Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:58:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Local interfacing with the bc-qt json rpc api  (Read 781 times)
orz.dk (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 05:47:38 PM

Hi

A couple of  questions... I'm looking for suggestions or opinions on the "best" approach to connect to the bitcoin-qt json rpc api, get some data, and present it in some way in a windows client. Most important is that it should be a *local* solution, connecting to the client (api) outside any web/internet context, preferably in a desktop'ish app.

I have considered:

- Java application. Language is ok as such, but not too keen on the java environment : (

- .NET application. Maybe something. Would be easy to present trxs in grids, and prob graphs too

- python. Never coded a line. Would it fit this need?

- qt. Is based on c++. No time to learn right now.

- Any other suggestions ?

Second question: Can anyone recomment any existing solutions (advanced client frontend with json call capabilities) ?

Thanx
orz.dk
--
Please visit my BTC address balance monitor and currency converter @ orz.dk:8130

lexxus

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:30:41 PM

The answer is extremely simple: use the tool you know the best. All languages in you mentioned will do the job.
Don't choose the languages you don't know unless you really want to learn it during your project.

But if you want some advice:

If good desktop UI is critical - choose Java or .NET
If crossplatform is critical - choose Java over .NET
If you are Windows guy and want smooth Windows UI - choose .NET over Java

PS: "but not too keen on the java environment", c'mon just try Intellij Idea and Visual Studio will look like a notepad afterwards
orz.dk (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 06:58:11 PM

I think you are completely right that it's best to just go with known technology. I have almost exclusively worked with web and javascript lately and i'm a bit rusty in client application technology but decided to go with .NET for now. The free VS Express Desktop Edition should be able to do the job, and i've done a fair amount of business webapps in c# before, that should work : ).

With regards to Java, i should probably have used the term infrastructure rather than environment, it's not that i dislike Eclipse IDE as such, and the others IDEs you mention are probably even better. I have built a few Android SDK apps, and it was fun, it just doesn't appeal to me as a desktop application infrastructure, i'm not completely sure why.

An additional question, does anyone know if Mutibit/Armory/Electrum has rpc capabilities similar to the classic qt client ?

Thanx !
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:37:31 PM

java has really shitty UI. does not match up with system style at all.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
lexxus

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:46:23 PM

java has really shitty UI. does not match up with system style at all.

Really? You should warn about this Eclipse devlopers (which uses SWT library), to these guys http://www.jidesoft.com/ and many other companies that build rich UI in Java.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:58:19 PM

Really? You should warn about this Eclipse devlopers (which uses SWT library), to these guys http://www.jidesoft.com/ and many other companies that build rich UI in Java.
I was referencing java's swing toolkit, which is by far the most popular.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: