Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:37:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Symbol and Unicode  (Read 1155 times)
rlh (OP)

Activity: 804
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:41:44 PM

It may not be the Euro, but the Bitcoin has certainly picked up quite a bit of public awareness and and enthusiasm as of late.  I think it is time that the community attempt to have the bitcoin symbol added to the unicode standard so that, hopefully, within the next decade (or two) we can have a functional currency font that is available with most standards compliant, OS fonts.

I did find this post regarding this topic but no one has posted to it in over a year and a symbol was never settled upon. Personally, I feel that the letter B with two vertical lines running through it has become rather ubiquituous and should serve as the Bitcoin Currency character.  The sheer number of favicons out there that look like this seems to support such a thought.

Linked below is the site that outlines the new character Unicode submission process which further links to the necessary forms to request the entry of a new code.

I would be willing to do submit the request myself, however, after perusing the submission documents it looks like there is quite a bit of jargon that I am unfamiliar with.  I've never worked with a standards board before and I'd rather not submit an entry that is a poor representation of the Bitcoin system and community.

I would assume that there are a few of you out there who are familiar with this type of work (copyrighters, lawyers, board members of various standards, etc.)  Would anyone be willing to volunteer heading this submission process?  I request the submission of your work to this board for comments and review before the initial submission.

http://www.unicode.org/pending/proposals.html

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: