Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:38:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB miners on a laptop?  (Read 1441 times)
designer24 (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 09:48:40 PM

Hello guys,

If I use USB miners, does it decrease chance of blowing up my laptop?
Many people warned me CPU & GPU mining will damage my laptop.

I'm a real laptop addict guy who spends most of time working on a laptop. I want to mine crypto currency while working on photoshop, after effects and other demanding graphic software. I hope this is possible with USB miners...
I'm using i7 quad core CPU 2nd generation with DDR3 ram sticks on my laptop.

Thanks,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2017, 02:24:20 AM

It would work, but using a Raspberry Pi instead means you won't have to leave the laptop connected to your miner.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
designer24 (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 02:29:22 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2017, 02:44:48 AM by designer24

It would work, but using a Raspberry Pi instead means you won't have to leave the laptop connected to your miner.

Cool idea but I'm on a budget as well.. probably I will buy USB miner & USB crypto currency wallet combo. Thanks for suggestion though.

So I can start mining with any USB miner.
Do I have to plug my USB wallet all the time when mining with USB miner?

NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2017, 02:57:34 PM

Make sure the USB miner you get would actually be profitable. The little sticks aren't. Only the large ASIC boxes (Avalon) have a chance, but do your profit calculation first. If you invest in a hardware wallet, you don't need to connect it all the time.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
designer24 (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 04:04:49 PM

Make sure the USB miner you get would actually be profitable. The little sticks aren't. Only the large ASIC boxes (Avalon) have a chance, but do your profit calculation first. If you invest in a hardware wallet, you don't need to connect it all the time.

Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible to use more than one USB miner at a time?
I have 6 USB ports on my laptop.
I want to use maybe two Butterfly Labs USB miners or GekkoSceince & ButterflyLabs combo... but I wonder if using two units on the same laptop is possible.
yusufemo

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 04:05:26 PM

miners on laptop its become heat and there is a chances to get turn off
designer24 (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 04:17:39 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2017, 04:30:24 PM by designer24

Yeah..

By the way, can I use regular miner with LAN port on my laptop too?
I wonder if I can use something like Bitmain AntMiner S3 on a laptop.
AntMiner S3 has nearly 8 times hash rate of Butterfly Lab USB models.  (450GH/s vs 60GH/s)
Does this mean if I use AntMiner S3, I will mine coins 8 times the rate of butterfly lab usb model?

If laptops can use LAN port to mine with devices like AntMiner S3, I would go with that option.
A used AntMiner 3 is priced similar to used Butterfly Labs USB models. I say why not then.
And they both use one power outlet to run, correct?

Thanks,
coupable

Activity: 2338
Merit: 757

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 04:31:36 PM

Antminer doesn't need to be connected with a laptop. You just need internet connection and all the required configuration can be made via router interface. Just make the right calculation before investing in mining hardware. However, only one antminer doesn't get you a lot of profit so may be you should start your carrier with USB mining.

Yeah..

By the way, can I use regular miner with LAN port on my laptop too?
I wonder if I can use something like Bitmain AntMiner S3 on a laptop.

fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 04:41:32 PM

One thing I have not seen mentioned. Laptop USB ports are usually only 500ma power output. I have never messed with stick miners are they are pretty much pointless to run but I assume they would like a 2amp USB port versus the low power laptop ports.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
designer24 (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 05:08:42 PM

One thing I have not seen mentioned. Laptop USB ports are usually only 500ma power output. I have never messed with stick miners are they are pretty much pointless to run but I assume they would like a 2amp USB port versus the low power laptop ports.

There are USB miners which has its own power supply:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bitmain-Antminer-U3-60GH-s-USB-Bitcoin-Miner-with-PSU-EU-UK-US-or-AU-plug-/351382274792

I'm targeting these units because USB sticks are now totally useless.

I still have hard time understanding LAN port compatibility. The offices i'm staying at don't have any LAN port on the wall.
I can get wi-fi only.
But my laptop does have LAN port. In this case, can I connect my laptop to AntMiner S3 through LAN cable to mine crypto curency?
I hope this is possible. AntMiner S3 is eight times more powerful than AntMiner U3 or ButterFly Labs USB miners.
fanatic26

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 06:44:17 PM

If you have a bit of a networking background you should be able to make your situation work. You can bridge your lan and wifi connections to provide connectivity to another device via the LAN port on your laptop. I actually do something similar at home to run an older computer I dont have a spare wifi card for.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
designer24 (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 07:32:05 PM

If you have a bit of a networking background you should be able to make your situation work. You can bridge your lan and wifi connections to provide connectivity to another device via the LAN port on your laptop. I actually do something similar at home to run an older computer I dont have a spare wifi card for.

I will try this on AntMiner S3 which now sells for under $100.
450Gh/s rate is not bad for this price and it can run out of one power outlet with any powersupply unit.
Hopefully I can mine tons of alt coins...and make some $$

Thanks for all guys!
designer24 (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 11:48:30 PM

How about using this USB to LAN adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M77HMU0

Can I use this USB to LAN adapter + Antminer S3 on my laptop?

This looks awesome.
fanatic26

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 03:51:44 PM

450Gh/s rate is not bad for this price and it can run out of one power outlet with any powersupply unit.

Thanks for all guys!

Just remember that the efficiency on this unit is so poor you will lose money in most cases. It requires $0.04/kwh power just to break even mining BTC.

designer24 (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 04:15:46 PM

Thanks for all guys!

Just remember that the efficiency on this unit is so poor you will lose money in most cases. It requires $0.04/kwh power just to break even mining BTC.

I won't mine bitcoin... I will mine other crypto currencies. Mining Bitcoin is no longer profitable unless you have thousand dollars worth equipments.
Miningstore

Activity: 107
Merit: 1

Miningstore.com - Mining Rigs and Rig Hosting

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2017, 06:53:54 PM

If you guys are looking at basically a mini miner I will check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJSITD0sPVY

He also has a follow-up video on software, so I thought this was pretty cool

Host your Antminer S9 starting at $82 a unit at www.miningstore.com
Futureblnr

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 08:43:38 PM

Thanks for all guys!

I won't mine bitcoin... I will mine other crypto currencies. Mining Bitcoin is no longer profitable unless you have thousand dollars worth equipments.

I also want to try mining on my laptop. So what did you decide to do? Which option do you prefer? and also what coins are you going to mine?
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 09:00:25 PM

Thanks for all guys!
Well, yer boned. The s1, s2, s3, s4, s5, s7, s9, t9, r4 from Bitmain -- all mine ONLY Bitcoin. Same with the Avalons from Canaan. Ja there are a very few alts that use the SHA256D algo but highly doubt they are worth much. In short - ANY Bitcoin miner can ONLY mine Bitcoin. Period. End of story.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 08:49:11 PM

Thanks for all guys!
Well, yer boned. The s1, s2, s3, s4, s5, s7, s9, t9, r4 from Bitmain -- all mine ONLY Bitcoin. Same with the Avalons from Canaan. Ja there are a very few alts that use the SHA256D algo but highly doubt they are worth much. In short - ANY Bitcoin miner can ONLY mine Bitcoin. Period. End of story.
Peercoin is a coin you can mine and its profitability usually trails a little behind Bitcoin. With lower block difficulty and such it's a nice chain to solo mine on, but if you're looking for profit Bitcoin is where it's at. All the other SHA256D coins have unstable prices or are just plain not profitable like you said. I actually used to mine PPC back when it was slightly more profitable to mine on the chain about a year or so ago.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: