Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:35:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strategies for protesting worthless coins  (Read 907 times)
Wilderness (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:44:11 PM

The purpose of this thread is to discuss potential strategies to help people identify and oppose worthless coins.
Obviously whether or not a coin is worthless is purely subjective. This is an open thread but in the interest of deliberate discussion I suggest the following questions / format (until a better alternative is offered).

1 - COIN IDENTIFICATION
   1a - What in your mind constitutes a coin being worthless
   1b - What principles or best practices make a coin worth supporting
   1c - Do morales play a part in your choice of coin to support / mine
   1d - What do you expect from the creator(s)? i.e. is technical proficiency, reputation or post count important?

2 - Strategies for opposition
   2a - What's the best method for opposing a coin that you perceive as being worthless
   2b - Does posting in the coins thread ultimately help or hinder the coin - i.e. let the thread die or keep bumping it whilst trying to offer discussion

3 - SHARED PURPOSE
   3a - as a community do we have a shared purpose or obligation?
   3b - does supporting a coin you perceive as worthless help or hinder the community or make no difference?

DISCLAIMER

I have observed and participated in the pump and dumps since FTC/ CNC and WDC. At first my stance was the typical free market line - if people want to buy a worthless coin who am I to stop them? I still kind of feel this way, but after the most recent sexcoin release I have started to wonder what are the broader implications for the community with this trend?

If we're at the point where anyone can just release a coin, give themselves 2 million to start, elect themselves the central figure to 'distribute' these coins with almost 0 transparency before starting a sales / trade thread 2 hours after release then I feel we have a problem.

In closing, this thread is not about me or whether IM MAD BRO, but about creating a dialogue to address if we have a problem, if so how to address this problem and help the community grow and improve.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hydroponica

Activity: 182

fml

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:54:58 PM

The purpose of this thread is to discuss potential strategies to help people identify and oppose worthless coins.
Obviously whether or not a coin is worthless is purely subjective. This is an open thread but in the interest of deliberate discussion I suggest the following questions / format (until a better alternative is offered).

1 - COIN IDENTIFICATION
   1d - What do you expect from the creator(s)? i.e. is technical proficiency, reputation or post count important?

2a - What's the best method for opposing a coin that you perceive as being worthless
   2b - Does posting in the coins thread ultimately help or hinder the coin - i.e. let the thread die or keep bumping it whilst trying to offer discussion

3 - SHARED PURPOSE
   3b - does supporting a coin you perceive as worthless help or hinder the community or make no difference?

DISCLAIMER

I have observed and participated in the pump and dumps since FTC/ CNC and WDC. At first my stance was the typical free market line - if people want to buy a worthless coin who am I to stop them? I still kind of feel this way, but after the most recent sexcoin release I have started to wonder what are the broader implications for the community with this trend?

If we're at the point where anyone can just release a coin, give themselves 2 million to start, elect themselves the central figure to 'distribute' these coins with almost 0 transparency before starting a sales / trade thread 2 hours after release then I feel we have a problem.

In closing, this thread is not about me or whether IM MAD BRO, but about creating a dialogue to address if we have a problem, if so how to address this problem and help the community grow and improve.

Forgot 1 question. Was Hazard paid, to create this coin?

bitdwarf

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:02:58 AM

Those threads are like a quick list of people to ignore. I don't know how many ignores it takes for the link to get yellowed, but maybe people will hesitate if they realize they are selling their reputation for SomethingCoins.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
Wilderness (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:04:07 AM

Those threads are like a quick list of people to ignore. I don't know how many ignores it takes for the link to get yellowed, but maybe people will hesitate if they realize they are selling their reputation for SomethingCoins.

can you elaborate please? This sounds like a legitimate strategy.
noelmal

Activity: 265

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:05:46 AM

yes good idea lets all start witch hunts on the forum  Cry

and if people are supporting a alt coin then its of value to them. its not always about money. sometimes it the value in the learning experience whether that be learning to mine or to trade.

if my alt coin are worth nothing down the road doesn't mean I got nothing out of them,
Wilderness (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:06:10 AM

1 - COIN IDENTIFICATION

3 - SHARED PURPOSE

DISCLAIMER

that could go under 1d IMO. Hydoponica from the other posts of yours I've read I feel you're certainly opposed. Do you have some more in-depth strategies or opinions to share?
kevindeangelis

Activity: 448
Merit: 130

3D-Printing goes Blockchain!

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:08:44 AM

although, in all fairness, a coin does have to start somewhere.  It might be worthless, but it should be given a chance to live and die on its own.

bitdwarf

Activity: 406

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:09:33 AM

can you elaborate please? This sounds like a legitimate strategy.

If a lot people ignores an account the Ignore link appears hilighted in yellow. I don't think it's very effective and the users probably don't care, but it does something and saves me time by decluttering the forum for me.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
Wilderness (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:11:49 AM

although, in all fairness, a coin does have to start somewhere.  It might be worthless, but it should be given a chance to live and die on its own.

good point and I don't disagree. Can you share what attributes a coin would have for you to:

1 - support / mine it
2 - ignore it
3 - oppose it
jasonslow

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:12:27 AM

although, in all fairness, a coin does have to start somewhere.  It might be worthless, but it should be given a chance to live and die on its own.

+1 All coins should have given chance and let the market decide its fate.
Wilderness (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:16:33 AM

yes good idea lets all start witch hunts on the forum  Cry

and if people are supporting a alt coin then its of value to them. its not always about money. sometimes it the value in the learning experience whether that be learning to mine or to trade.

if my alt coin are worth nothing down the road doesn't mean I got nothing out of them,

I totally agree about learning mining / trading. These new alt-coins are what has ultimately motivated me to figure out how to solo-mine.

You've discussed what new coins can give, but ignored what they can take. Do you believe that a greed-intentioned coin could damage the community or scare aware more people than it educates?

One last question, do you think labeling a request for opposing discussion on a topic as a 'witch hunt' is fair or correct?
RandyMagnum

Activity: 662

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:17:03 AM

although, in all fairness, a coin does have to start somewhere.  It might be worthless, but it should be given a chance to live and die on its own.

Even the mockery coins?  YAC (Yet Another Coin), JKC (Junkcoin), and I don't care to rummage through the 19 coins created this month.
kevindeangelis

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:23:56 AM

Even the mockery coins?  YAC (Yet Another Coin), JKC (Junkcoin), and I don't care to rummage through the 19 coins created this month.

of course! ... actually, I think I probably have most of them listed on the site I created last week - www.WhereToMine.com  Really, if enough people think it is of some value then, why not.  Yes, the names might be rediculous - but, if coins can be traded for something of value, then they have a chance ... once it starts to lose that value, then it will just fall apart.

Wilderness (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:35:56 AM

I'm not 100% sure where I stand on scamcoins, but at the moment I'm leaning towards CBF opposing it, I'm not on a crusade. Better to just use the time / energy in identifying whether or not the creator is trying to make a real coin or pump and dump
wheatrich

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:43:12 AM

bitcoin was worthless for a long time
jasonslow

Activity: 574

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:43:54 AM

1+
kevindeangelis

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:58:36 AM

1+

+1

Hydroponica

Activity: 182

fml

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:08:19 AM

1 - COIN IDENTIFICATION

3 - SHARED PURPOSE

DISCLAIMER

that could go under 1d IMO. Hydoponica from the other posts of yours I've read I feel you're certainly opposed. Do you have some more in-depth strategies or opinions to share?

I just can't understanf why people waste their time. The last 4 or 5 coins, have all been the same. Someone releases a coin, which is almost an exact carbon copy, with a few minor tweaks, and a name change. Somebody with a retarded hashrate, rapes the shit out of it. The first one to create a WTS thread, sells a few to collectors, then they disapear into darkness. The next day, 2 more coins are released. And people mine them. The same people, everytime, complain about nothing but orphans....And Devs get sll upset, when you bash their coin, like they actually believe, that in a time, when coins are being released 2 or 3 a day, that their coin is going to take off, and make them rich, because their coin, is the best, because it has a cool name...
I believe the standard has been set, by DGC. It's fast, its secure. It had a launch, that prevented anyone from hoarding too much, before the diff increased. Zero premining, and very little chance for insta mining....

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:39:02 AM

I just can't understanf why people waste their time.

attacking every alt coin in every thread  Wink
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:50:00 AM

The only solution is consumer awareness. If people want to waste hashes mining them, or maybe even make a few bucks, its fine, but if they are buying these coins, they need to realize what they are involved in is essentially a get rich quick scheme. So as long as they know that and protect themselves, it might be worth the risk, but ultimately in my opinion its simply not worth the trouble. Its probably only really worth it for the "developers."

Personally I only hold BTC and LTC and will await the arrival of Netcoins before mining or buying any other alts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: