Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:40:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in 3d printed Prusa parts ?  (Read 1185 times)
riceberry (OP)

Activity: 491
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:16:35 PM

Since it takes me a while to make a set, I'm wondering if anyone is looking for these?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitCoinUser123

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:22:27 PM

I'm not actually sure what that is.  Are we talking about 3d printed parts for a 3d printer, or am I confused?

If I've been able to help out, donations are always welcome.

BTC: 1QGwEHYTdwwRU1BitLCTB5y2rdf3Sexjw7
riceberry (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:30:38 PM

Ya sorry I was a bit vague.
I was referring to parts such as required

http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_Mendel_(iteration_2)

But looking for anyone who's maybe building a printer, or wants anything specific made.

I'm a student but I would consider myself pretty experienced with making different parts (build my own printers and make many prototypes for different technology design projects (mine and other people).
BitCoinUser123

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:38:19 PM

What kind of pricing are we talking about?  I'd love to own a 3D printer, but I know absolutely nothing about them.  I don't even know where I'd go about finding good information, and I don't know what sets one 3D printer apart from another.  I mean, I assume that not just ANY 3D printer could assemble the stuff that any other could, but I have no idea.

Any info for me, or particularly links?  I already checked out that Wikipedia article, but more info would be great.

riceberry (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 11:39:55 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2013, 06:15:12 PM by riceberry

I would want to sell parts individually for certain pieces (Extruder say), also can make glass beds with nice 100% wool insulation.
Prices can vary, a full set of plastic parts for a machine goes around 30-100+ usd, depends on the quality/material/resolution..

I could make a set of PLA parts for 0.3 btc, maybe ABS later but im busy now so I haven't had time to do some maintenance
Full machines the most basic setup can be about 300 up to expensive laser / powder ones..

I learned everything from wikis and forums, and fixing my own problems,
There is also completed printers which you can buy from various shops
http://www.alephobjects.com/ is in the US

emakershop
makerbot is most successful personal printer company

Any parts are interchangable with other printers as long as you can mount it properly (Usually requires some kind of custom part which when you have a printer you can make yourself). Basically once you have a basic one, you can print physical upgrades for your own machine.

For example, one of the most important parts is the hotend, which if you have a proper mounting plate you can use the same hotend on almost any printer with some modification maybe.

If your not really into making your own one, makerbot, ultimaker, leapfrog, sumpod, these are some companies which come to mind.

I have a friend who's wanting to get rid of a sumpod lasercut wooden one (I'm not sure if they still sell it). I might get it from him and finish building it (He lost interest and never finished it), then maybe looking to resell it over the summer or something.

3d printing is very cool, hope you get into it

Here are a few more links with tons of links:
http://www.3ders.org/3d-printing-basics.html
http://fabbaloo.com/3d-resources
BitCoinUser123

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 07:55:13 AM

Kind of let this thread drift away.  I've only recently begun to learn about 3D printing and see what its capabilities are.  I thought it was kind of gimmicky and limited to doing coasters and stuff.

Thingiverse has basically blown my mind, though.  I'm very interested in learning more about this stuff.  I'll PM you for more info.

danieldaniel

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 12:14:48 PM

Kind of let this thread drift away.  I've only recently begun to learn about 3D printing and see what its capabilities are.  I thought it was kind of gimmicky and limited to doing coasters and stuff.

Thingiverse has basically blown my mind, though.  I'm very interested in learning more about this stuff.  I'll PM you for more info.
Not at all!  I work with the 3D printers at my local library (so I have free access to them Cheesy).  The stuff on thingiverse is amazing.  I've printed working safes (although they aren't really safe obviously, as someone could just blow open the box) and automatic transmission models.

sal002

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 01:49:49 PM

I would be interested as I want to get into 3D printing.
BitCoinUser123

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 06:52:43 PM

My time is a little limited at the moment.  So for my first one, I'd definitely prefer to buy rather than build.  If/when you have a finished unit, let me know.  I'd be interested in buying one depending on the price.  The idea of printing upgrades for my own 3D printer boggles my mind.  It's like having a robot that upgrades itself.

riceberry (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 07:05:51 PM

Cool, ya buying is best option if you just want something that works without the learning curve, but I guess if you really get interested, the learning curve may feel worth the knowledge in the end.

(Kind of like learning to buid your first computer I guess, once you manage to get your first parts coming out, you see the power in being able to build new or most interesting things later on.)  Robots...other machines, I was maybe looking to make a set of 3d printed bagpipes eventually.

I have an exhibition coming up so I'm busy for a while, but I'm looking into experimenting with some vapor finishing parts afterwards  

http://blog.reprap.org/2013/02/vapor-treating-abs-rp-parts.html

If you have any questions let me know

A finished unit as in full printer? full set of printed parts ? or full set of parts + electronics+ mechanics etc with instructions ?
BitCoinUser123

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 07:12:46 PM

I agree - my experience of that was being given a horrible old computer, upgrading it, and then subsequently building an all new one.  I'm a fan of that approach, and so I'll likely emulate here.  Get a 3D printer, use it, print additional parts, acquire additional parts, build a better one, sell the original.

Price would determine which of those 3 options - I'd prefer a fully functional assembled printer, but based on price would probably compromise and go for a complete parts kit with instructions.

danieldaniel

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:28:44 PM

I agree - my experience of that was being given a horrible old computer, upgrading it, and then subsequently building an all new one.  I'm a fan of that approach, and so I'll likely emulate here.  Get a 3D printer, use it, print additional parts, acquire additional parts, build a better one, sell the original.

Price would determine which of those 3 options - I'd prefer a fully functional assembled printer, but based on price would probably compromise and go for a complete parts kit with instructions.
You can't print all of the part for a printer, though.  Only the plastic parts.

BitCoinUser123

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:30:09 PM

Yup, I get that.  That's why I specified "print additional parts, acquire additional parts" since you'll have to buy / machine / trade some rather than printing them.  I hear you though.

riceberry (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:17:16 PM

Things like motors + electronics, I bascially have to buy it ( I can source all electronics needed + motors for about 300 euros (with metal pulleys, belt, optical endstops) and the rest of the the things I can cut, print, and build: plastic parts, glass + wood bed
(Maybe easier/cheaper to buy motors+electronics more locally and shipped directly rather than through me at the moment " no bulk rate supplies yet). Building yourself is definitly the cheapest way to get a 3d printer though, but requires dedication (calibrating is usually hardest part)
Shipping would be alot though fully assembled, as they are decently sized and weighted.

You can actually make PCB's using a reprap, this is an example:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Generation_7_Electronics

Since there is some interest, I will put together a site in the summer with some documentation and will be able to post printed parts or what I make with some sweet discounted btc rates. I'll probably get around to making something over the next couple months.

I would make some prusa sets first, since it's simpler and easiest to source printer (8mm threaded rods at local hardware store)

Open source ones are very much like linux versions versus windows or osx, makerbot for instance is based on all the opensource tech, but not as easily hackable since it's more of a ''finished'' product, not built for evolution like a true reprap (but of course you can make a reprap with any printer).

I plan to slowly evolve my workshop to be something more full time with more capabilities and products,
and hopefully develop a kind of distributed manufacturing network, maybe one day we can have essentially open source next gen factories making all kinds of conventially methods obsolete...
BitCoinUser123

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 02:04:00 AM

That would be extremely cool. 

What I am truly looking forward is getting to a point where there are 3D printers which can print with metals, even soft ones.  Or with variable feedstocks rather than a single industrially-produced plastic wire.

I'm definitely interested in one of these printers.  If the instructions are complete enough, I'd consider cobbling one together to start off with.  I'll keep an eye out here.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: