Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:47:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Value do YOU think bitcoins will be worth once all coins are mined?  (Read 2335 times)
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 06:56:29 PM

The single biggest threat to Bitcoin is governmental regulation. Personally I consider this the biggest risk - buying goods with Bitcoins avoids sales taxes (here in the UK - VAT, which is charged at 20% and a considerable income for the government) and you simply can't believe that any government is going to let this just happen...

I look forward to regulation - if you mean outlawing or general noise in parliament/congress. But if it's a scalpel attack (like funding sophisticated crackers, adding fear) then I think there is trouble on the horizon.

In the United States, I understand internet sales are generally already tax free. If for example, Europe made a lot of noise about tax evasion, that would get a lot of Americans curious. Since countries don't harmonize policy, later countries will take a trade advantage other earlier bans. Thomas Friedman was right about at least one thing. Countries are competing in a race to the bottom.

I think the single greatest threat is the ease with which a wallet can be stolen. I am already moving the majority of my bitcoins offline, will not put bitcoins on my phone, nor can recommend this to family and friends (no in fact I would now discourage most). That's hardly liquid. But by the time all bitcoins are mined (if even 2/3 are ever mined) then by that time all these problems would have been ironed out (or we wouldn't have gotten there). If bitcoins are still trading above $15 two years from now then why not for hundreds or thousands time more?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
raresaturn

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Everyone Is A Bank

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 09:56:21 PM

The single biggest threat to Bitcoin is governmental regulation. Personally I consider this the biggest risk - buying goods with Bitcoins avoids sales taxes (here in the UK - VAT, which is charged at 20% and a considerable income for the government) and you simply can't believe that any government is going to let this just happen... Either Bitcoin will have to play the game (in which case they'll be worth a LOT in the future) or they'll be perpetually grey- or black-market currencies. In *that* case, your guess is as good as mine.

If governments are worried about tax avoidance, they they will have to start paying wages and salaries in bitcoin, and withhold the income tax from your regular pay.  It the only way to regulate it.

BABB        |[     BANK ACCOUNT BASED BLOCKCHAIN     ]|       Everyone is a bank
▬                       JOIN TOKEN SALE                       ▬
▬▬▬▬▬     JOIN THE COMMUNITY    |    Telegram     ▬▬▬▬▬
Kasmal

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:38:11 PM

So long as no crippling vulnerabilities in bitcoins ever exposed, widespread adoption seems quite likely which could easily lead to price of $100,000/Btc
octopusdarling

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:41:11 PM

So, if the more miners there are the faster the coins get mined, and the harder it is to mine the more valuable they will become? It would be really cool to figure out who mined the very last block when that happens.
ercolinux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 11:32:57 PM

IMHO miners can move really little the bitcoin value, at the moment the "big players" are the traders, so we can expect some peak in both direction (I can imagine something in 10-40$) but as  more shops and online services will accept bitcoin we can see a more stable trend (fluctuation are inevitable but perhaps there will be in the +/-10% range): and as the BTC economy grows the coins has to grow in value too. I can imagine a value of 100-120$ in 2-4 years  and 400-1000$ in another 5-6 years. Or on the other side no or little shops wants to use BTC and so the price will remain in 10-40$ range.
Just my 0.00000001BTC Wink

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: