Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:47:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lawyers accepting bitcoin for services  (Read 4048 times)
PeterKh (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

ICO legal advisor and blockchain enthusiast

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2017, 01:26:03 PM

Nebraska Ethics Board Gives Lawyers OK to Accept Bitcoin

https://www.coindesk.com/courting-bitcoin-nebraska-ethics-board-gives-lawyers-ok-accept/

Anyone has experience with lawyers from other jurisdictions accepting BTC?

https://incremint.io/ - an escrow solution for ICOs - now offering the Token for Credible ICO Discounts
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AttorneyBitcoin

Activity: 167
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 06:37:36 AM

I'm an attorney in Nevada and there is not prohibition here regarding accepting BTC for services. There are of course ethical rules regarding any considerations received for services. I gladly accept BTC. 
PeterKh (OP)

Activity: 107

ICO legal advisor and blockchain enthusiast

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2017, 03:33:27 PM

I'm an attorney in Nevada and there is not prohibition here regarding accepting BTC for services. There are of course ethical rules regarding any considerations received for services. I gladly accept BTC. 

Thanks for the reply. Do you provide multisignature escrow services?

https://incremint.io/ - an escrow solution for ICOs - now offering the Token for Credible ICO Discounts
secattorney

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2017, 01:20:31 AM

I am an attorney and accept all forms of cryptocurrency. Often take token as partial consideration for ICO work even. No prohibition in Illinois, California and NY
SUDARMONO

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:51:15 AM

in my place there is no prohibition to use bitcoin even though my place is not legal yet, and I think someday there will be rules and legalize bitcoin in my place, like japan america union and other country which legalize bitcoin.
Granxis

Activity: 1400
Merit: 536

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:23:56 PM

It is a positive situation spreading to lawyers, it has to spread to every profession group, the most important thing is to spread in taxis and cafes. we do our work on the internet but it is very difficult in everyday life.

.Duelbits.
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
..DICE...
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
.MINES.
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
█████                ██████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
.PLINKO.
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
NEARLY UP TO
.50%. REWARDS
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
affigne

Activity: 235
Merit: 103

Writting/Translations EN-ES available HERE!

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 12:33:17 AM

I'm a lawyer from Venezuela, and of course I accept bitcoin and some altcoins as payment method. As the general tradition says: "That which is not forbidden, is permitted"

Writing/Translations Available!!!
treihon

Activity: 53

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 08:18:24 PM

So far I have only used bitcoin to purchase items on the internet but I know of other services that accept bit coin as payment. So knowing that some layers already accept is very good reason to spread to many other services.
Anfisman

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 04:56:05 AM

https://www.coindesk.com/courting-bitcoin-nebraska-ethics-board-gives-lawyers-ok-accept/

This is interesting news. If Nebraska Ethics Board Gives Lawyers Accept Bitcoin as a payment in providing Juristic services, this can be a means of introducing bitcoin to people. Because lawyers is one of the most desirable professions in society so when bitcoin has been introduced through in this way, I'm sure it will have a good impact on the development of bitcoin today.
Lancusters

Activity: 630
Merit: 263

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 11:44:52 AM

Please tell me how long have you accept payment in bitcoins and how much for all the time you had customers willing to pay in bitcoins? At least BTC is not illegal but I am sure that you have very few willing to pay bitcoins. Everyone is trying to keep their bitcoins, and so I try to pay in Fiat.
secattorney

Activity: 65

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2017, 03:39:20 PM

Another angle to consider; It is common with my IPO/public company clients to accept shares of stock in lieu of cash (fairly common in the industry). There is plenty of support for accepting stock, but there are some conflict of interest matters that can arise and as an attorney you have to consider

Now, with my ICO clients, I do accept the token being sold in lieu of cash. I assume the same conflict rules apply, but the question (for me at least) comes back to whether the token sale is a securities offering or not.
AultCoin

Activity: 1

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 06:47:58 AM

The key point to the article here is this blurb...

"Citing a requirement that no client may be charged too high a fee, the committee said that, while a lawyer may accept a cryptocurrency, it must immediately be converted to U.S. dollars."

I understand their reasons for doing this. But since the cryptocurrency must be converted to USD immediately, they're not really paying you with bitcoin... they're paying you using bitcoin. The end result is that you'll have USD in hand. Which, in effect, is pretty much the same thing as someone giving you a money order, and then cashing it. They may hand you a money order, but you need to convert it either to cash, or digits in your bank account in order for it to be useful to you.

So the way I see it is that they basically said "One bitcoin is the same thing as a $4,236.92 money order". Cheque, money order, cash voucher, or bitcoin... the result is all the same. It must undergo a conversion process to become USD in order to be complete.

I'm not saying this isn't a good breakthrough for crypto. I'm just saying that it only marginally validates the use of such currencies in the context of legal services.
crypto.lawyer.187

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 05:03:59 AM

we in this
jdarren

Activity: 296
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 02:29:36 AM

Anyone can accept bitcoin. I just depends on how you cash out. I've seen coffee shops, convenience stores, and service-based businesses all accept bitcoin and even ETH.
Falgorn

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 05:08:48 AM

Of course, if the country does not explicitly set a ban on operations with crypto currency, then it is perfectly permissible to take lawyers for its services in bitcoins. Moreover, lawyers for paying taxes show the total amount of profit and it does not matter in what currency it came.
Emmami@758

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 10:14:05 AM

yeah off course, not only lawyers all   field of the people may accepting this. bit coins has more demand present days so who can leaving this kind of good opportunity. especially lawyers they know all kind of rules and regulations.so they can accepting bit coins. who can doing their business legally they can accepting truly. but who can doing illegal business that kind of people hide their savings. so in my point of view good layers may accept this bit coins.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 10:22:17 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/73wlsg/the_moment_my_divorce_lawyer_saw_that_i_had/

That was one of the biggest r/Bitcoin threads recently.

I don't really get why an ethics board needs to give approval. There are no ethics involved. It's worth something so they can accept it and keep it or sell it.
warrior333

Activity: 406
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 04:23:26 PM

It seems to me that the acceptance of bitcoins for payment lawyers it does not concern ethics. It's not even about payment. How many people now can afford to pay for legal services with bitcoin? Perhaps it is a PR campaign. Lawyers thus get free publicity and attract public attention to the problems of the cryptocurrency.
Qartersa

Activity: 868
Merit: 535

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 05:04:25 PM

I have read a lot about lawyers or legal counsels who accept Bitcoins as a form of payment for their legal services or as a token of appreciation for the services rendered. I see nothing wrong with it as long as there is nothing in their respective laws that prevents such kind of payment. I think these transactions are in a sense a contract between two or more parties whereby both parties agree as to the kind of payment scheme. This being the case, the law cannot just step in and disturb the agreement between parties absent anything in the contract that would make it nugatory, ineffective, unenforceable, or illegal.   
kkent

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 05:41:55 PM

Virginia allows attorneys to accept Bitcoin in exchange for services. There just isn't as much of a market here for people looking to spend BTC instead of USD. Legal bills also will often end up much higher than people want to spend their bitcoins for, even at today's prices. For example, a simple drunk in public could run you $2k in Northern Virginia, and someone who is anticipating BTC to rise well above its current value might not want to part with .5 BTC right now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: