Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:45:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it common for the mining pools to get D.O.S. attacks?  (Read 934 times)
Kingpin (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 10:41:22 PM

Why would people do this i joined a small pool and it is always under attack. Both the site and the pool server.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Seaco

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 10:46:54 PM

i've been mining for a month with deepbit-slush and btcguild, and id say IMHO that noticeable DDOs happen like twice a month for the bigger pools. I do however keep my mining profiles with 3 or so pools, and remotely log (using free logme in via any internet connection) into the miner and switch if X pool is down. Would be nice that the mining gui would fallback to other pools if X is down.
magicrat80

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 11:34:46 PM

AOCLBF (a.k.a. Phoenix Rising) Frontend supports backup pools. I can't get it working on my machines unfortunately (Windows 7 64bit) but others may be able to. Just search AOCLBF in the forums to find it.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 11:41:14 PM

Why would people do this i joined a small pool and it is always under attack. Both the site and the pool server.
My guess, and this is only a guess, is that it's other miners or other pool owners trying to reduce the competition.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Kingpin (OP)

Activity: 50

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 11:51:58 PM

Thats what i thought that its others that dont like the difficulty going up. but am i right if the difficulty goes up so does the value?
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 11:53:44 PM

Thats what i thought that its others that dont like the difficulty going up. but am i right if the difficulty goes up so does the value?
I can't imagine any reason why that would be. BitCoins are still created at the same rate.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
godofal

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

TACNAYN - destroyer of worlds

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 01:51:21 AM

I can't imagine any reason why that would be. BitCoins are still created at the same rate.

true, but then theyr generated at others (ie theyr own) pools, so more profit for them
most pools handle a fee of at least 1% or so, so the more people hash with them, the more money they get from it
ofcourse blocking one pool doesnt mean that all the users go to your pool, but at least a portion of it will

lafiamafia

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 05:56:15 PM

Yes, they probably want to reduce competition and thus make more BTC
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 02:36:16 PM

They would be doing this to decrease the difficulty as less hashing power = less increase in next difficulty.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 02:49:44 PM

lol

In my experience most "small pools suffering DDOS" are incorrectly configured.
Mining (all those getworks and stuff) can look a lot like a DDOS, one startup pool even had their host block them as they were getting "ddosed" they weren't they were just trying to load test... Smiley
The other thing that can be a problem is botnets, as far as I am aware most pools discourage them, do it wrong and anger one they can turn and DDOS...

apart from that conspiracy theory it up guys - you are doing great, I'm laughing Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 02:53:41 PM

lol

In my experience most "small pools suffering DDOS" are incorrectly configured.
Mining (all those getworks and stuff) can look a lot like a DDOS, one startup pool even had their host block them as they were getting "ddosed" they weren't they were just trying to load test... Smiley
The other thing that can be a problem is botnets, as far as I am aware most pools discourage them, do it wrong and anger one they can turn and DDOS...

apart from that conspiracy theory it up guys - you are doing great, I'm laughing Smiley

Probably it's the Martians trying to gain financial foothold here for world domination!  Cheesy

On a more serious note, I've kind of remembered that most DDOS's happen before a difficulty change - so my theory about difficulty decrease would be kind of correct.  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: