Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:07:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worth to upgrade my current setup for mining ethereum  (Read 150 times)
Regolin542 (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 02:46:08 PM

I would like to add more rx 560's to my ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H77-V LE motherboard and will it be worth even adding something to it.
I realized that rx 560 gpu will be the  most profitable for me because I live in poland and the currency here is relatively cheap(1 usd = 3.50 pln) and rx 560 costs 615 pln and has a hashrate of about 17mh/s. So can i add more of these gpu's and come out with a profit of some sorts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 02:53:20 PM

Are there no other graphics cards available locally? Yes, you will be able to mine Ethereum with that GPU but it won't be able to do so efficiently. At about the same amount of power consumption, you could already be hashing at around 23-24 MH with a GTX 1060. GTX 1060s are also more future proof than the RX 560 because it has 6GB memory. If you could buy a 1060 for a few more dollars i'd highly recommend getting them instead.
Regolin542 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 02:59:25 PM

Are there no other graphics cards available locally? Yes, you will be able to mine Ethereum with that GPU but it won't be able to do so efficiently. At about the same amount of power consumption, you could already be hashing at around 23-24 MH with a GTX 1060. GTX 1060s are also more future proof than the RX 560 because it has 6GB memory. If you could buy a 1060 for a few more dollars i'd highly recommend getting them instead.

Unfortunately gtx 1060's are about 300-400 pln more expensive and locally in this price they only have 3gb of memory. I wouldnt like to buy it from ebay or amazon or somewhere else and pay 30pln shipping and wait like 2-3 weeks
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 03:28:32 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2017, 03:42:49 PM by Vann

RX 560's are a good inexpensive low power option for mining ETH. They use about 60 W and if you can get 17 MH/s, that is a very good cost/hash ratio. Increased availability on RX 570/580 from the Vega launch has lowered the demand for lower performance cards like the 560 for mining ETH. I would say you could definitely mine profitably with the 4GB cards before the ETH switch to fully POS sometime next year and can still mine other ETH based clones.
Regolin542 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 04:29:44 PM

RX 560's are a good inexpensive low power option for mining ETH. They use about 60 W and if you can get 17 MH/s, that is a very good cost/hash ratio. Increased availability on RX 570/580 from the Vega launch has lowered the demand for lower performance cards like the 560 for mining ETH. I would say you could definitely mine profitably with the 4GB cards before the ETH switch to fully POS sometime next year and can still mine other ETH based clones.

Whats pos? And will it change a lot of things in ethereum mining?
Vann

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 04:43:13 PM

With POS coins you are staking coins i.e. holding coins in a full node client wallet to accumulate enough stake to mine a block and earn a reward based on the POS annual percentage rate for that coin. Typically with POS you can hold any number of coins and still be eligible to stake. The more coins you have and the longer you have them staking, the quicker you will be able to earn enough stake to mine a block and earn a POS payment. Your client node doesn't need to be online to earn stake, but it must be online to be able to mine a block to earn a reward.

Ethereum will be switching to a hybrid POS/POW system with the Constantinople hard fork expected early next year and it's expected to switch to fully POS in the Metropolis release by the end of next year. That means you won't be able to mine ETH with GPU's after that and instead you will need to hold a number of coins to stake and generate new ETH as interest on the coins you hold.
Maren

Activity: 304
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 05:02:13 PM

With POS coins you are staking coins i.e. holding coins in a full node client wallet to accumulate enough stake to mine a block and earn a reward based on the POS annual percentage rate for that coin. Typically with POS you can hold any number of coins and still be eligible to stake. The more coins you have and the longer you have them staking, the quicker you will be able to earn enough stake to mine a block and earn a POS payment. Your client node doesn't need to be online to earn stake, but it must be online to be able to mine a block to earn a reward.

Ethereum will be switching to a hybrid POS/POW system with the Constantinople hard fork expected early next year and it's expected to switch to fully POS in the Metropolis release by the end of next year. That means you won't be able to mine ETH with GPU's after that and instead you will need to hold a number of coins to stake and generate new ETH as interest on the coins you hold.

Hey, the way I understood it they postponed the hybrid transition for at least another year. So 3+ years until masternode system, you will still be able to mine, just the rewards will get split if they choose Casper. If they don't the alternative is 5 years away.

Listen to Vlad Zamfir talk, he's a super nice guy.

Regolin542 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 05:08:53 PM

Will ethereum classic do that bcs eth and etc have similar value
Vann

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 05:14:58 PM

In a recent Ethereum developer meeting it was discussed preparation for the hybrid POW/POS implementation is at a point where it could be released in the next hard fork, Constantinople, which should be early next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN-AtGgtmtA&feature=youtu.be&t=2297

The final POS implementation is still being researched and the details will certainly change as development progresses, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the move to a hybrid implementation sooner than people think.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: