Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:40:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin price and financial crisis/downturn  (Read 906 times)
sana54210
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 1128

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 07:51:10 AM

Hi,

Up to now, Bitcoin hasn't gone through financial crisis. Maybe one financial crisis is near (look at financial market overvaluation)

in case of financial crisis, bitcoin price could
-collapse as big money people will withdraw from any investment,
-surge as BTC could be seen as an escape to current financial system
-remain stable

Do you think that in case of a major financial crisis like in 2008, bitcoin price will collapse, surge or remain stable?

thanks

Interesting scenario.

Actually since bitcoin is decentralized i think that would be what saves bitcoin from being negatively affected by the financial crisis. Usually in the financial crisis, especially if it is inflation based people are looking for a safe currency that would store their wealth in the long run and not having to worry about it in the long run.

Bitcoin is perfect for this purpose. Commodities and stocks will be worst hit, but bitcoin probably will actually going up because of the increase demand in something that people can safely put their wealth in and forget about it and know that nobody can print more of it infinitely.
I am agreeing with you in a situation like bitcoin previous and present value and position in the world market. I think bitcoin price will never construct with the financial crises, because it totally depends upon the demand of the people.

If the people want more and more bitcoin to buy and save it for their future then financial crises around the world will never affect bitcoin price and value. One thing that if people have no money due to financial crises then its demand may be affect.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fred21 (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 29

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 08:25:36 AM

I think it's because of China's government regulation that prohibits all ICO activities. the impact is very big, but I think it's only temporary and everything will be back to normal in a few days or weeks.

I was just talking about a potential financial crisis on financial markets, not about the dip we are experiencing right now with BTC
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 09:32:17 AM

Hi, Up to now, Bitcoin hasn't gone through financial crisis. Maybe one financial crisis is near (look at financial market overvaluation) in case of financial crisis, bitcoin price could:

-remain stable

Do you think that in case of a major financial crisis like in 2008, bitcoin price will collapse, surge or remain stable? Thanks.

Last 2008, there was almost a catastrophic collapse of the global financial order due to the banking crisis in America (USA) and it could have spread to other countries had there been no remedies made via the costly bailouts of huge firms using taxpayers' money. The problem was highlighted and it was due to mismanagement and overexposure to risky investments.

Now, had Bitcoin been already existing at that time we could know for sure how the cryptocurrency could behave. Right now, an economic meltdown can be possible and if the main reason can be the same as in 2008, am sure that Bitcoin can stand as the best currency alternative to the fiat money backed by the government as there would be a clear contrast between the two.

A great financial crisis can make Bitcoin more mainstream because there would be a deluge of new investors into it knowing that Bitcoin is now considered to be the digital counterpart of the physical gold. And if the government would be using the same technique of quantitative easing (printing of more paper money) then we can see the big difference between the two and this is an area where Bitcoin can be winning and the fiat money waning.
chickenado

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 11:49:48 AM

Hi,

Up to now, Bitcoin hasn't gone through financial crisis. Maybe one financial crisis is near (look at financial market overvaluation)

-remain stable

Do you think that in case of a major financial crisis like in 2008, bitcoin price will collapse, surge or remain stable?

thanks

Interesting scenario.

Actually since bitcoin is decentralized i think that would be what saves bitcoin from being negatively affected by the financial crisis. Usually in the financial crisis, especially if it is inflation based people are looking for a safe currency that would store their wealth in the long run and not having to worry about it in the long run.

Bitcoin is perfect for this purpose. Commodities and stocks will be worst hit, but bitcoin probably will actually going up because of the increase demand in something that people can safely put their wealth in and forget about it and know that nobody can print more of it infinitely.
I am agreeing with you in a situation like bitcoin previous and present value and position in the world market. I think bitcoin price will never construct with the financial crises, because it totally depends upon the demand of the people.

If the people want more and more bitcoin to buy and save it for their future then financial crises around the world will never affect bitcoin price and value. One thing that if people have no money due to financial crises then its demand may be affect.
I definitely agree on that because the situation right now is somewhat in a cycle only. The important thing there is that the sense of being imaginative and creative in selling,trading and buying bitcoin. We all know that many of us are depending on it while working our different tasks on a daily basis. Yes it's true when there is financial crisis that is going on with our main problem in the society. People as we are having hard time to negotiate face to face especially when we deal with many newbies to invest. On the other hand,I can see a progress with the crisis that each on of us are facing because it can truly help us. The coin that we earn is really precious and it can even save someone's life. I know some of us here are telling that it would turn down but for now let's take it easy.
wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 11:56:53 AM

-remain stable
Bitcoin is an alternate investment type for rest of people who are usually treating investing into dollars/stock as their prime investment vehicles.

So, on the event of financial crisis, people will rush into gold kind of "other" investment opportunities where now a days they are having another opportunity with bitcoin investments. When people do not have faith on their local economy then they will go for international opportunities hence we can expect bitcoin to upsurge on the event of global financial crisis.
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 02:29:35 PM

Hi,

-remain stable

thanks

There was the eurozone crisis of 2012/13 where Greece was in trouble and they bailed in the customers of the Cyprus banks. That was the event that brought bitcoin to mainstream attention and the price soared from something like $30 at the start of the crisis to $1000 in 2014 (before falling back to $200 thanks to the Mt Gox debacle).

So yes, a global crisis will make bitcoin soar, especially in EU countries where bail-in rules apply and you could lose all your savings to bailout european banks.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 02:34:50 PM

Bitcoin's father may be Satoshi, but the mother of bitcoin was the 2008 global financial crisis. Bitcoin was born to survive such a meltdown. Having said that, I am surprised that bitcoin tends to run with the market rather than counter-market. IMO, a fiat collapse would see bitcoin value rising and diverging from assets like stocks. I would expect it to start tracking with gold in that scenario.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 07:49:24 PM

Bitcoin's father may be Satoshi, but the mother of bitcoin was the 2008 global financial crisis. Bitcoin was born to survive such a meltdown. Having said that, I am surprised that bitcoin tends to run with the market rather than counter-market. IMO, a fiat collapse would see bitcoin value rising and diverging from assets like stocks. I would expect it to start tracking with gold in that scenario.
It will be soon recognize just the like how they value gold that's how they will value bitcoin in the near future. As the price of bitcoin will going to rise extremely i have a a lot of thoughts of what will be bitcoin in the future as the value of will grow. The financial crisis will help bitcoin to keep it go stronger as the time passes by.

allohha

Activity: 672
Merit: 176

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 08:37:55 PM

It will be soon recognize just the like how they value gold that's how they will value bitcoin in the near future. As the price of bitcoin will going to rise extremely i have a a lot of thoughts of what will be bitcoin in the future as the value of will grow. The financial crisis will help bitcoin to keep it go stronger as the time passes by.
for today We are very active in watching the growth of bitcoin and for the fact that he will not see even some price fluctuations. It seems to me that thanks to such price categories, the crypto currency prevails over other currencies and thus attracts more and more users.
omonuyak

Activity: 882
Merit: 269

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 08:52:49 PM

I have nurse this thought for quite some time now because it seen bitcoin is overvalued and  many holders may sell off they position or convert to another coins.  But of recent I got an understanding that people don't want to sell off they position because they seriously believe in bitcoin more than others coins. Bitcoin need to do alot of upward movement because of this fact and using myself as an example I don't think I can sell my position too.
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 10:47:51 PM

Hi,

-remain stable

thanks

It's hard to know what investors will do in a financial crisis. There will be some people that move money out of stocks and mutual funds and into things like gold and maybe Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.

This could hold the value of Bitcoin up, but there is no guarantee that people won't pull money out of Bitcoin as well. They may look for low risk investments like fixed rate bank accounts and gold and silver.

Smarty14392

Activity: 560
Merit: 286

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 07:18:12 AM

Bitcoin does there is no crisis. We constantly are seeing prices fall to 30% of the cost. If before bitcoin was worth $ 1000 then it was hundreds of dollars. Now bitcoin is worth almost $ 5,000. It is normal that now falls occur per 1000 dollars.
I don’t think that will in anyway bring a fall to the price of bitcoin. The only thing that I know brings a fall in price of bitcoin is split, and we are expecting another split to take place on November. I don’t  even pray for a financial crisis, so it’s never gonna happen.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: