Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:42:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scammers claiming Hacked Accounts : Chargeback Scenario (Bitcointalk and Paypal)  (Read 301 times)
pinkman12345 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1070
Merit: 1021

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 01:46:57 PM

These days a particular trend is Going on.

Head to digital and Goods section, Make an offer to sell Legendary accounts at cheaper price, Probability is that you will end up it selling, after the buyer changes everything wait for some days and then come to Meta section and opens a thread for Account stolen and get the account recovered, isn't it a chargeback??

So whats the difference between Bitcointalk and Paypal , Both does the same.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 02:17:15 PM

Head to digital and Goods section, Make an offer to sell Legendary accounts at cheaper price, Probability is that you will end up it selling, after the buyer changes everything wait for some days and then come to Meta section and opens a thread for Account stolen and get the account recovered, isn't it a chargeback??

People buying accounts took the risk in handling accounts and thus should take care when regarding these types of transactions (especially when accounts can and will be recovered externally). I do not condone account trades and so this is almost like twisted justice in a sense (though scams are very bad).

How does one stop this? Stop account trading. Easy.

minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 10:16:41 PM
Last edit: September 05, 2017, 01:55:30 AM by minifrij

theymos and the forum discourage account trading, and therefore may do little to try and police it properly.
In most cases, the original owner of the account is the legitimate owner forever as far as forum administration is concerned. (Though if we happen to come across some pretty clear evidence that an account is sold by its owner, we're not going to intentionally help the original owner scam the account back. But neither are we going to put much effort into preventing this.)

As actmyname said, the best way to avoid this is not to trade accounts. It's a scummy, untrustworthy field anyway.
sonic22

Activity: 144
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 03:40:05 AM

Can someone enlighten me as for why those forum tags are considered so important that people are ready to pay for it? After all it only shows that person have been around for a while, it doesn't make him guru or something.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2017, 03:42:41 AM

Can someone enlighten me as for why those forum tags are considered so important that people are ready to pay for it? After all it only shows that person have been around for a while, it doesn't make him guru or something.
If by tags you mean rank [it's contextually implied] then the main reason that users use it is in fact for reputation. Signature campaigns pay more to higher-rank members not only because of reputation but also because their signature can be customized far more than, say a Jr. Member's signature (which is only limited to 150 characters including bbcode). These accounts could potentially be used to scam given that newbies are more likely to trust a Legendary or Hero Member with currency exchanges or goods than a lesser rank. It's just how it is.

sonic22

Activity: 144
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 03:48:53 AM

If by tags you mean rank [it's contextually implied] then the main reason that users use it is in fact for reputation. Signature campaigns pay more to higher-rank members not only because of reputation but also because their signature can be customized far more than, say a Jr. Member's signature (which is only limited to 150 characters including bbcode). These accounts could potentially be used to scam given that newbies are more likely to trust a Legendary or Hero Member with currency exchanges or goods than a lesser rank. It's just how it is.

Thanks for explanation. While I'm new here I communicate of message boards and forums since Fidonet times (ancient lol) and this rank thing actually made me smile. Only forums that I find useful in terms of user reputation are those where users themselves rank people. Apart from time spent automatic rank systems don't actually tell anything about any person.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 3015

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2017, 03:50:24 AM

I would suggest if you want to buy a legendary account that you have the account owner sign a message saying he/she is selling it.

Then, when he/she opens the scam accusation, present the signed message.

Of course, this won't prevent you from being tagged by those DT members who view account sales as untrustworthy.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: