Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:15:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will buying AMD RX card(s) provide a ROI ...  (Read 479 times)
zzert1234 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 11:33:55 PM

I.e can Ethereum mining be profitable for the next 12 months or are any of the other coins gonna need mining that is doable by cards,  for at least 12 months ..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 11:48:58 PM

I highly doubt it. With the difficulty bombs continuing to drive Ethereum difficulties ever higher, and with continued network hash rate coming online daily, it will not be too long before those with higher power costs barely break even much less worry about ROI on any recent hardware purchases. Even if you switch to a more profitable coin it will not be long before others do the same and drive that coins mining profitability into the ground as well.

Rinse and repeat this a few iterations through all the somewhat profitable-to-mine coins and soon GPU mining will soon be a thing of the past. Don't count on Ethereum's future update to come to the rescue either, although it does reduce difficulty the block reward will also go down from 5 to 3 ETH making mining profits about the same and even a bit lower than they are currently.

Soon only those with sub $0.05 power cost will even be able to turn a few pennies profit. I predict a lot of used GPUs on sale for this coming Christmas, which should also pressure the prices of new GPUs to come down as well. Gamer's will finally be happy again!
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 01:02:48 AM

I highly doubt it. With the difficulty bombs continuing to drive Ethereum difficulties ever higher, and with continued network hash rate coming online daily, it will not be too long before those with higher power costs barely break even much less worry about ROI on any recent hardware purchases. Even if you switch to a more profitable coin it will not be long before others do the same and drive that coins mining profitability into the ground as well.

Rinse and repeat this a few iterations through all the somewhat profitable-to-mine coins and soon GPU mining will soon be a thing of the past. Don't count on Ethereum's future update to come to the rescue either, although it does reduce difficulty the block reward will also go down from 5 to 3 ETH making mining profits about the same and even a bit lower than they are currently.

Soon only those with sub $0.05 power cost will even be able to turn a few pennies profit. I predict a lot of used GPUs on sale for this coming Christmas, which should also pressure the prices of new GPUs to come down as well. Gamer's will finally be happy again!
that 5 to 3 block reward is freaking lame ,  ill mine etc
Phantoms001

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 02:45:11 AM

All the cards I'm adding are used cards at a steep discount off of Craigslist that I plan on just running into the ground.  The prices around here new are still really inflated. 
RayBarK

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 07:46:26 AM

Not in a long time, on normal ethereum at least, considering the least expensive 4GB RX card is the 560, which is $150 dollars, it would take almost 5 months to regain your money.
Maybe you'd be better suited with Monero or another newer coin with potential, maybe ETC? Only big rigs with cheap electricity can generate a fair amount of income nowadays.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: