Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:07:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when the US makes crypto-currency illegal?  (Read 8777 times)
lettucebee

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 05:45:27 PM

I maintain that bitcoin will be banned and the price of it will tank when all the statist pussies wet their panties and bail.  It will continue to be useful for the third worlders and the outlaws, so it won't go away.

Something may happen before this, though, and that is the blockchain forks, one going toward the regulation trap that the VC money is pushing and the other going toward greater anonymity that the outlaws want.  If the corporate bitcoin skyrockets in value I am sad because the people have sold out for cash.  But if the outlaw bitcoin rises in value I am happy because it says the people have had enough of financial "hegemony".

But the cat is out of the bag on this one.  Crypto-currencies are here to stay.  The war is on and humanity has finally responded.

▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
█████▀              ▀█████
▄████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▀████▄
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
█▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████████▀  ▄█
██▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████▀  ▄██
███▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█▀  ▄███
▀███▄  ▀█████▄     ▄███▀
▀████▄  ▀████▀  ▄████▀
█████▄  ▀▀  ▄█████
▀█████▄  ▄█████▀
▀█████  █████▀
▀████████▀
██████
▀██▀
E R N
               ▄▄█████████▄▄
           ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
        ▄███████▀▀       ▀▀███████▄
       █████▀▀               ▀▀█████
     ▄████▀    ▄▄█████████▄▄    ▀████▄
    ████▀   ▄█████████████████▄   ▀████
   ████    █████████████████████    ████
 █████    ███████  ▀█████████████    █████
█████    █████████    ▀███████████    █████
████    ▄██████████▄     ▀████████▄    ████
████    █████████████       ███████    ████
████    ▀██████████▀     ▄████████▀    ████
█████    █████████    ▄███████████    █████
 █████    ███████  ▄█████████████    █████
           █████████████████████
            ▀█████████████████▀
               ▀▀█████████▀▀
████
████

████
████

████
████

████
████
TOKEN SALE
AIRDROP
                              ████
                              ████

████
          ████            ████  ████

████            ████  ████
          ████  ████  ████  ████  ████

████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
  ▬▬   GET IN TOUCH   ▬▬ 
TELEGRAM  FACEBOOK  TWITTER
YOUTUBE   INSTAGRAM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 05:56:10 PM

@SEC agent - you do understand your George Washington quote offers a libertarian endorsement don't you? It's saying ordinary people should be involved in defending a free government. Bitcoin represents the interests of ordinary people and liberty. So....
SEC agent

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

America, land of the free

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:09:03 PM

@SEC agent - you do understand your George Washington quote offers a libertarian endorsement don't you? It's saying ordinary people should be involved in defending a free government.

Its more than that, it is your duty as a citizen to not only pay taxes to your government, but also to serve and defend it. 

"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it." -George Washington
5EC948A1 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:11:27 PM

The "Crypto-Camps" have already been built for the reprogramming operation. They have not included Internet access for the patients.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcQ7mLoFro4 2 minutes 53 seconds
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:16:57 PM

@SEC agent - you do understand your George Washington quote offers a libertarian endorsement don't you? It's saying ordinary people should be involved in defending a free government.

Its more than that, it is your duty as a citizen to not only pay taxes to your government, but also to serve and defend it. 

I agree. But I think you're misunderstanding what that means.

Libertarians are not against paying taxes. They are however against being forced to pay unconstitutional taxes. Bitcoin can be taxed, just as an economy that runs on gold can.

Defending a free government doesn't mean you must enlist in the military, because a government might only be free in appearance.

Rather, truly defending a free government means being involved politically and if necessary militarily to ensure your government remains free. The arbiter of that is the U.S. Constitution. Wouldn't you agree?
Loozik

Activity: 378

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:22:15 PM

Do you actually have any evidence there are such mysterious objects in this universe as citizens?

Do me a favour and tell what a citizen is factually.
jdbtracker

Activity: 727
Merit: 500

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:24:01 PM

One can only be as free as one is able to assert their right to choose for themselves.  i do not defend nations I defend the right of my fellow citizens to earn a living, be safe in their own homes, this I can only do for myself by free choice and the actions I take to defend what I believe in.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
SEC agent

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:25:49 PM

Libertarians are not against paying taxes. They are however against being forced to pay unconstitutional taxes. Bitcoin can be taxed, just as an economy that runs on gold can.

Defending a free government doesn't mean you must enlist in the military, because a government might only be free in appearance.

Rather, truly defending a free government means being involved politically and if necessary militarily to ensure your government remains free. The arbiter of that is the U.S. Constitution. Wouldn't you agree?

I agree, I don't believe that military or other government work is the only way to serve and defend your country.  I also believe that this (duty to your country and government) is a political viewpoint that can and should be shared across all political parties, not just Libertarians.

"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it." -George Washington
SEC agent

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:27:43 PM

Do me a favour and tell what a citizen is factually.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/citizen

I'm really not going to put any more effort than that into this discussion with you (because judging from our past discussions, you are just going to go off on some silly tangent about how words have no meaning).    

Loozik

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:30:34 PM

There are four different conflicting definitions in this link. You clearly cannot use conflicting terms. Do me a favour and tell what a citizen is factually. or in what meaning you are using the term ''citizen''.
SEC agent

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:31:48 PM

I'm really not going to put any more effort than that into this discussion with you (because judging from our past discussions, you are just going to go off on some silly tangent about how words have no meaning).    

acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:33:55 PM

I agree, I don't believe that military or other government work is the only way to serve and defend your country.  I also believe that this (duty to your country and government) is a political viewpoint that can and should be shared across all political parties, not just Libertarians.

Amen to that! It sounds like you're ready to become a bitcoin user Wink
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:35:46 PM

I maintain that bitcoin will be banned and the price of it will tank when all the statist pussies wet their panties and bail.  It will continue to be useful for the third worlders and the outlaws, so it won't go away.

Nice to see you again after all these years.

I maintain that Bitcoin will become so centralized, monitored, and controlled (with taint and such) that it will put any current options we have to shame in this regard.  And that Libertarians will be to stupid to notice.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Loozik

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:39:31 PM

Don't be a pussy and tell me what a citizen is. I am starting to think you are just throwing words without understanding their meaning.

Don't be a pussy - this guy will pay you $25,000 (ongoing contest) if you can provide a single evidence there is at least one citizen on this planet http://marcstevens.net/

For you entertainment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-eImAWCqw
SEC agent

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:43:45 PM

SEC agent

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:48:50 PM

I have no problem with the bitcoin project in and of itself; and as a proof of concept, it is actually pretty interesting.  

That said, I wont be using bitcoins anytime soon.

acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:02:59 PM

I have no problem with the bitcoin project in and of itself; and as a proof of concept, it is actually pretty interesting.  

Fair enough.

You have a political quote, and hanging around this place it's easy to get the feeling all Bitcoin enthusiasts are anti-government.

It's not that. Bitcoin enthusiasts, which are often libertarian, are not necessarily anti-government/anti-taxes. They just want a government that plays by the rules, and the one thing all Americans should agree on is Constitutional rules are the ones which ultimately matter.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:08:48 PM

Why is it anyone's duty, because some bureaucrat wrote is down on a piece of paper a few centuries ago?

I can only speak for myself but my duty is to uphold my own moral values and dignity, regardless of the personalities. I say getting on your knees to do your duties is rape and you are the victim, unless of course you enjoy it.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:11:46 PM

Fair enough.

You have a political quote, and hanging around this place it's easy to get the feeling all Bitcoin enthusiasts are anti-government.

It's not that. Bitcoin enthusiasts, which are often libertarian, are not necessarily anti-government/anti-taxes. They just want a government that plays by the rules, and the one thing all Americans should agree on is Constitutional rules are the ones which ultimately matter.

In a state with as high a GINI index as the US or China, the terms 'patriot' and 'chump' are pretty interchangeable.

Likewise for anyone who thinks that the US constitution has a lot of meaning in 2013.  Especially if/when the shit hits the fan.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:12:47 PM

...snip...

Why is it anyone's duty, because some bureaucrat wrote is down on a piece of paper a few centuries ago?

I can only speak for myself but my duty is to uphold my own moral values and dignity, regardless of the personalities. I say getting on your knees to do your duties is rape and you are the victim, unless of course you enjoy it.

'Duty' is a legal term - whatever your own beliefs its your duty to pay taxes and if you evade taxes, you eventually will end up in jail.  

Out of curiosity, what is it with libertarians and rape?  Everything they dislike is akin to rape.  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: