Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:27:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Again, a block with 0 transactions is accepted  (Read 4408 times)
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:05:56 PM

The owner of address 1Baf75Ferj6A7AoN565gCQj9kGWbDMHfN9 and the person who generated that block is is the pool Eclipse.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:06:14 PM

There's nothing wrong with blocks that only contain a coinbase transaction, they still add proof of work to secure the block chain.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:06:52 PM

so 1 data point is enough for you to conclude it's "too often?"

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:07:28 PM

There's nothing wrong with blocks that only contain a coinbase transaction, they still add proof of work to secure the block chain.
I think OP means that transactions don't get confirmed this way.

Blueberry408

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

One American Sumbitch Which Love 8

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:07:35 PM

While this miner is not adding transactions in his block, there will be times where there will be no TXes to add in a block and I am talking about edge-cases where a block is found seconds after another. Will you also reject those?

Yes.

I repeat: bitcoin is about transactions; so, no transaction should mean automatic rejection.

Perhaps this must be hardcoded in incoming releases of the client.

No hang on, bitcoin includes the ability to pass signed cryptograms for trust certification purposes. I don't think you're going to find that functionality separable from transaction processing... no?

Feel free to send along any spare floating point remainders: 1CVTqVbqHTw35xGKfp4vmxggKdkMVwswtr
mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:08:22 PM

Sure, if zero transaction blocks are all we have.

Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:10:07 PM

True, but if a block is found on avg every 10 minutes, and one is found but has only a coinbase transaction, then a user must wait an additional 10 minutes for his TX to confirm.

mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:10:34 PM

OK, that's true.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:12:01 PM

Transactions from previous blocks do get confirmed this way. mmeijeri is correct.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:18:10 PM

Transactions from previous blocks do get confirmed this way. mmeijeri is correct.

Yes, but new ones won't.

Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 05:20:11 PM

I'm becoming too old. I remember this exact discussion and proposed solutions when so called mystery miner gained significant percentage of the hash power and did not included any transactions besides the coinbase. The exact same discussion.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67634.20
There were more topics. Not sure if this is THE one.
Shevek (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:21:07 PM

Blocks with transactions ALSO secures the blockchain AND additionally provides the service bitcoin is destined to.

Proposals for improving bitcoin are like asses: everybody has one
1SheveKuPHpzpLqSvPSavik9wnC51voBa
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:32:27 PM

Blocks with transactions ALSO secures the blockchain AND additionally provides the service bitcoin is destined to.
OK, fair enough. My comment above was simply meant to point out that zero-tx blocks, while not optimal, still provide some service to the network. I don't think this is something worth worrying about. Let each user and miner (including the presumed botnet operator) decide what they want to do. As a user, I am comfortable with any of the likely outcomes.  Not a big deal, really.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:36:31 PM

True, but if a block is found on avg every 10 minutes, and one is found but has only a coinbase transaction, then a user must wait an additional 10 minutes for his TX to confirm.

OK, that's true.

No it is not.  Block solutions are random.  The fact that someone just found a block has no bearing on how long it will take to find the next block.

The dice don't remember what the previous roll was. (And neither do the hashing functions).
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:39:03 PM

OK, that's true.

No it is not.  Block solutions are random.  The fact that someone just found a block has no bearing on how long it will take to find the next block.

The dice don't remember what the previous roll was. (And neither do the hashing functions).
Funny, if a Bitcoin developer worded the sentence in the same way you wouldn't have said that. This is why I secured my post by saying on average. It all depends on variance.

But the code in Bitcoin has been made so that blocks are found on average every 10 minutes.

mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:43:29 PM

I meant that it would take one confirmation longer, which on average is ten minutes. The calculations have to restart when a new block is found.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:52:00 PM

Funny, if a Bitcoin developer worded the sentence in the same way you wouldn't have said that.

I'm not sure what you mean by that?

This is why I secured my post by saying on average. It all depends on variance.

But the code in Bitcoin has been made so that blocks are found on average every 10 minutes.

Yes, in the same way that you'll roll a 1 on a six sided die every 6 rolls on average.  But the point is, if you roll your own die and get a 1, it has no bearing on whether or not my next roll will be a 1.  The fact that you "solved" a block before me, does not delay my ability to solve a block (ok, perhaps I'm delayed by a fraction of a second while I build a new block header, but it isn't enough of a delay to really matter as far as this discussion goes).
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:54:15 PM

Funny, if a Bitcoin developer worded the sentence in the same way you wouldn't have said that.

I'm not sure what you mean by that?

This is why I secured my post by saying on average. It all depends on variance.

Yes, in the same way that you'll roll a 1 on a six sided die every 6 rolls on average.  But the point is, if you roll your own die and get a 1, it has no bearing on whether or not my next roll will be a 1.  The fact that you "solved" a block before me, does not delay my ability to solve a block (ok, perhaps I'm delayed by a fraction of a second while I build a new block header, but it isn't enough of a delay to really matter as far as this discussion goes).
I have not said anything about delays. Mining is random, yes.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:56:04 PM

I meant that it would take one confirmation longer, which on average is ten minutes. The calculations have to restart when a new block is found.

The calculations restart every time a miner calculates a hash that doesn't solve a block.  That means that the calculations are already restarting more than 100,000,000,000,000 times every second.

Think about the dice, and (assuming that you understand that when you roll a 1 on a die it has no bearing on how many more rolls until I roll a 1 on my die) you'll realize that the empty block is not delaying anyone else's blocks significantly.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:57:37 PM

- snip -
I have not said anything about delays.
- snip -

- snip -
then a user must wait an additional 10 minutes for his TX to confirm.

How is "an additional 10 minutes" not considered a "delay"?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: