Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:46:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU RIG FRAME  (Read 2554 times)
crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 02:35:32 PM

I use $8 36" x 11" shelves from Home Depot along with 5x 3/4" square dowels that run about $3 a pop.  36" provides nice spacing between GPUs and allows moving the rigs to cold spots in the house during winter.  In my case since I use 240V only PSU's, I had to install 240V outlets at each miner location, which can be a pain.

In the summer time, they all live on metal shelving like this, and the wooden frame miners will also slip into those shelves without issue.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
umine

Activity: 405
Merit: 136

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:09:29 PM

I urgently recommend NOT use wood in your rig frame. It's cheaper than aluminium frame about 10-15 dollars but can cause a huge trouble.
Flammable materials are dangerous!

Jarixx

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:18:26 PM

I prefer aluminum over wood, I invest little more, but it's safer option.
Racks are ok, but it's easier to sell smaller rigs.
Man can build anything that he wants, if he wants.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
cryptocoinfarmer

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:37:51 PM

Check it out this link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unassembled-GPU-Mining-Rig-Open-Air-Frame-Case-/222529908628  
You could build something similar. There are measurements that you can use.

I agree with others aluminum or metal constructions are more secure. But there are risks with metal too if you have no temperature, fan failure monitoring devices then you can end up with fire too.
Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:57:30 PM

all you fools using wood for frames is just dumb, you do realize your giving your rig the ability to start a fire if something goes wrong. last time I checked wood makes good fire starter metal does not. and to those that use a full shelf that's not all that smart cause when you have to move said shelf you have to take off all the hardware, unless your going to move it with the hardware on it and take a chance to damage something like an idiot, id swear society is getting more and more stupid with each passing day, sure wood is cheaper than a lot of metal, but it poses risks, if anyone who has seen what happens when things go horribly wrong they know, and likely do not use wood frames. only takes 1 part to malfunction in such a way you lose it all because yall were just too careless to put some actual thought into the crafting of your frames, ya can blame no one but yourself

Tell that to retard that made metal frame that got himself killed, because unlike wood, metal actually conducts electricity
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 09:34:18 PM

I use an old 4U rackmount server case for my 6gpu and a milk crate for my 4gpu. Milk crate is way more heat efficient, I may rebuild the rackmount one into a larger milk crate...

Plus the smaller one is almost portable. It's running ethos and if I can get the wifi working, it can be a mobile "space heater".
bouldou

Activity: 403
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 10:39:02 PM

I followed this tutorial, with wood, and everything went fine in my attic this summer Smiley

http://highoncoins.com/litecoin-rig/how-to-make-diy-wooden-frame-for-litecoindogecoin-rig/

Aluminium would be better, yes, but it's fun to build your own wood rig Smiley

Vous voulez une Lambo ? Investissez dans le YENTEN : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2706079.0
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 12:17:58 AM

all you fools using wood for frames is just dumb, you do realize your giving your rig the ability to start a fire if something goes wrong. last time I checked wood makes good fire starter metal does not. and to those that use a full shelf that's not all that smart cause when you have to move said shelf you have to take off all the hardware, unless your going to move it with the hardware on it and take a chance to damage something like an idiot, id swear society is getting more and more stupid with each passing day, sure wood is cheaper than a lot of metal, but it poses risks, if anyone who has seen what happens when things go horribly wrong they know, and likely do not use wood frames. only takes 1 part to malfunction in such a way you lose it all because yall were just too careless to put some actual thought into the crafting of your frames, ya can blame no one but yourself

You sound like you have no clue what you are talking about. If your machines are creating enough heat to set a wood frame on fire then you have already melted your hardware your hardware. Also, pretty sure no one with enough equipment to require a full rack is going to just be moving shit around all the time. The best part is how you complain about society getting more stupid when you are the one saying the stupid shit.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
P00P135

Activity: 1123

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:04:47 AM

Maybe if you are using balsa wood or something weird.  Any good hardwood isn't going to catch fire from normal heat or circumstance.  Pretty sure it has to reach near 300 degrees Celsius to catch fire.
arrki23

Activity: 4
Merit: 4

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:13:31 AM

You sound like you have no clue what you are talking about. If your machines are creating enough heat to set a wood frame on fire then you have already melted your hardware your hardware. Also, pretty sure no one with enough equipment to require a full rack is going to just be moving shit around all the time. The best part is how you complain about society getting more stupid when you are the one saying the stupid shit.

Go back and read what he actually wrote. Especially the part about MALFUNCTION.

The point youre obviously missing is that under normal operation wood is fine BUT if a component fails wood catches fire easily and when that fire has fuel it can burn your house down. A metal frame will not catch fire if a component fails and components by themselves dont have enough material to really burn explosively.

If youre using wood, plastic, cardboard(srs Ive seen a few) or any other easily flammable material to build your frames you are a moron. Its that simple. Electronics fail and when they do you dont want to have them light anything up...

s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2017, 02:42:51 AM

Ikea sells inexpensive freestanding wire frame shelf units. I saw one for $20 USD.
worldofcrypto

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 11:46:11 AM

Wouldn't a metal frame be a lot safer from a fire safety hazard point of view?

I'm always looking for cheap, easy to assemble frames.
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 04:18:23 AM

The point youre obviously missing is that under normal operation wood is fine BUT if a component fails wood catches fire easily and when that fire has fuel it can burn your house down. A metal frame will not catch fire if a component fails and components by themselves dont have enough material to really burn explosively.

If youre using wood, plastic, cardboard(srs Ive seen a few) or any other easily flammable material to build your frames you are a moron. Its that simple. Electronics fail and when they do you dont want to have them light anything up...

Yup. This. The discussion is "can", not "will", and in the can discussion metal will always be fire safer than wood.

Plastic, though? Depends. I have a 6gpu rig in a 4U rack case, but I also have a 4gpu rig in a milk crate. It's stupid thick, hard plastic. Is it flammable? Technically yes, but literally the whole rig would have to catch fire for it to be a concern (and I keep it on some sheet metal in a concrete basement).

Now the sound dampening box for my L3, however, is built from wood. I do plan to eventually line the interior with sheet metal for this exact reason, but I'm also not shutting it off in the meantime because the risk exists, but is rather low...
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2017, 06:19:45 AM

Wouldn't a metal frame be a lot safer from a fire safety hazard point of view?

I'm always looking for cheap, easy to assemble frames.

Yes a metal frame would definitely be a lot safer in terms of fire hazards. You're smart and I doubt i need to explain why.

With regards to pricing, the standard retail price for wood frames are much cheaper. What you can do is to DIY and build your own metal mining rig frame. There are lots of people out there who have used metal or aluminum shelves instead of making a custom mining rig frame. It will depend on what is available at your local hardware. You can always look for online guides out there on how to make mining rig shelf. Good luck.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
mittooss

Activity: 154

DEm1CKDTViM1y9YmEcBaktNLWVx8rwuQUm

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 06:31:35 AM

Best is to build a rig in wood
umine

Activity: 405

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 07:11:27 AM

Everybody chooses that they like. Wood frame could be good enough if it previosly prepared - i.e. saturated of special fire resistant fluid. It cheap and easy to process. But you can't  ground wood frame and it's violation in safety engineering of the using of electrical installation

pbuva

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 07:56:13 AM

I only use wood. If a fire occurs, it will not be hot, but that something else will start to burn and in style. The wood also does not accumulate a static charge, the only metal I threw out because it was unstable, the same hardware in the wood does not fall.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 09:28:05 AM

Everybody chooses that they like. Wood frame could be good enough if it previosly prepared - i.e. saturated of special fire resistant fluid. It cheap and easy to process. But you can't  ground wood frame and it's violation in safety engineering of the using of electrical installation

Nothing prevents you from grounding your rig in wooden frame...its like saying you can't ground concrete
that your metal rig standing on, so its "violation in safety engineering of the using of electrical installation"
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 10:34:12 AM

Tell that to retard that made metal frame that got himself killed, because unlike wood, metal actually conducts electricity

only retard here buddy is yourself and maybe that guy that got killed by electrocution lol, properly set up metal framed rig isn't going to do that, aluminum is a horrible conductor, while it still can, its a horrible conductor, now if steel was used now that lol could pose an issue. you happen to know what kind of material he used? chances are I bet steel was used aluminum with as much dc amps as were using would prolly melt the aluminum, ac same thing, aluminum doesn't handle current very well lol hence why it was used in houses for such a short period of time back in the day:D but hey you go ahead with a wooden frame to each there own lol, rig fires aint no joke, last I checked people have ALOT of them in there HOMES, all your doing is giving it fuel to burn better and hotter. also with the guy that died there is no way to know the whole story, for all you know he was careless and didn't check or do something before touching it or any other number of various reasons why it happened

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Ryuh

Activity: 282
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 10:43:52 AM

I started with wooden frames but "graduated" into using garage shelves like this:

I added some thin, wood back supports (red lines) with holes or screws on the top so that I can quickly "hang" or remove the cards (blue) if needed.

The bottom supports are to keep the cards steady.

Mobo/PSU are on the slabs - you can even make them half slabs or fix them without the slabs for more airflow.

Easy to make, makes it very easy to disassemble/troubleshoot rigs and the airflow is great, you can put them in front of each other so that one big fan can blow through more of them. And you can easily decide how many cards you want to put on a shelf, how much space you want between cards.

I'm doing it this way also, its a pretty easy and cheap option. Does not require a lot of skills to pull it off.
You get more space to use for your rigs. Looks great and when you cable management a bit its even better.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: