Bitcoin Forum
November 21, 2017, 11:54:03 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Some questions about Bitcoin wallets  (Read 558 times)
Commie

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 06:36:45 PM

Your comment are very useful for me, I now using the blockchain for the web and mobile wallet, but now cannot  
holding the private key with myself, do you know how can I find my key?

I guess private keys and recovery seed are the same important having bitcoin wallets, they will give you a recovery option once you have atleast one of that two I mentioned. Having the recovery seed is the same with having private keys, I am right? Can anybody answer this question of mine.

It's a bit more complicated. Say, I use a multicurrency wallet like Jaxx and a Electrum btc wallet. I can export btc keys from Jaxx and import them later into Electrum, yes, I also can back up the whole wallet with seed. But I can't import my private BTC keys from Electrum into this seed, it won't allow me.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ●    UTRUST // The FUTURE of Online Payments    ●  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬        whitepaper     facebook     twitter     slack         ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Main-ICO | Coming soon...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now A blockchain platform for effective freelancing
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg

Activity: 826

1JRmjyGo3kpdXcQeAeTBmGtgkC1AomHKED

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 07:43:58 PM

I guess private keys and recovery seed are the same important having bitcoin wallets, they will give you a recovery option once you have atleast one of that two I mentioned. Having the recovery seed is the same with having private keys, I am right? Can anybody answer this question of mine.

It's a bit more complicated. Say, I use a multicurrency wallet like Jaxx and a Electrum btc wallet. I can export btc keys from Jaxx and import them later into Electrum, yes, I also can back up the whole wallet with seed. But I can't import my private BTC keys from Electrum into this seed, it won't allow me.
Having the recovery seed is better than having private keys.
You CANNOT import private keys into a HD wallet, it's just not possible for it to be useable or storable and would require another wallet that is non deterministic.

When importing a private key, it's a good idea to sweep the key so you don't have to keep that key stored somewhere for you to get it after. Sweeping does cost you in fees though.

Commie

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:00:38 PM

Having the recovery seed is better than having private keys.
You CANNOT import private keys into a HD wallet, it's just not possible for it to be useable or storable and would require another wallet that is non deterministic.

When importing a private key, it's a good idea to sweep the key so you don't have to keep that key stored somewhere for you to get it after. Sweeping does cost you in fees though.

Could you please elaborate on why seed is better than a private key in case of a single currency wallet? I don't really see any difference.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ●    UTRUST // The FUTURE of Online Payments    ●  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬        whitepaper     facebook     twitter     slack         ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Main-ICO | Coming soon...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.