Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:15:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recovery phrase and ledger nano s help?  (Read 496 times)
DrBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 12:15:15 AM

I got a ledger nano s, and out ehthereum, bitcoin, Ethereum Classic, Bitcoin Cash, litecoin on there.

What I do not understand, is how can that 24 word recovery phrase restore all those private keys in the event that I lose my ledger. I understand that it is math, but can someone explain this in simple terms. So many different wallets, coins and private keys...and 24 words somehow backs them all up? It feels like magic.

I would love to understand how it works.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2017, 06:19:05 AM

Read BIP44: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0044.mediawiki.

We define the following 5 levels in BIP32 path:

m / purpose' / coin_type' / account' / change / address_index

Coin type

One master node (seed) can be used for unlimited number of independent cryptocoins such as Bitcoin, Litecoin or Namecoin. However, sharing the same space for various cryptocoins has some disadvantages.
This level creates a separate subtree for every cryptocoin, avoiding reusing addresses across cryptocoins and improving privacy issues.
Coin type is a constant, set for each cryptocoin. Cryptocoin developers may ask for registering unused number for their project.
The list of already allocated coin types is in the chapter "Registered coin types" below.
Hardened derivation is used at this level.

For the exact implementation of the Nano S you should take a look at the Ledger documentation.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: