Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:12:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dorijan Grey is a scammer.  (Read 902 times)
hiddenoreo (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:00:42 PM

He PM'd me wanting to trade £85 from bank transfer to BTC.

I sent him the £85, and he just ignores me now.

Im currently on the phone trying to reverse the payment, if that cant be done, im seeking legal action.

Profile:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=105048

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:35:37 PM

Why did you trade with someone with no reputation?
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:51:11 PM

If you leave the keys on your car when you just walk to the postbox around the corner, and your car gets stolen, you will meet with two kinds of reaction. The first will blame you for leaving the keys on. The second will feel for you, try and help you find your stolen car. Very different reasonings, both are intellectually sustainable, but unless you are stupid and cannot learn from your mistakes for yourself, the former are basically useless (in short: FY), while the latter may help... just my 0.00000002 of course.

THAT SAID, I would say that legal action would be overkill for such a "low" amount (not implying £85 are peanuts, but probably way below the costs of legal action especially if the scammer is not a resident of the same country)
San1ty

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:55:43 PM

I think I already read a post of you using Satoshi dice or getting scammed, I don't exactly recall.
Anyway you seem to believe everything everyone says, this environment is dangerous for you...

Found my posts helpful? Consider buying me a beer :-)!:
BTC - 1San1tyUGhfWRNPYBF4b6Vaurq5SjFYWk NXT - 17063113680221230777
matt4054
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:57:25 PM

I think I already read a post of you using Satoshi dice or getting scammed, I don't exactly recall.
Anyway you seem to believe everything everyone says, this environment is dangerous for you...

True, "assume good faith" is for Wikipedia. Doesn't apply here, sadly. Be careful. Assume bad faith when trading with someone without reputation. Read all his or her posts, for instance that Dorijan Grey definitely looks scammish just by reading his posts.

If the OP was already scammed multiple times, maybe my "unless" clause applies, and TradeFortress' comment was appropriate...
hiddenoreo (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:04:36 PM

If you leave the keys on your car when you just walk to the postbox around the corner, and your car gets stolen, you will meet with two kinds of reaction. The first will blame you for leaving the keys on. The second will feel for you, try and help you find your stolen car. Very different reasonings, both are intellectually sustainable, but unless you are stupid and cannot learn from your mistakes for yourself, the former are basically useless (in short: FY), while the latter may help... just my 0.00000002 of course.

THAT SAID, I would say that legal action would be overkill for such a "low" amount (not implying £85 are peanuts, but probably way below the costs of legal action especially if the scammer is not a resident of the same country)
Ugh I was in such a rush, I needed to buy 1btc.

Legal fees wont be that expensive, assuming he is from the same country.
I sent the money to a UK bank account, that can be traced to his real identity, along with where the money was sent or where it was.
Legal fees = Small claims court, small ammount.

I got off phone with bank, they said they cannot reverse it, but they said the met fraud department (police) can help me. Tommorow im going to ring them, and sort this out.

Either way Im getting my money back and this kid goes to jail for fraud.

hiddenoreo (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:05:34 PM

True, "assume good faith" is for Wikipedia. Doesn't apply here, sadly. Be careful. Assume bad faith when trading with someone without reputation. Read all his or her posts, for instance that Dorijan Grey definitely looks scammish just by reading his posts.

If the OP was already scammed multiple times, maybe my "unless" clause applies, and TradeFortress' comment was appropriate...
This is my first time being scammed.

matt4054
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:09:53 PM

This is my first time being scammed.

And probably the last, wasn't it? Wink

Legal fees wont be that expensive, assuming he is from the same country.
I sent the money to a UK bank account, that can be traced to his real identity, along with where the money was sent or where it was.
Legal fees = Small claims court, small ammount.

I got off phone with bank, they said they cannot reverse it, but they said the met fraud department (police) can help me. Tommorow im going to ring them, and sort this out.

Either way Im getting my money back and this kid goes to jail for fraud.

Good luck with that (not ironic). Would be interested by your follow-up, just curious how the UK legal system can deal with these scams.
San1ty

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:12:08 PM

I'll tell you what'll happen... He doesn't have ANY ground to stand on.
£85 Seriously? Leave it that and look at it as a learning fee. Be happy it's this cheap...

hiddenoreo (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:45:35 PM

I'll tell you what'll happen... He doesn't have ANY ground to stand on.
£85 Seriously? Leave it that and look at it as a learning fee. Be happy it's this cheap...
If its not that much would you be able to pay me this? Thats what I thought!

What no good ground to stand on?

If the courts request private information from this forum, this forum will have to give that information.
That includes IP logs.

San1ty

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:52:24 PM

Even if it gets to court (and that's a big if). This forum will not have to comply...
Even if this forum complies, you only have an IP...
Even if you have the IP, the other guy could have used proxy upon proxy upon proxy
Even if you find out the original IP (another BIG IF), There is a high chance the other person is out of UK jurisdiction...

And also, didn't you do a wire transfer? Meaning you have this guys bank details.
If you have those, you could find out what bank he's at. (Or didn't you think of that yet?)

And then you are assuming this is all worth £85?

Of course I won't give you £85, I am no charity.
If $85 is such a big deal for you, it's probably best if you don't deal with BTC at all.

Apologies for being a bit harsh, but I'm trying to protect you from yourself...

hiddenoreo (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:04:18 PM

Even if it gets to court (and that's a big if). This forum will not have to comply...
Even if this forum complies, you only have an IP...
Even if you have the IP, the other guy could have used proxy upon proxy upon proxy
Even if you find out the original IP (another BIG IF), There is a high chance the other person is out of UK jurisdiction...

And also, didn't you do a wire transfer? Meaning you have this guys bank details.
If you have those, you could find out what bank he's at. (Or didn't you think of that yet?)

And then you are assuming this is all worth £85?

If $85 is such a big deal for you, it's probably best if you don't deal with BTC at all.

Apologies for being a bit harsh, but I'm trying to protect you from yourself...
That information has been thought of, and will be passed onto the police.

Iv dealt with BTC when it was worth around $250 each, I brought and I sold, with many trusted people, Its ashame my hope in trusting a new member went wrong.

But yh, it is worth £85.

matt4054
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:09:59 PM

For the sake of precision, £85 = US $128.30

I wouldn't call him a fool for trying to recover that amount. I would just not do it myself, because I think the effort for recovering the funds outweighs the amount itself. It's up to personal judgment of the one being scammed, but it would be interesting to hear about how feasible it is. After all, the whole community will benefit from (supposedly) less scammers, if they are more at risk to be pursued.
hiddenoreo (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:12:39 PM

How would I go about getting the email address he used on the forum?

matt4054
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:28:32 PM

I would try PMing theymos, the admin of this forum.
RedRobin2442

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:15:39 PM

The forum has a policy about releasing personal information. Pretty much, you need to be a form of law enforcement, but a warrant is not required as history as showed.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: