2/: version 70015, blocks=486855, us=99.228.51.53:57357, peer=8
2017-09-25 03:21:31 socket recv error Operation timed out (60)
2017-09-25 03:21:31 connect() to [2002:e98:5a78::e98:5a78]:8333 failed: No route to host (65)
2017-09-25 03:21:32 receive version message: /Satoshi:0.14.0/: version 70015, blocks=486855, us=99.228.51.53:57363, peer=9
2017-09-25 03:21:48 The wallet is probably corrupted: Some keys decrypt but not all.

I try different passwords and I get wrong password msg, I enter the correct one, bitcoin core shuts down instantly. Note the blocks are fully up to date and downloaded.
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 03:37:54 AM

2017-09-25 03:21:48 The wallet is probably corrupted: Some keys decrypt but not all.
Your wallet is corrupted. As the error message says, some keys are decrypting, but not all, and that will cause Bitcoin Core to intentionally shut down in order to prevent any potential for coin loss.

First backup your wallet.dat file. Then you can try using Bitcoin Core's -salvagewallet startup option (start Bitcoin Core with the -salvagewallet command line argument). And you can also try using pywallet to recover your private keys.

nk007

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 05:35:20 AM

How do I run the salvagewallet option? I don't see it in the console as an option.

Pardon my lack of knowledge in this field but I don't know how to run pywallet either. If theres step by step instructions for the salvage wallet or pywallet options that you could give that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 03:09:25 PM

How do I run the salvagewallet option? I don't see it in the console as an option.

Pardon my lack of knowledge in this field but I don't know how to run pywallet either. If theres step by step instructions for the salvage wallet or pywallet options that you could give that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stop Bitcoin Core. Right click the shortcut you are using to start Bitcoin Core and choose properties. In the Target box, add -salvagewallet to the end of whatever is already in that box with a space between what is already there and -salvagewallet. Click OK. Double click the shortcut to start Bitcoin Core. Once Bitcoin Core has started, edit the shortcut again (while Bitcoin Core is still running) and remove what you just added.

Pywallet has instructions for running it. You will need to use the command prompt.

nk007

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 12:13:19 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2017, 02:56:39 AM by nk007

I couldn't figure out the salvage wallet command on mac, but this is as far as I got with pywallet

Installed python, and downloaded pywallet

Opened terminal and got this

Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$ ./pywallet.py --dumpwallet --datadir=/Users/N/Desktop/BT --wallet=wallet.dat --passphrase=******
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./pywallet.py", line 23, in <module>
    from bsddb.db import *
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/bsddb/__init__.py", line 67, in <module>
    import _bsddb
ImportError: No module named _bsddb
Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$ --dumpwallet --datadir=/Users/N/Desktop/BT --wallet=wallet.dat --passphrase=******
-bash: --dumpwallet: command not found
Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$ --dumpwallet --datadir=/Users/N/Desktop/BT --wallet=wallet.dat
Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$ --dumpwallet --datadir=/Users/N/Desktop/BT/wallet.dat
Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$ --dumpwallet --datadir=/Users/N/Desktop/BT/wallet.dat --passphrase=******
Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$

Tried couple different command lines with no luck, Am I typing something wrong here? Thanks in advanced.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 01:32:52 PM

I couldn't figure out the salvage wallet command on mac, but this is as far as I got with pywallet

Installed python, and downloaded pywallet

Opened terminal and got this

Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$ ./pywallet.py --dumpwallet --datadir=/Users/N/Desktop/BT --wallet=wallet.dat --passphrase=******
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./pywallet.py", line 23, in <module>
    from bsddb.db import *
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/bsddb/__init__.py", line 67, in <module>
    import _bsddb
ImportError: No module named _bsddb
Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$ --dumpwallet --datadir=/Users/N/Desktop/BT --wallet=wallet.dat --passphrase=******
Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$ --dumpwallet --datadir=/Users/N/Desktop/BT --wallet=wallet.dat
Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$ --dumpwallet --datadir=/Users/N/Desktop/BT/wallet.dat
Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$ --dumpwallet --datadir=/Users/N/Desktop/BT/wallet.dat --passphrase=******
Ns-iMac:pywallet-master N$

Tried couple different command lines with no luck, Am I typing something wrong here? Thanks in advanced.

When you download a piece of software.you have to install it's dependencies. The error you got was from not installing that specific module. Look at the information on the build info to get it.
Aldo check your running python2.
Moeda

Activity: 1524
Merit: 270

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 08:30:59 AM

Thanks for the information, good luck always. I am pleased to join here. New information is very useful for me.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 04:21:32 PM

Thanks for the information, good luck always. I am pleased to join here. New information is very useful for me.

Did you find the module?
You'll also need bitcointools as a Python module as well for full functionality. 
nk007

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 04:19:52 AM

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to use pywallet,

downloaded pywallet, downloaded pyton and installed it, its in my applications now,

downloaded macports pkg and ran it as well as installed all the dependencies but I have no idea what to do next,

what app to open, what to type, etc. I have little to no experience when it comes to terminal on mac.
nk007

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 05:13:09 AM

Ok I came back to this and this is where I got to, running Mac OS

1. Installed Python
2. Installed Macports
3. Installed xcode
4. Opened terminal typed sudo port install python27 py27-twisted py27-pip py-bsddb python_select (installed all dependencies that came up in terminal)
5. typed sudo port select --set python python27
6. typed sudo easy_install ecdsa
7. downloaded pywallet.py from GitHub link

Now I'm stuck and not sure what to do please any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what to type in terminal (newbie with terminal)

Note: I did manage to type /Users/n/Downloads/pywallet-master/pywallet.py --web then went to http://localhost:8989 on my browser and got into the pywallet 2.2 web interface. However in the interface when clicking dumpwallet I get error on the site "error in dump page" not sure what commands to type in terminal, need assistance.

Also note in terminal keeps saying 'ecdsa' package is not installed, pywallet won't be able to sign/verify messages (although I have installed it)

Thank you in advanced.

Summary, installed bitcoin core replaced wallet.dat with my old back backup, fully synced when trying to send I enter password and bitcoin core shuts down. When entering wrong password it says wrong password, when I enter correct it auto shuts down. Need to know how I can get my private keys back out of this wallet.dat
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 10:33:30 PM

Ok I came back to this and this is where I got to, running Mac OS

1. Installed Python
2. Installed Macports
3. Installed xcode
4. Opened terminal typed sudo port install python27 py27-twisted py27-pip py-bsddb python_select (installed all dependencies that came up in terminal)
5. typed sudo port select --set python python27
6. typed sudo easy_install ecdsa
7. downloaded pywallet.py from GitHub link

Now I'm stuck and not sure what to do please any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what to type in terminal (newbie with terminal)

Note: I did manage to type /Users/n/Downloads/pywallet-master/pywallet.py --web then went to http://localhost:8989 on my browser and got into the pywallet 2.2 web interface. However in the interface when clicking dumpwallet I get error on the site "error in dump page" not sure what commands to type in terminal, need assistance.

Also note in terminal keeps saying 'ecdsa' package is not installed, pywallet won't be able to sign/verify messages (although I have installed it)

Thank you in advanced.

Summary, installed bitcoin core replaced wallet.dat with my old back backup, fully synced when trying to send I enter password and bitcoin core shuts down. When entering wrong password it says wrong password, when I enter correct it auto shuts down. Need to know how I can get my private keys back out of this wallet.dat

Could you try running the program on another computer to see if you can get the keys and the right password. Don't wait for it to sync just try signing a message on the first address it produces.

I'm not sure what the issue with pywallet is it looks like an install issue though I haven't used it myself. If someone posts a response that fixes your issue, I can delete this post as it's partly a bump to see if someone knows how to fix your error and since you came back 20+ days after first getting an error, you may still be here (op).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: