Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:54:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Profitability calculator - accurate?  (Read 2482 times)
halfawake (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:44:59 PM

One of my friends pointed me to this link: http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/ - and I'm just curious if this profitability calculator is at all close to accurate.  I don't mine, I'm thinking of mining eventually, but a 10 day payback period seems really quick for solo miners.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:47:30 PM

Due to the rapid increase of difficulty (and corresponding decrease of mining returns) any mining rig that does not pay for itself within a relatively short time will not be very profitable at all.

Onkel Paul

halfawake (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:05:06 PM

Due to the rapid increase of difficulty (and corresponding decrease of mining returns) any mining rig that does not pay for itself within a relatively short time will not be very profitable at all.

Onkel Paul

Ah, so while it may pay for itself in 10 days, the amount of bitcoins generated thereafter will diminish rapidly.  That makes sense.

Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:23:05 PM

By the time you get the fast mining rig, the difficulty will be so high that you might not break even. Try this website http://bitclockers.com/miningcalculator and set the mining difficulty to be 35% a month.
halfawake (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:46:07 PM

By the time you get the fast mining rig, the difficulty will be so high that you might not break even. Try this website http://bitclockers.com/miningcalculator and set the mining difficulty to be 35% a month.

35% - wow, I didn't know it was that high.  Sounds like if you're going to bet on the price going up, you're much better off just straight up buying bitcoins off an exchange than mining them yourself.

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:23:39 PM

35% - wow, I didn't know it was that high.  Sounds like if you're going to bet on the price going up, you're much better off just straight up buying bitcoins off an exchange than mining them yourself.

Potentially, yes.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Eastwind

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:57:22 AM

35% - wow, I didn't know it was that high.  Sounds like if you're going to bet on the price going up, you're much better off just straight up buying bitcoins off an exchange than mining them yourself.

The difficulty level was 8.9M when I started mining on 25 April. It is 12M now. That is an increase of 34% in a month. With more and more ASIC coming to market, I think 35% per month is a reasonable estimate.

Mining revenue is about twice of my electricity cost. If I have the existing hardware, I will just mine until the revenue is the same as my electricity cost. It  is still cheaper than buying BTC directly.
GigaWave

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:07:40 AM

Keep in mind the Tsunami of ASICs is coming. Some time in the next few months the difficulty will skyrocket.
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 01:23:44 PM

This list might be easier.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209750

The problem like they said is that you're not going to get your machine right away.  For those who have their ASICs right now...  yeah...

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
halfawake (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:24:00 AM

This list might be easier.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209750

The problem like they said is that you're not going to get your machine right away.  For those who have their ASICs right now...  yeah...

Yeah, good point.  Seriously thinking of buying 1 BTC as an investment, but I think I'll hold off on getting an actual ASIC for now.

glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 04:48:52 PM

Because your new OP, and the Butterfly Labs ads are always present, conveniently, on the most popular bitcoin mining calculator webpage, I just want to let you know, in case you haven't heard it yet, that any order from BFL will highly likely not be delivered in 2 months like the website makes it out to be.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 01:58:44 PM

800,000 Avalon chips are going to drop in August each does about ~300 Mh this is 240 Terra or a trippling of the network in 4 weeks

BFL will be lucky to have shipped 5000 out of the 60000 they have on back order for All of their products

They have currently shipped ~150 on the 5GH low end units and do not have a working LC or SC 30\60GH unit and still 59,850 units on back order

This is just avalon let alone all the other ASIC guys current and coming online

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Slipage

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:21:01 PM

When the average person cannot mine due to diff, thousands of people get burnt by pre orders, unable to resell due to diff, the hype will move out of bitcoin, and will be for the big players with bigger mining rigs etc.

What happened when the hype will leave ,the value will go down and stay down.

Interest will move over to litecoin but the diff there is Also getting pointless unless you have free electricity .

Unfortunately all this greed will be the end of bitcoin.

The smart ones will have made there millions and moved on way before this happens.
pikeadz

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:43:19 PM

800,000 Avalon chips are going to drop in August each does about ~300 Mh this is 240 Terra or a trippling of the network in 4 weeks

BFL will be lucky to have shipped 5000 out of the 60000 they have on back order for All of their products

They have currently shipped ~150 on the 5GH low end units and do not have a working LC or SC 30\60GH unit and still 59,850 units on back order

You are assuming they will magically place themselves in a working PCB, ship themselves out, and start hashing away with no problems.  Look how may problems BFL and Avalon have faced the past year.  Do you really think all these fly-by-night companies are not going to have problems as well?

The difficulty will triple, quadruple, etc.  But it won't happen overnight.  Stop with the doomsday scenarios people.
Eastwind

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 06:21:50 PM

You are assuming they will magically place themselves in a working PCB, ship themselves out, and start hashing away with no problems.  Look how may problems BFL and Avalon have faced the past year.  Do you really think all these fly-by-night companies are not going to have problems as well?

The difficulty will triple, quadruple, etc.  But it won't happen overnight.  Stop with the doomsday scenarios people.

It is happening now. Difficulty jumped 28% last time. It is predicted to jump 18% in next 2 weeks.
KSV

Activity: 398

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 06:23:05 PM

yup guessing the difficulty is key.

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
KSV

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 06:29:07 PM

When the average person cannot mine due to diff, thousands of people get burnt by pre orders, unable to resell due to diff, the hype will move out of bitcoin, and will be for the big players with bigger mining rigs etc.

What happened when the hype will leave ,the value will go down and stay down.

Interest will move over to litecoin but the diff there is Also getting pointless unless you have free electricity .

Unfortunately all this greed will be the end of bitcoin.

The smart ones will have made there millions and moved on way before this happens.

would love to see this happen, i dont think it will.

KSV

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 06:31:56 PM

35% - wow, I didn't know it was that high.  Sounds like if you're going to bet on the price going up, you're much better off just straight up buying bitcoins off an exchange than mining them yourself.

The difficulty level was 8.9M when I started mining on 25 April. It is 12M now. That is an increase of 34% in a month. With more and more ASIC coming to market, I think 35% per month is a reasonable estimate.

Mining revenue is about twice of my electricity cost. If I have the existing hardware, I will just mine until the revenue is the same as my electricity cost. It  is still cheaper than buying BTC directly.

he quite sums it up, well said

Moebius327

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 06:40:26 PM

try this calculator with Difficulty change (from cycle to cycle))

http://minercharts.com
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 09:06:02 PM

Interesting site, wonder what method they're using..

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 09:17:22 PM

It says what method in the settings you select.
krasnolud

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 01:37:18 PM

You can read about the algorithm here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=226353.0
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: