Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:04:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty is going own? BTC and LTC?  (Read 2558 times)
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 03:06:21 AM

We'll see this do some funny stuff I think.

Mining is leaving the world as a hobby and stepping into a serious business with a serious investment and competition. We'll see who is serious enough to stay in, those that won't will retire/sell their rigs. In the face of ASIC all bitcoiners are separating this way now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:02:49 AM

how is it possible that can HR diff go down? thought it only went up

Because people are leaving the network, and when hashing power drops, less coins are found that hour, so the system changes difficulty to ensure x-coins are still found per day. EG, if we all left, the difficulty would drop fast. If we all came back, it would instantly rise as soon as we started generating massive amounts of coins.

https://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate
(That shrinking line to the left is us GPU miners... The rising line on the right, is the ASIC's being added to the network.)

BTW, that is a potential attack... If the difficulty drops real low, then everyone instantly comes back, everyone with these high powered machines will find coins faster than the system can calculate and adjust UP the sensitivity. Thus, making more coins available that day than should have been created. I would be willing to bet the ASIC guys will attempt this in the future.

Not to mention, when you have all that processing power in one location, and it goes down, that makes it a miners heaven for us little guys. Because of that drop in difficulty.

The ASIC's are touchy... look at the charts that show hashing power of the entire network, they keep crashing. The pools show similar results, as they crash, and the pie-slice for them drops down to a fraction of what it is, when they are alive and actually processing. I am not sure if it is hardware failures or network failures from DDOS attacks, but it is something real. (Hardware and network errors for ASICs have been reported. They occasionally have to "shut down" and reboot, to continue mining.)
CoolIT

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:22:48 PM

I have been reading a lot about litecoin being less profitable then bitcoin, litecoin difficulty going down...

I googled a bit and found no information.

Does any one know why litecoin is "Going down" or if it is even true ?

I am still mining away, I make 50ltc's within about 2ish weeks, but I am wondering if I should exchange now or wait. I am also wondering if I should change the mining of my rigs to go back on bitcoins.

(all in all I don't think I would earn or see that big of a difference, my hash rates are 1550Mhash or 1650Khash)

I am just curious as of what people think, I hope I can be enlightened.
Jazkal

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:38:21 PM

I have been reading a lot about litecoin being less profitable then bitcoin, litecoin difficulty going down...

I googled a bit and found no information.

Does any one know why litecoin is "Going down" or if it is even true ?

I am still mining away, I make 50ltc's within about 2ish weeks, but I am wondering if I should exchange now or wait. I am also wondering if I should change the mining of my rigs to go back on bitcoins.

(all in all I don't think I would earn or see that big of a difference, my hash rates are 1550Mhash or 1650Khash)

I am just curious as of what people think, I hope I can be enlightened.
The hash rate is going down as more and more alt-coins come out:

http://www.coinchoose.com/
http://dustcoin.com/mining

If you can make more per day mining MiscCoin, then why mine LiteCoin or BitCoin? As a miner, my primary job is to make sure my hardware is bringing in the most money it can.

CoolIT

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:14:17 PM

Makes good sense.

Sounds like alt coins can carry more risk yet a possibility of more reward compared to a bit more stability and less reward.

Still a tricky decision because by the time you sell an altcoin such as  DigitalCoin at 160% profitability, it could have gone down to 40%
Like the TRC

While litecoin can go back up due to it's age, popularity and support...

Jazkal

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:27:49 PM

Makes good sense.

Sounds like alt coins can carry more risk yet a possibility of more reward compared to a bit more stability and less reward.

Still a tricky decision because by the time you sell an altcoin such as  DigitalCoin at 160% profitability, it could have gone down to 40%
Like the TRC

While litecoin can go back up due to it's age, popularity and support...
Exactly. I personally ignore any AltCoin that is ONLY listed on the Cryptsy Exchange. I keep my eye on them, but not willing to risk my daily mining efforts until they make it to another exchange with a deeper trading volume.
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 10:10:28 PM

Ah yes, the altcoin factor.

Even if most of them are ultimately overhyped junk, they are serving an important purpose in stabilizing the big coins on price and network power. The focus isn't 100% on BTC or LTC now, so the speculation has moved away from them. I think we have the alts to thank for Bitcoin's relative price stability lately.

ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 04:04:27 AM

Here is what I use to decide my days...

http://dustcoin.com/mining

Lists all major/minor coins. Just add your two hashrates below, and the wattage you consume, and your KWh rate, and you can clearly compare your expended efforts for the day/month/year...

Best to spend a day doing each one. They can't all crash, and ONE will surely go through a 10x-50x-100x jump in due time. Best way to get more from mining is simply to convince others to use the coins for transactions. Forums, web-shops, friends, game-clans...

If no-one buys and sells, other than us... then we are just trading baseball cards. Eventually everyone will have the cards they want, and stop trading. You have to PROMOTE the coin you like best. Simply ask an admin/website/shop... "Do you take ____coins?" Say nothing more. That will peak thier curiosity, and let them make their own decision. Do it a bunch of times, to different places. It is like a spreading virus. Curiosity will make them come to you.

NOTE: BBQ and Terra coins values are NOT steady at the moment. They are not actually 300% more valuable than mining bitcoins at any time. That is a fluxuation in the formula, as it drops to a low, and then everyone goes there to mine, and makes it look like it is 300% or 150% more than it actually is. Both those are AVERAGE about 25-75% of a bitcoin value.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 08:39:07 PM

dustcoin is not up to date ....
Chaplin

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 03:22:12 AM

I think we have the alts to thank for Bitcoin's relative price stability lately.
I certainly hope so. Bad for those coins but good for Bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: