Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:50:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining with dumpster GPU's?  (Read 820 times)
Sileni (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 06:50:43 PM

Curious, because I've been digging through my hardware box and I have a mountain of "complete computers" in parts, starting from systems made in the early 2000's.

Does anyone have any experience trying to mine altcoins with true garbage GPU's? The equivalent of something that would be $30-40 now?

I ask because I have access to a warehouse that I don't pay electricity in, so literally anything I mine is pure profit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cheeseburgerparade

Activity: 32

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 06:52:22 PM

You'll probably have the best luck with anything on the cryptonight algo, esp. Monero.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 06:56:38 PM

More trouble than worth even with nearly free electricity because;

- they use a lot of electricity while being reaaaalllly slow (compared to even the lowest end current gen GPUs);
 - most miner softwares are not compatible with old cards (at least on nvidia side, don't know about AMD) as they don't support newer compute versions;
 - you have to spend a lot on other computer parts per 6 cards (CPU/mobo/ram/psu/disk drive);
 - they are prone to die "early";
 - even cheap current or even last gen GPUs vastly outperform them for fraction of the electricity and other PC components' price.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2017, 06:57:44 PM

Curious, because I've been digging through my hardware box and I have a mountain of "complete computers" in parts, starting from systems made in the early 2000's.

Does anyone have any experience trying to mine altcoins with true garbage GPU's? The equivalent of something that would be $30-40 now?

I ask because I have access to a warehouse that I don't pay electricity in, so literally anything I mine is pure profit.

I highly doubt anything from the early 2000s is going to work well (if at all, since you do need CUDA or OpenCL support for most GPU miners) for mining. If you have a bunch, I'd sell them, if they really are worth $30-$40. Then you could take that money and trade it for various cryptos, or buy some other cheap cards.

Since you're not paying for power, if you're really intent on mining, you could go for older (but not early-2000s old), power-hungry cards. 7950s, 7970s, 7990s, R9 280/290/295/etc., things of the sort.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Sileni (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 07:12:59 PM

I highly doubt anything from the early 2000s is going to work well (if at all, since you do need CUDA or OpenCL support for most GPU miners) for mining. If you have a bunch, I'd sell them, if they really are worth $30-$40. Then you could take that money and trade it for various cryptos, or buy some other cheap cards.

Since you're not paying for power, if you're really intent on mining, you could go for older (but not early-2000s old), power-hungry cards. 7950s, 7970s, 7990s, R9 280/290/295/etc., things of the sort.

I've actually got a few 7870's sitting in there. I'll try to spin those up first.

Any particular cards you'd look at if you weren't worried about cost? I realize the reason the RX 400~ series is sold out is primarily its power efficiency, and again, I couldn't care less. We're running a massive industrial machine, so even if I put in 10 1kw systems, it wouldn't even amount to a fraction of the power used in the building.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2017, 07:41:51 PM

I've actually got a few 7870's sitting in there. I'll try to spin those up first.

Any particular cards you'd look at if you weren't worried about cost? I realize the reason the RX 400~ series is sold out is primarily its power efficiency, and again, I couldn't care less. We're running a massive industrial machine, so even if I put in 10 1kw systems, it wouldn't even amount to a fraction of the power used in the building.

7870s are definitely still usable. I would definitely not call them garbage, at this point. Any other cards in your box, that are also say, Evergreen (5000 series) cards or newer?

If power is no problem, you can lower initial costs by picking out powerful old GPUs, perhaps the R9 295x2 or 390/390x or something of the sort. Keep in mind that although you will not have to pay for extra utility use, you will still have to get appropriate PSUs that may be more expensive for the hashrate you end up receiving with those GPUs.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 11:12:45 PM

HD 7870s are good for about 150-160 sol/sec on ZEC - about the same as the GTX 950 depending on the relative overclocks - but soak a fair bit of power to achieve that.

Pretty much anything from the HD 77xx series and later (aka ANY GCN-based AMD card) is useable and viable, though the lower end stuff like the 7750 isn't going to earn a LOT.

I'd ignore the older Terrascale stuff, as a lot of miner software flat out doesn't work with it and it's very low performance when it DOES work.
 Perhaps work with it AFTER you get any GCN-based hardware you have running just to see if it CAN do anything viable.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Sileni (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 01:11:55 PM

I've got an old 760TI in there, that's about it. Most were ripped out of friend's boxes as I was upgrading parts, so they're old/stock/beat up. 5 cards for free is still something, right?
Bare

Activity: 130
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 09:06:20 PM

mining with any cards before the Ati HD 5xxx series I'd say, it's not worth it at all even if you had free electricity (meaning maybe a dollar per month? not even counting miner support)
and I wouldn't recommend mining with anything older than hd 5xxx series, even hd 5xxx and 6xxx series are best used only in cryptonight and neoscrypt algos nowadays... anything older is...just not worth it.

one 5xxx/6xxx card could easily get you few dollars to maybe 10$ per month and that's if you're mining monero
Jackblow33

Activity: 48

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 10:41:51 PM

Why polluting forums with same question?? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2156473.0
Is it worth it? All this basic questions could be avoid doing a simple search. Laziness at it`s best!!!!
Could get better results mining your own backyard... Do we really need dumb miners? Yes...  Want my old retired gpu`s? :-)
Burks21

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 05:39:04 AM

Heck I've been trying to find 7xxx series to mine with on the side when I'm not using my computer. It's a HUGE step up from my 9800GT (which cannot mine or even be recognized by anything Wink )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: