Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:05:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If Cryptocurrency is "Property" then is a Sec. 1031 Exchange Possible?  (Read 127 times)
secattorney (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 02:48:14 AM

The IRS deems cryptocurrency to be property. The SEC would likely identify some ico tokens to be securities

The following are not able to be used in a Section 1031 "like kind" exchange

Inventory or stock in trade
Stocks, bonds, or notes
Other securities or debt
Partnership interests
Certificates of trust

But, bitcoin, litecoin, ethereum, are clearly not securities, but rather digital assets that provide for a participation right in a particular economy or market

Thus, could one defer speculative bitcoin trading gains in a Section 1031 exchange?

*maybe* is my thought, but perhaps a tax expert can weigh in: https://youtu.be/D6Crr-Ov2Cs

**not tax advice, of course

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
baradfo

Activity: 232
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 03:30:59 AM

The IRS deems cryptocurrency to be property. The SEC would likely identify some ico tokens to be securities

The following are not able to be used in a Section 1031 "like kind" exchange

Inventory or stock in trade
Stocks, bonds, or notes
Other securities or debt
Partnership interests
Certificates of trust

But, bitcoin, litecoin, ethereum, are clearly not securities, but rather digital assets that provide for a participation right in a particular economy or market

Thus, could one defer speculative bitcoin trading gains in a Section 1031 exchange?

*maybe* is my thought, but perhaps a tax expert can weigh in: https://youtu.be/D6Crr-Ov2Cs

**not tax advice, of course

From what I've been told was that you could liken cryptocurrencies like gold. You can't do a 1031 exchange for gold or other precious metals, and can't do it for cryptos. Of course I'm not a tax lawyer and am still wading through that quagmire of legal red tape of the government not knowing what to classify cryptos as and trying to classify it as all. It would be nice if the U.S. government actually figures out what to classify cryptos as and keep it there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: