Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:32:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official CaVirtex.com Thread  (Read 103291 times)
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:12:41 AM

I cant believe that you guys are still using and trusting an exchange where everyone who works for the exchange uses fake names!

One day this will cost them their spot on top of Canada's bitcoin game.

Care to explain what you mean by that?

I mean each and every rep for the company uses an alias. Do you really believe that the names they use are legit?

Also, you cant find any info on Joseph David. No FB, Twitter, ect. It is only an alias, also the address they use is not a real office.. its a POBox. The "call center" they have is actually just some people who work from home probably in their underwear.

I doubt Virtex will be top spot in 2 years from now. I have heard rumors about a new Canadian exchange backed my Canadian entrepreneurs who already have real world experience in the finance space and they are looking to drop a lot of money to build a trustworthy Canadian exchange.

That's just my $0.02

I doubt FINTRAC would let them register as an MSB without identity proof, and their address seems more than just a PO Box:

http://www10.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/msb-esm/public/msbregistry/searchByName/clf-eng.html#msbInformation/msbDetails/135613

Not too sure about that, a quick Google search of that address comes up to a UPS Store, so it could easily be a PO box, or it could be in the same complex.  Looks to just be a regular strip mall though.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
IamCANADIAN013

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:22:51 AM

Not too sure about that, a quick Google search of that address comes up to a UPS Store, so it could easily be a PO box.

I have a UPS Store 'suite' address too.
Nothing wrong with that, but for a business holding onto significant amounts of my cash/coins, it would be nice to see that its not just Mark Karpeles' twin brother in his mom's basement somewhere, checking the  mailbox every other week  Tongue

Agreed.  I'm trying to zoom in with Google maps to see if they actually have an office in the strip mall, cant see anything yet, but it look like there is a 2nd floor in part of the mall that could contain a few offices.  Then again, who knows how old the image is.

Hey, anyone here live in Calgary that could do a drive by? LOL!

I agree though, a store front does cost money. Are the high fee's a good thing overall though?  Does it go straight into their pockets or does it strengthen the exchange down the road?
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:32:41 AM

I agree though, a store front does cost money. Are the high fee's a good thing overall though?  Does it go straight into their pockets or does it strengthen the exchange down the road?

Tough call. lower fees would increase volume substantially I think, but that requires better infrastructure which costs more money. higher fees give more cashflow per volume, but limits trading volume. Canada is a pretty small market. maybe there isn't sufficient volume available to make lowering fees profitable.  Personally, other than catching  crash here and there, I only use Virtex to buy, and occasionally to sell, but not to do much 'trading'. its just too hard to get the spread with the low volume. catch 22 maybe, I dunno.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:18:49 AM

Trust me, the address is a POBox and customer service calls are answered by people working from home! Joseph David may be a real name but something is missing there. Maybe he owns the company to all of us but someone else's name could be on the company registrar.

Lets do a quick test.

I'm sure most of you have spoken to employees there via phone and email.

Think hard and post the first and last name of who you spoke with.

I know what I'm taking about. And if Joseph David is a real name I'd bet its because he changed his name legally as to have no trace to who he really was before bitcoin.

Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:20:40 AM

Also, Just so you know, in Quebec you don't need ID to open a company. You would for the bank accounts but ID can be faked.

I don't know if its the same for Alberta.
_mr_e
Legendary

Activity: 817

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:21:30 AM

Trust me, the address is a POBox and customer service calls are answered by people working from home! Joseph David may be a real name but something is missing there. Maybe he owns the company to all of us but someone else's name could be on the company registrar.

Lets do a quick test.

I know what I'm taking about. And if Joseph David is a real name I'd bet its because he changed his name legally as to have no trace to who he really was before bitcoin.

Well I've met most of them in person and you could do the same if you attend the Toronto bitcoin expo. This is silly.
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 03:22:20 AM

Lets do a quick test.

Yes, I spoke to someone on the phone last month and they said the boss makes them use fake names to protect their identities.  

I moved to Vault of Satoshi because of the trade fees.  1.5% completely unacceptable when comparing against all the big exchanges.  Even second tier exchanges do between 0.5 and 1% now a days.

I hope they keep up the work they are doing though because they are pushing BTC to new levels related to banking and regulation in Canada which is nice to see.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:26:18 AM

Lets do a quick test.

Yes, I spoke to someone on the phone last month and they said the boss makes them use fake names to protect their identities.  

I moved to Vault of Satoshi because of the trade fees.  1.5% completely unacceptable when comparing against all the big exchanges.  Even second tier exchanges do between 0.5 and 1% now a days.

I hope they keep up the work they are doing though because they are pushing BTC to new levels related to banking and regulation in Canada which is nice to see.

But imagine how bad it could be for us if Joseph David pulls a Mark Karples or worse, takes off with the btc all together. I'm not saying he would but its a possibility. He does not have a good presence here in the community and he is not transparent. He even tells his workers to use fake names. That's lame. When the bank calls you they use real names if its from the bank (not talking call center in india).

Scamers and people who have things to hide use fake names? No

Who uses a fake name for good reason?
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:28:28 AM

I'll let you all in on a little secret. In 2 years or less virtex will be the vault of satoshi to the new player whos going to hit this market.

This is a fact.
_mr_e
Legendary

Activity: 817

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:03:54 PM

Lets do a quick test.

But imagine how bad it could be for us if Joseph David pulls a Mark Karples or worse, takes off with the btc all together. I'm not saying he would but its a possibility. He does not have a good presence here in the community and he is not transparent. He even tells his workers to use fake names. That's lame. When the bank calls you they use real names if its from the bank (not talking call center in india).

I know for a fact Joseph has has TONS of attacks on his identity since starting virtex. I'm sure this has something to do with it. I'd imagine exchange operators are at huge risk for coercion as well.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:16:24 PM

Lets do a quick test.

I know for a fact Joseph has has TONS of attacks on his identity since starting virtex. I'm sure this has something to do with it. I'd imagine exchange operators are at huge risk for coercion as well.

Well then maybe this is not the job for him! If he cant handle the heat then stay out of the kitchen. each and every user of virtex should know whos running the show. A real name is only the first part.

This is a mute point anyway as in 2 years or less virtex will lose 80-90% of its volume.

I just think people have the right to know who they may be dealing with.
cavirtex (OP)

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

CAVIRTEX | Canadian Virtual Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 02:52:12 PM

VirtEx is a company that is all about the new economy made possible through the Internet. As such, VirtEx does not lease expensive office space in a downtown office tower.

VirtEx operates a virtual office, so yes, people work from home in different cities across the country - Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver. Not only is it less expensive and more productive, having employees located across the country allows VirtEx to take advantage of different time zones so we can better serve our customers and business partners.

The use of aliases by frontline customer service agents is utilized as a security measure to protect both VirtEx employees and customers. As is abundantly clear by recent news events, there are a lot of unsavory characters lurking in the Bitcoin space.

By the way, it should be noted, the use of aliases by frontline customer service agents comes as no surprise to successful, long established clients and business partners.

It should also be noted that we are a licensed Money Service Business by FINTRAC. Getting this license required extensive due diligence and ongoing transparency.

I encourage anyone who has questions about VirtEx and wants to meet members of the team to attend the Bitcoin Expo in Toronto from April 11-13: http://bitcoinexpo.ca/v2/

Maybe we'll see you there, Bobsurplus. By the way, perhaps you could provide us with your real name, so we know who to look out for.

Reed Holmes
Business Development Manager

CAVIRTEX is Canada's #1 Bitcoin exchange with over 90 million CAD traded in our 3 years of operations. Visit https://www.cavirtex.com.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:14:47 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 08:25:27 PM by Bobsurplus

VirtEx is a company that is all about the new economy made possible through the Internet. As such, VirtEx does not lease expensive office space in a downtown office tower. No one ever said you need to be in a penthouse in the sky, but an actual physical address is needed in my eyes to build the trust that you will need going forward in this space

VirtEx operates a virtual office, so yes, people work from home in different cities across the country - Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver. Not only is it less expensive and more productive, having employees located across the country allows VirtEx to take advantage of different time zones so we can better serve our customers and business partners.

Very professional, have people calling into a "call centre" to speak with representatives regarding personal and private info. As I know from experience dealing with you guys, I have been asked for my name, and number to be contacted on, where did the rep put this info? Maybe a post-it or a pad of paper next to her. Where does that info end up? in the trash, in the slicer and dicer, who knows? What about the possibility of unsavoury friends of the reps who work from home. I'm sure your reps have friends over as we all do. Do their friends see my personal info, Can they hack my info from your reps computer, can then overhear personal conversations?? I believe the answer to this is yes!

having people work from home is ghetto and leaves you with multiple weak links in your system.

The use of aliases by frontline customer service agents is utilized as a security measure to protect both VirtEx employees and customers. As is abundantly clear by recent news events, there are a lot of unsavory characters lurking in the Bitcoin space.

The only unsavoury character here is you and Joseph. How can you use the title "business development manager" and use a fake name?? Aliases are used by people in the call centre world who are either hiding something, scaming or have a job that a chimp can do. A person who talks to clients about accounts not only containing BTC and fiat but also all the bank info regarding that client should use their real name. If someone calls you from TD bank and you can bet all your money they will give you their real name. You are running a MSB as you claim so give us your real names.

By the way, it should be noted, the use of aliases by frontline customer service agents comes as no surprise to successful, long established clients and business partners. Not true, call TD bank, CIBC bank, call an insurance company, or a mortgage company, see how many of them lie to you about their name.

It should also be noted that we are a licensed Money Service Business by FINTRAC. Getting this license required extensive due diligence and ongoing transparency. Then we should get the same transparency regarding who runs and works for virtex

I encourage anyone who has questions about VirtEx and wants to meet members of the team to attend the Bitcoin Expo in Toronto from April 11-13: http://bitcoinexpo.ca/v2/

Maybe we'll see you there, Bobsurplus. By the way, perhaps you could provide us with your real name, so we know who to look out for.  If I was out in the open running a bitcoin business then I would divulge my name, I'm not and have no need to but i will be in Toronto this April at the show!

Reed Holmes
Business Development Manager

EDIT: 3:21 PM

I want you guys to know that although I think you guys are missing the ball on some things I do agree that the service you provide is a good one. I have been using you guys for the last year or so and have nothing but good results The only reason I bring up these worries/issues I have is due to the whole MtGox fiasco. I feel like transparency is number one and so is customer privacy.

Do you know how much your database is worth to criminals? A whole lot and having people work from home is not putting the clients first on the security front.

Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:13:19 PM

Seems pretty quiet in here! I think I may hear something.... Nope. Just silence.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:30:35 PM

I have been a customer of Virtex since the fall of 2011, and I must say that the service has been excellent. If there is one thing I would suggest in order to be a truly Canadian exchange is service in French. On another note is Virtex the oldest Bitcoin exchange worldwide that is still alive now that MTGox is dead?

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 12:48:50 AM

I have been a customer of Virtex since the fall of 2011, and I must say that the service has been excellent. If there is one thing I would suggest in order to be a truly Canadian exchange is service in French. On another note is Virtex the oldest Bitcoin exchange worldwide that is still alive now that MTGox is dead?
this an interesting question. I will try to find the answer today.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:16:33 AM

Cavirtex, are you serious having staffs working at home? Do you know what security measures required for a financial service business?

wow

I feel bad for all canadian members here.

IamCANADIAN013

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:37:38 AM

Cavirtex, are you serious having staffs working at home? Do you know what security measures required for a financial service business?

wow

I'm willing to bet it works that way with a lot of the exchanges. As long as proper security measures are taken, I don't really have a problem with it. 
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:49:58 AM

wow

I'm willing to bet it works that way with a lot of the exchanges. As long as proper security measures are taken, I don't really have a problem with it. 

You would surely lose that bet I believe.
cavirtex (OP)

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

CAVIRTEX | Canadian Virtual Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 04:17:15 PM

this an interesting question. I will try to find the answer today.

Any luck on finding the answer to this, medicine?

VirtEx launched on on June 8, 2011.

CAVIRTEX is Canada's #1 Bitcoin exchange with over 90 million CAD traded in our 3 years of operations. Visit https://www.cavirtex.com.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: