Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:48:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 21 BTC Locked up  (Read 1000 times)
batt01 (OP)

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 02:33:25 AM

In 2012 i sent my brother 15btc for his birthday I totally forgot aboutt. I was talking abou the recent price rise and he, I got some of those. B he forgot the password, and has no clue as to what it is.
 When I was mining I sold 100bucks to a friend and it just kinda came to me that he had some btc. Guess what he cant remember his password either. I set up his blockchain wallet, watched him write down his pass word, fold it up and put in his wallet.. I put his seed words in a text doc, printed and gave it to his. He is now clueless and cant find the docs or folded note. Total about 6.5btc. I also put all that info in a text file left on his. I rember he got pissy when we had that big drop when MTGox went tits up.

Laptop stopped working and it was tossed. I sold him the btc in Dec 2013. So 21.5btc lockup forever and Bitcoin is higher than giraffe  pussy. If I had any hair, I would bull it all all out one hair at a time

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 02:49:51 AM

Good lord. It's almost like I physically felt pain when I was reading your post. Heck, I would be pulling all of my hair out if I lost even half a bitcoin.

Unfortunately it looks like it's almost impossible for you to get those BTC back, as the papers and device you stored the passwords and seed are now gone. Expensive mistake I guess. Just don't do the same mistake in the future. Best of luck.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
HKGolden

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 03:16:27 AM

That's sad as 21 BTC is a huge amount (at least to me) now.

Is it possible to ask someone in service section to 'unlock' those BTC?
I think you offer 20-30% of that 21BTC, most people will help you out, at least give it a try.  Wink
dirorodje

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 04:07:20 AM

That's sad as 21 BTC is a huge amount (at least to me) now.

Is it possible to ask someone in service section to 'unlock' those BTC?
I think you offer 20-30% of that 21BTC, most people will help you out, at least give it a try.  Wink

Yea i agree with you but not everyone may know how to contact people in service section or probably has someone to contact
I think it would be great if you can point to a specific direction for the sake of newbies (like me)
boxabl

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2017, 03:30:39 PM

I've seen lots of stories like this over the years. The amount of BTC lost forever is likely much higher than most people think.
atmosphere99

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 12:16:36 AM

Oh god, I feel for you. I found an old eBay receipt where the guy sold me 10 BTC and I lost the wallet key after. They were $3 each, so I was like 'meh' at the time, lol.
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 12:32:19 AM

LOL, I still win.

Had received 900+ bitcoins in total in 2011-12. Didn't know about the technology, only used it as a payment processor for my GPT website (advertisement sales) and earned through referral commission of some wallet website (coinbase as far as I remember, they used to offer somewhat like 0.2 BTC for each referral).

When the price of bitcoin increased exponentially in 2011-12 (from like $1 to $20), I sold whatever I had in bitcoin, and felt extremely lucky after getting such a big profit.

........and now....... Cry
racasanuk

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 05:36:57 AM

Ouch, that sucks
I always worry about password encrypting my wallets and I have in fact managed to lock one that I now can’t get in – fortunately not 21 bitcoins worth but is still a pain in the bum.

★★★ INTENSE COIN ★★★
BLOCKCHAIN BACKED DECENTRALISED P2P VPN
MediumTwitterSlackDiscordRedditFacebookWhitepaperBitcointalk Ann
             ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
coinspam

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 09:11:40 AM

In 2012 i sent my brother 15btc for his birthday I totally forgot aboutt. I was talking abou the recent price rise and he, I got some of those. B he forgot the password, and has no clue as to what it is.
 When I was mining I sold 100bucks to a friend and it just kinda came to me that he had some btc. Guess what he cant remember his password either. I set up his blockchain wallet, watched him write down his pass word, fold it up and put in his wallet.. I put his seed words in a text doc, printed and gave it to his. He is now clueless and cant find the docs or folded note. Total about 6.5btc. I also put all that info in a text file left on his. I rember he got pissy when we had that big drop when MTGox went tits up.

Laptop stopped working and it was tossed. I sold him the btc in Dec 2013. So 21.5btc lockup forever and Bitcoin is higher than giraffe  pussy. If I had any hair, I would bull it all all out one hair at a time
That's the problem when you give away stuff to idiots. Moral of the story, don't give people anything for free. They won't appreciate it, take it seriously or really care for it.
Maarten91

Activity: 72
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 09:34:40 AM

Do you think you have any possibility that you obtain the wallet, but not the password? In that case, are there any details he or you knows about the password (length range, likely characters/words)?

SushGo

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 02:45:57 PM

OMG, really. I am feeling sad for you. Its too much amount as per today's exchange rate.
WildWestRider

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 02:50:40 PM

LOL, I still win.

Had received 900+ bitcoins in total in 2011-12. Didn't know about the technology, only used it as a payment processor for my GPT website (advertisement sales) and earned through referral commission of some wallet website (coinbase as far as I remember, they used to offer somewhat like 0.2 BTC for each referral).

When the price of bitcoin increased exponentially in 2011-12 (from like $1 to $20), I sold whatever I had in bitcoin, and felt extremely lucky after getting such a big profit.

........and now....... Cry

Having palpitations for you right now Sad
aer0

Activity: 51

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 06:03:54 AM

Don't you know this is one of the secrets of BTC.  Little know section in the White Paper called User Error Reduction.   Over time the value will increase as people loose their money - decreasing supply and increasing price!!    Grin
w0mp

Activity: 206

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 11:10:07 AM

Sucks man!

Its very simple though:

No password + no wallet file = fail
No wallet seed = fail

If you don't have any of those, you are f'd.  Sorry to be the breaker of bad news.

For 21 BTC I would tear my fcking house apart to find that wallet seed.
JustPure15

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 01:21:04 PM

Laptop stopped working and it was tossed. I sold him the btc in Dec 2013. So 21.5btc lockup forever and Bitcoin is higher than giraffe  pussy. If I had any hair, I would bull it all all out one hair at a time

that is one of the saddest story that i have heard because 21btc isnt a small amount today.
Hoping that someone can help you out there.
w0mp

Activity: 206

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 02:22:28 PM

that is one of the saddest story that i have heard because 21btc isnt a small amount today.
Hoping that someone can help you out there.

the only hope is recovering either the wallet .dat file and passphrase or the wallet seed.  Nuff said.  If you don't got either, your BTC are gone, plain and simple.
Clairvoyance

Activity: 412
Merit: 152

Perceiving events in the future and beyond

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 10:46:13 PM

That's quite sad bro. I hope you can recover those btc.
CryptoKeeper98

Activity: 17

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2017, 12:01:42 AM

It's always painful knowing what it could've been. But let it go, think about what the future could hold instead.
Nascor

Activity: 197

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 03:31:54 PM

damn.. always sucks hearing those stories. These are the ones that motivated to be extra careful about my wallets. So in some sense, I thank you sir, for doing the mistakes which others have learned from
Yaneman

Activity: 27

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 03:34:28 PM

That hurts a lot to read. Would be almost 100k usd with current prices. Wasn't there any way to recover the hard drive from the pc?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: