Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:27:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to mod you RX570 4GB and overclock it  (Read 1420 times)
StartMiner (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:11:37 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2017, 08:25:05 AM by StartMiner
Merited by kipper01 (1)

Hello everyone,
I know that there a few guides on the internet about that I only got my hashrate up when combining different things from each guide.

I bought some Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 4 GB (Elpida memory) which had only around 21,5MH/s stock. First thing I did was overclocking and I got uo to 24,8MH/s. But that wasn't enough. Eventually with an easy BIOS mod and overclocking I can reach up to 27,8 MH/s but I'm running on 27,3MH/s due to better hashrate/power consumption ratio.

First some rules:
a) Don't flash without a backup! Really guys, if the flash did not work you usually can easily get it back to working when you have your backup file.
b) Don't flash or make a backup while your cards are overclocked.
c) Don't flash all cards at once. If you have more than one card just try it with one first. Don't try it with the one which is connected to the screen because if it did not work you will need your screen

So lets start

1. Get the type of your graphics memory
For that install GPU-Z. When you open it you can see the memory type of your card (see picture https://imgur.com/YMUsJTB). Now look it up for all of your cards. At the bottom of the program there is a dropdown menu where you can choose your card. Note the memory type for each card in the right order.

2. Make a BIOS backup
Then you  need to make a BIOS backup. Always do this while your card is not overclocked.  I saw a lot of people using GPU-Z for that but I also heard from some people that GPU-Z sometimes corruptes the backup and you can brick your card. Because of that I used the recommended software called AtiFlash (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/). When you open the AtiFlash folder start AtiWinFlash. In the top right you can choose your card and you can see which card is connected to you screen. Now if you have for example 5 exact same cards (same Subvendor (e.g. Sapphire), same GPU storage (e.g. 4GB), same memory type (e.g. Elpida)) then you only need to backup one card. This backup will work for all cards. If you have some differences, just make a backup for each card. Safe these backups additionally on a usb stick or in your cloud. Btw: to save a backup just click on save Wink

3. Mod the BIOS or get a modded one
If you want to mod your BIOS file alone just watch this video: https://youtu.be/JKM60VVIfRg?t=6m52s . But make sure that you copy ALL 1500 timing straps up to the 2000. So do this for 0: for 1: and for 2:. If you don't want to modd the BIOS on your own you can get modded versions on anorak.tech (I'm using one of these https://anorak.tech/t/sapphire-rx-570-nitro/5332). But again make sure that everything is the same. So if there is BIOS for download for the 8 GB version and you have 4GB, don't use it!

4. Flash the BIOS
Remember to not do this while overclocking! Open AtiWinFlash, choose the card you want to flash, choose the BIOS version and start flashing. When the programm says that you need to restart, do the restart.

5. Patiching the driver if necessary
Sometimes the GPU does not get recognized anymore after flashing. You can easily resolve this by patching the driver. This happens because of some driver signature check failure (but it's no big deal). To patch the driver download atikmdag-patcher and start the .exe file. Then restart your computer.
If everything worked your GPU should now be detected and hashing at a higher rate (just try it).

6. Overclocking
For overclocking I personally use Trixx but you can also use Afterburner.
2 phenomenons I noticed:
a) With the newest AMD drivers I couldn't overclock my cards. If you have this problem get an older version (e.g. 16.11.5).
b) When mining with Claymore the hashrate didn't change when I changed my memory clock. In reallity it did change but it just wasn't shown in Claymore. When you have the same issue you need to change the memory clock and then start Claymore again and you will see your new hashrate.

So first increase your memory clock always by around 50 MHz. See if your hashrate increases and see if your system runs stable. If the hashrate drops or if you are getting artifacts get one step back. This should be your optimum for the memory clock. By optimum I mean the optimum for the hashrate but not for the hashrate/powerconsumption ratio. Always check how much more power you are using and if it is worth the higher rate.

Then do the same with the core clock.

The last thing you need to do is undervolting to save some electrcity. Decrease the voltage in 10mV steps. Find the point where it's decreased enough but running stable. If your system crashes after you close Claymore, put the voltage up a bit.

7. Make long run test
So that's it. Now just check if your system runs stable for a day or more and you are good to go.

If this was helpful I would be very glad about a donation:
BTC: 1NkSDEs9rVfdbrDjhL5mfAqpayVSM2hqhZ
ETH: 0x7C86E082e4B5e237cdB57eB201f784aE1eb0b650
LTC: LVAAZQGEJrDxAsZQ8jYt7w96dSZ6JcqTLF

EDIT 11.09.2017: ziki61 reminded me of the AMD BETA Blockchain driver. I used this driver once before but couldn't overclock my graphics in Trixx so I put back on an old one. Now I tried again and I did the overclocking in AMD Wattman and it works perfect! From 27,3 MH/s up to 28,8MH/s with the same power usage! If you already BIOS modded your cards and you want to put the new driver, you need to pay attention: With every new driver you also need to patch it to be recognized. This means that you first have to put the original BIOS back (but only to your first card which is connected to the screen), then put the new driver. Now you will notice that all your cards with the modded BIOS aren't detected anymore. For that you need to patch it again and restart. At this point all cards should be detected. If so, you can modd your remaining card.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:20:30 PM

You can also try the PolarisBiosEditor v1.6 'one-click timing patch' bundled performance straps. PBE v1.6 'one click timing patch' will apply the performance strap for each set of straps based on which memory type it detects. Then just save the Bios and flash it. Worked great for all my RX 570/580 cards and was better than just randomly copying straps.

https://github.com/jaschaknack/PolarisBiosEditor
StartMiner (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:35:29 PM

What hashrate do you currently have on your RX 570 and which memory type?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:46:55 PM

The RX 570's are the three on the end. GPU5 is a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 4GB and the other two are Powercolor Red Dragon RX 570 4GB cards. All three have dual straps with Hynix and Elpida memory.

StartMiner (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 08:05:22 PM

Ok this hashrate is really quite good. What power usage do you have per card? Especially the Sapphire would interest me.
StartMiner (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 08:24:54 AM

EDIT 11.09.2017: ziki61 reminded me of the AMD BETA Blockchain driver. I used this driver once before but couldn't overclock my graphics in Trixx so I put back on an old one. Now I tried again and I did the overclocking in AMD Wattman and it works perfect! From 27,3 MH/s up to 28,8MH/s with the same power usage! If you already BIOS modded your cards and you want to put the new driver, you need to pay attention: With every new driver you also need to patch it to be recognized. This means that you first have to put the original BIOS back (but only to your first card which is connected to the screen), then put the new driver. Now you will notice that all your cards with the modded BIOS aren't detected anymore. For that you need to patch it again and restart. At this point all cards should be detected. If so, you can modd your remaining card.
d1sc0danc3r

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 05:10:01 AM

This still works great. Thank you all for this. I moved from 17Mh/s to 24Mh/s.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: