Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:25:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [OS] UbuMiner -Free Nvidia Linux Mining Build v0.81 : Simple / Clean / 14GB  (Read 5103 times)
hatch789 (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 09:09:10 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2017, 06:10:35 PM by hatch789

Does it self install the necessary drivers for both Nvidia and AMD?

Is miner software auto updated?

If not then adding more user simplicity will go a long way towards more prevalent use. Check the features for EthOS I've been looking for a simple solution like this but with mid size farm control panel that even a monkey could understand. Build the OS for the masses (that includes Joe miner who never knew what Bitcoin was until last week.) and if your desire is widespread use, it will happen.

Yes it self installs the proper Nvidia drivers. Today I plan on testing actually pre-installing the proper Nvidia drivers right into the build before release. AMD is not tested yet. That's why the title of this thread is Nvidia.

The build is auto updating via sync logic. I plan to expand that to web syncing for the public.

Thanks,
-Hatch -= http://UbuMiner.com =-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Porticus

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 08:24:30 PM

the operating system does not boot after installing it, I downloaded it, decompressed it with 7-zip, and installed it with the hdd raw copy tool, I leave you images of the error!

hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 11:04:31 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2017, 04:27:13 AM by hatch789

the operating system does not boot after installing it, I downloaded it, decompressed it with 7-zip, and installed it with the hdd raw copy tool, I leave you images of the error!

Porticus thank you. You're the first to acknowledge that you're trying to boot from my new UbuMiner build! That's awesome.

I'm just curious what kind of motherboard are you using? On newer motherboards you have to clear your Secure Boot keys out of bios.
My newer Z270-A motherboards will do the same thing if I don't clear the boot keys out.

You can look at nvOC's thread to see half way down his OP he talks about various motherboard settings. He said he has no problem with my referring people to his list:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1854250.0

If you clear the secure keys and it doesn't boot. Try holding SHIFT to get into the grub menu and pick the Recovery Mode (3rd option from top). Once you get to the mid-boot menu; you can continue normal boot.

Thanks,
dstm

Activity: 350
Merit: 126

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 11:13:59 PM

Why are nouveau drivers being loaded?
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 11:25:30 PM

Why are nouveau drivers being loaded?

Well because I was taking the approach that I would load the drivers AFTER people boot up the first time. That's what First Boot script does (desktop icon) ...but I wanted to try to pre-install the Nvidia drivers (384) on the image now that I have gotten it further along. I just didn't get a chance to do that today.

Nouveau drivers are loaded when you do not have any normal Video Card drivers ...right? -The standard Ubuntu install puts them there by default for desktop install. -At least that's what I understand.

So hopefully this part will go away as soon as I pre-install the proper Nvidia 384 drivers. But irregardless, I don't believe this is why Porticus cannot boot up. I'm hoping his issue is just secure boot keys in bios.

Thanks,
dstm

Merit: 126

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 11:34:17 PM

I'm not familiar with ubuntu. Does it use a gui for install? Loading nouveau drivers - even for the installation process - might bring issues, especially on newer GPUs. So if it's possible I would avoid it for a mining OS, since you need the proprietary nvidia drivers for cuda anyway.
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 11:39:56 PM

I'm not familiar with ubuntu. Does it use a gui for install? Loading nouveau drivers - even for the installation process - might bring issues, especially on newer GPUs. So if it's possible I would avoid it for a mining OS, since you need the proprietary nvidia drivers for cuda anyway.

You definitely do not mine with nouveau. It's just what the O/S installs right out of the box. I am working on getting the Nvidia drivers (384 version) installed now ...just had a lot to do outside today and have not had a ton of time to work on my build. I am working on it now so look for an update soon!

Thanks,
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 04:38:58 AM

OK guys, as I said earlier this evening I was working on getting the next version out: v0.70. This one has built in pre-installed nvidia-384 drivers. The build is complete now and it's just going through the whole process of building the new .img file; zipping it up; hashing everything with SHA256 and then exporting it to my server. It should be finished around 1am Eastern Time (about 20 minutes from now).

This one should not have anymore nouveau drivers in it and should only require running the script FirstBoot.

I hope a few people download and install this version as it should be a nice one. Also remember to clear your Secure Boot Keys in your BIOS when you boot up with UbuMiner the first time with a new build.

Thanks,
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 01:26:59 PM

Just to let everyone know, I have successfully tested the v0.70 build on 2 different motherboards without any issues. Boots right up clean and very fast. The drivers being pre-installed, worked perfectly.

I am burning another 16G USB stick right now for testing on my Z270-A motherboards now. I have 4 of these running so it should be fine provided I clear the Secure Boot Keys in the BIOS prior to the first boot.

I am hopeful some of you will download and try this new build as it's a nice jump in deployment speed since the nvidia-384 drivers are now pre-installed.

Remember to check the nvOC thread (First Page) for the list of various motherboard BIOS settings you need to do if using one of those motherboards to test my build:

Thanks,
Porticus

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 07:19:26 PM

Porticus thank you. You're the first to acknowledge that you're trying to boot from my new UbuMiner build! That's awesome.

I'm just curious what kind of motherboard are you using? On newer motherboards you have to clear your Secure Boot keys out of bios.
My newer Z270-A motherboards will do the same thing if I don't clear the boot keys out.

You can look at nvOC's thread to see half way down his OP he talks about various motherboard settings. He said he has no problem with my referring people to his list:

If you clear the secure keys and it doesn't boot. Try holding SHIFT to get into the grub menu and pick the Recovery Mode (3rd option from top). Once you get to the mid-boot menu; you can continue normal boot.

I use an Asrock pro BTC 2.0, the GPUs are 1050TI, it's a test rig, I try to test new things, performance and more, tomorrow if I can prove what you just told me, thank you and continue with the project!

hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 07:30:25 PM

I use an Asrock pro BTC 2.0, the GPUs are 1050TI, it's a test rig, I try to test new things, performance and more, tomorrow if I can prove what you just told me, thank you and continue with the project!

Well I just loaded up v0.70 early AM this morning. So use that build. It already has the nvidia-384 drivers installed for you.  Cheesy

If you make sure the Secure Boot Keys are cleared in the BIOS (if it even has Secure Boot Keys) then you should be fine. I was in the midst of testing on my Z270-A motherboard when we got company so I will get to testing that motherboard with this build in another hour or so. It has worked flawlessly on the 2 boards I tested it on so far. I think you'll like this v0.70 build, so I'll be anxious for your feedback Porticus. Thank you for trying my build and thank you for the feedback so far.

Thanks,
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 08:34:21 PM

I've glanced through the thread

From a user standpoint

Why would I use your OS over nvOC

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 09:41:23 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2017, 09:56:28 PM by hatch789

I've glanced through the thread

From a user standpoint

Why would I use your OS over nvOC

Hello VoskCoin,

Thank you for at least asking. The whole reason I started my own build was for one purpose: the easiest most complete control over all overclocking needs on a per-coin basis.

Each coin we encounter requires different overclocking nuances. Sometimes differences exist even on the same coin with different mining software. Little special tweaks in this mining software, vs that mining software. Equihash vs Ethash vs Skunkhash. Everything is different. So to that that end I created a simple and effective way to manage those differences.

The .coin files that I have created are literally the absolute minimum you need to fire up and overclock every card you have individually as an autonomous unit. Every single card you have can be separately controlled simply and easily in the .coin files. That's the beauty and the simplicity of what I have built.

I have also arranged all of the miners (the ones I have build in so far) in a simple Workers directory where we can easily add more and more as the build grows. For now I'm just doing it all alone and sharing what I do. My hope  is simple. That people who start using my build, share more miners with me so I can incorporate them into the build along with countless new .coin files for all of the other coins coming out.

You see, my build is so simple and easy that this is the hidden treasure. In mere minutes one can create a new .coin file ...individually overclock everything just right and get that new coin mining in a matter of minutes; not days or weeks. Then they send me that .coin file and even a whole new miner if needed and I can distribute that to the rest of the community instantly.

The build also has the benefits of properly fitting on a 16G USB stick and boots up in seconds. Other builds I have tried could not come anywhere close to this. -No offense to those builds. They were just different work from mine and served different purposes.

So simple, effective, clean. When someone finally takes the step and tries my build, hopefully they can confirm my statements here as all being true and people will start to see the benefits.

I am soon going to begin working on a web interface for people to easily upload .coin files as well as Miner directories and then give the UbuMiner users an easy way to get those updates from me. So let's say VoskMaster (your bigger, smarter, and better looking mentor) comes up with a new miner to mine VoskGold coins (and they are a big hit). He sends the new miner and .coin file to the UbuMiner homepage. You can (the lowly VoskCoin) can now instantly download and install the update that VoskMaster provided. You can install it on your test rig to ensure it works properly and then with the press of a button disseminate that update to the rest of your UbuMiner builds.

The new mining process with the new VoskGold coin that your mentor uploaded not even an hour before; can be running on all 238 of your mining rigs in a matter of minutes. Simple, easy, no coding required and everything works smoothly. That's the dream. -Now VoskCoin can be a VoskMaster, just like his bigger, smarter mentor.  Grin

Hopefully my little colorful analogy doesn't offend you. But I'm trying to share the vision with you and with everyone in a way that people can see the larger vision that I'm trying to bring to life.

Thanks,
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 10:23:58 PM

Just downloaded the 0.7 zip file.
Can I "dd" the img file to HDD?
I do not have m$ machine around.

Yes I install the .img file onto HDD's without any problem. You can use the HDDcopy tool linked on UbuMiner.com

Thanks,
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 10:50:47 PM

Hello
I do not have Microsoft Windows machine here, your copy tool is ended with .exe
I have a ubuntu server here
My question is, can I use Linux DD command to dump your img file to HDD?

Thank.

Ahh ok sorry. There is a utility called ETCHER (https://etcher.io/) that you can use in Linux. That should do the trick for you.

IMPORTANT:
I just found my old friend the stupid problem with pre-installed nvidia drivers. On 2 of my Z270-A motherboard rigs I used v0.62. This version walks the user through installing nvidia drivers fresh on their new system. These 2 rigs worked perfectly.

Then on v0.70 I tried installing the drivers ahead of time (in the build) and distributing that way. It worked fine on 2 (slightly older) motherboards. But gives a TON of kernel errors on the newer Z270-A motherboards.

Sooooooo ...I'm leaning toward scrapping the whole PRE-Installed video drivers and just going back to making that part of the FirstBoot process. Due to this finding, I'm pulling v0.70 off of the Download site!

Installing the drivers yourself adds about 3 minutes to the installation process and an extra reboot, but my FirstBoot scrip walks you through the entire process. You just press ENTER to continue. in the grand scheme of things it's cleaner and better for the rig to have the drivers installed fresh by the end user on their own hardware at your end.

Pre-installing the video drivers was an experiment. So I'm putting the v0.62 version back on the UbuMiner.com/Download site while I re-build the base code and move on with v0.71. Sorry for the confusion!

yyfong ...Please pull v0.62 down and burn that instead. I'm working on the next build v0.71 now, but it will be a while before it's uploaded to the website.

Thanks,
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 04:18:24 AM

OK Version 0.71 is being prepared right now. It should be ready for download by about 12:35am Eastern time.

Sorry for the problems with v0.70 and the pre-installed drivers, that was a nasty little mess. This version should be better now. Have a good night. I'm off to bed.

Thanks,
car1999

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 10:15:07 AM

it is 6:13 AM Eastern Time, cannot see 0.71 in the download page.
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 10:51:53 AM

it is 6:13 AM Eastern Time, cannot see 0.71 in the download page.

Crap, I'm sorry!

I inserted a new routine in last night to update the website html pages and version history. The problem line was UpdateWebsite.bat but I should have used call UpdateWebsite.bat instead.

The new little html update routine ran but never returned to the parent batch file. So the files were sitting here and never got uploaded to the site.

I've fixed the routine now. Actually, even went a step further and put that little CALL after the UbuMiner build ZIP is copied out to the server, so if I ever mess up that (UpdateWebsite.bat) again it won't hurt the main routine!

Sorry about that!

Thanks,
Porticus

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 02:36:39 PM

Well I just loaded up v0.70 early AM this morning. So use that build. It already has the nvidia-384 drivers installed for you.  Cheesy

If you make sure the Secure Boot Keys are cleared in the BIOS (if it even has Secure Boot Keys) then you should be fine. I was in the midst of testing on my Z270-A motherboard when we got company so I will get to testing that motherboard with this build in another hour or so. It has worked flawlessly on the 2 boards I tested it on so far. I think you'll like this v0.70 build, so I'll be anxious for your feedback Porticus. Thank you for trying my build and thank you for the feedback so far.

Ok perfect, I got out of work and I'm getting nowhere with it, it's going down SO, we'll see how it works ^^^

hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 03:26:37 PM

Ok perfect, I got out of work and I'm getting nowhere with it, it's going down SO, we'll see how it works ^^^

Hi Porticus, Not sure I'm following you? What's going down?

I pulled v0.70 because the pre-installed video drivers were messing things up. I have put v0.71 out there now (as of this morning) so please try that new v0.71 build and let me know how you make out with it.

Thanks,
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: