Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 08:37:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Datacoin - Censorship-Free Data Storage  (Read 66634 times)
DatacoinMiner

Activity: 49
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 11:58:08 PM

Nice to see that Datacoin rises like Phoenix from the ashes. Could you give us some information about future?

Hi deathmul

It's wonderful to see Datacoin rise like Phoenix from the ashesssssssssss! So cool <3

And Extro24's overview of plans moving forward is awesome -- something i fully support.

I think your question, deathmul,  is a great time to talk about why everyone is here Smiley

I'm personally involved with Datacoin for fours years now because I see it as a viable, and simpler, tool for The People to have a decentralized publishing outlet.
We still live in an era of censorship -- Datacoin is a tool to help code a solution.
Datacoin is a true Cypherpunk blockchain that also features GPU mining -- this gives more people access to the coin -- something i feel is important.
On top of all this, Datacoin gives people the power to "etch" information on the Datacoin blockchain using a native data field.
I've been involved with the project HugPuddle that created the tool Apertus (http://apertus.io -- rewrite coming) and our goal is to provide archiving tools that give the best chance of preserving The Peoples stories for generations to come.
(and indeed, Apertus can also be viewed as a type of Facebook/Twitter/Snapchap -- except all information is permanently etched and anchored to an "identity" on a Cypherpunk blockchain --- and a whole lot more (especially with Datacoin at 0.10.x) Smiley )

I think following extro24's plan is a great way to help make this happen -- and everyone just keep a keen eye toward making Datacoin a more accessible, simpler, robust, decentralized, and censorship-free tool to promote publishing and data/asset anchoring For the People.

Why is everyone else here?

What's your fire? Smiley

Truly Curious,
DatacoinMiner
(and fyi -- aka The AtomSea)

Free Datacoin available for development -- DM me:)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deathmul

Activity: 472
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 12:11:01 PM

extro24,DatacoinMiner thanks for your reply. I follow datacoin form beginning and I think best time will appear in near future.
Now it's best time to acumulate some cheap coins before wider public comes.

DatacoinMiner

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 12:57:29 AM

Hi Everyone,

Just to enlighten those who may not have had the "aha" moment yet.
The following article really hits on some key points everyone really should be excited about.
The idea of "identity" is a very tricky one, and blockchain tech really helps to minimize some of the problems.
And I'm not talking about necessarily identifying people to their real world identity -- that's not the identity I'm talking about -- just an identity of ownership is a good example, one need not give their true identity, that can be private, you just need to control the keys...
Anyway.
Whereas I'm not a big fan of Microsoft or Forbes, these pieces really show the brain power occurring, and the strength of the decentralized movement to anchor identity.

Note that Datacoin is in a keen position to be one of these layer 1 solutions with it's native data field.

"Microsoft To Embrace Decentralized Identity Systems Built On Bitcoin And Other Blockchains"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ktorpey/2018/02/12/microsoft-to-embrace-decentralized-identity-systems-built-on-bitcoin-and-other-blockchains/#6fc6e6985ada

Here's the blogpost they cite:

"Decentralized Digital Identities and Blockchain – The Future as We See It."
https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2018/02/12/decentralized-digital-identities-and-blockchain-the-future-as-we-see-it/

Recruit coders, recruit miners, recruit buyers, recruit users!
Keep at it everyone Smiley

Regards,
DatacoinMiner -- The AtomSea

extro24 (OP)

Activity: 481
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 12:26:16 PM

Dear All

We have secured the account "datacoinproject" on Github, which I believe can become the official repository of the Datacoin code.  
I think we will still retain and acknowledge the accounts of the individual developers but people have commented to me about the need for a central repository.  Bitcoin has "bitcoin" and Monero has "monero-project".   So I feel that "datacoinproject" is acceptable.  The code can go under "datacoinproject/datacoin".

I have tried many times to get "datacoin", but it is simply not available.

More than one developer has access to this account,  so there should be no issue if one of us falls away.   The rest can continue.

Cheers
-extro

ZenoDiac

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 09:37:53 AM

Rise from the ashes

Difficulty being restored by more and more miners joining in.

Long live Datacoin  Grin #LLDC
ZenoDiac

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:14:54 AM
Merited by hamburger (1)

On that note @gjhiggins @Chicago
Is it possible that we can add the GPU mining feature from the high-performance wallet, "v0.1.2.0dtc-hp14-gunk-beta" to allow solo mining with GPUs on a future version of the datacoin wallet?
CPU mining is not going to last and having the GPU option will be hugely attractive to new recruits keeping the blockchain alive Wink

I plan on making a video guide for all types of datacoin mining, but the only wallet I've found currently working with an XPMclient miner for GPUs is v0.1.2.0dtc-hp14-gunk-beta
I don't like the idea of straying from the main qt wallet just because one want to mine.
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 04:20:47 PM
Merited by hamburger (1)

On that note @gjhiggins @Chicago
Is it possible that we can add the GPU mining feature from the high-performance wallet

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to say - circumstances constrain my work to a laptop format.

Cheers

Graham

minerja

Activity: 1248
Merit: 297

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 08:47:51 AM
Merited by deathmul (1)

Hi,
Just my quick thoughts.

I have been mining this coin for nearly 2 years now. (I think i actually found an original wallet 3 years ago, but couldn't work out how to mine it)
This time around with lots of help from gjhiggins and eXtremal i managed to get a synced wallet (can't remember which one) and cpu mine.
This then got upgraded to gpu mining when the dtc.graymines.net pool became fully functional again.

I can see we have ZenoDiac asking can gpu mining be added to a wallet like it is in the HP Wallet version, and i didn't quite understand his post....so i looked back at the 1st Page and thats what lead me to write this.

Whilst i fully appreciate the efforts and energy of extro24 and DatacoinMiner in moving things along, the 1st page looks like a geeky programmers paradise and a complete nightmare to any newbie (myself included)
If you look under stable clients we have 4 windows versions, then 1 CPU high performance version, and 1 Datacoin wallet with embedded server for local GPU solo mining with xpmclient.
Next we have a solo miner, but that is not the solo miner i am using, then if we go to the dtc.graymines.net pool we have 3 other miners,
oh and then we have 3 explorers, which are all 1 block out from each other, and as for http://www.bytestamp.net/blocks/index - OMG it looks like its still in the 80's

My point is, not to dig, but to say "come on guys" lets clean house first. Can we make the 1st page links point to the 1 official wallet (if such a thing exists) along with its Linux, Mac, and Windows sources, and binaries (not weird mega links, but binaries in the official github). Otherwise, just like me who has sent the last 4 days with my wallet getting to within 3 days of syncing then crashing, next wallet saying my .dat was corrupt, and finally finding the correct wallet (for me at least) v0.1.2.0dtc-hp14-gunk-beta which not only has synced but i am solo gpu mining into.
I mean, links to some random datacoin-qt.exe are great but why not put the wallet version in the desc, or even file name, otherwise like me, newbies are going to end up in a right state.

So Mr DatacoinMiner, with all the good advertising you have been doing, before the "hoardes" come rushing in, fail miserably, and then go bad mouth "that old crap coin" here is a great chance to laydown a clear path for future growth.

Seriously guys, your mining guide points to articles from 2014, to services that are long since gone.

One last thing...aimed at DatacoinMiner mainly, but i hope some of the senior members also think about.

Just stop and think about what you really want from datacoin...its works, it actually works really well, its very stable, and is currently in quite a unique position where many of us are succesfully mining it on laptops, and generally older hardware...take a few hours to look thru the altcoins ann page and see the crazyness of the current market place...everyone is desperate to get rich quick, people are buying not 1 mid card, but 10's of $1000 cards, putting together multiple rigs, and hitting every coin they can so hard they usually break, then tomorrow they move on to the next coin leaving a trail of high difficuly and broken coins in their wake...i'm trying not to be the voice of doom, but just have a look at how many "old coins" have been revamped recently, and as soon as these crazies get involved the coin either dies, or if sucessful gets hijacked and converted to a token, and then forked multiple times until no exchange will touch it...so please think about how you going to address that before the crazies turn up with their 30 x 6 1080Ti rigs, cos the second it happens 4 years of stable control ends...and all the original guys will put there heads in the hands...and walk away....i see it nearly every day now....

So here's to slow, steady, controlled growth for a system that has the ability to be here in 50 years time
J

ZenoDiac

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 12:44:37 PM

Hi,
Just my quick thoughts.

I have been mining this coin for nearly 2 years now. (I think i actually found an original wallet 3 years ago, but couldn't work out how to mine it)
This time around with lots of help from gjhiggins and eXtremal i managed to get a synced wallet (can't remember which one) and cpu mine.
This then got upgraded to gpu mining when the dtc.graymines.net pool became fully functional again.

I can see we have ZenoDiac asking can gpu mining be added to a wallet like it is in the HP Wallet version, and i didn't quite understand his post....so i looked back at the 1st Page and thats what lead me to write this.

Whilst i fully appreciate the efforts and energy of extro24 and DatacoinMiner in moving things along, the 1st page looks like a geeky programmers paradise and a complete nightmare to any newbie (myself included)
If you look under stable clients we have 4 windows versions, then 1 CPU high performance version, and 1 Datacoin wallet with embedded server for local GPU solo mining with xpmclient.
Next we have a solo miner, but that is not the solo miner i am using, then if we go to the dtc.graymines.net pool we have 3 other miners,
oh and then we have 3 explorers, which are all 1 block out from each other, and as for http://www.bytestamp.net/blocks/index - OMG it looks like its still in the 80's

My point is, not to dig, but to say "come on guys" lets clean house first. Can we make the 1st page links point to the 1 official wallet (if such a thing exists) along with its Linux, Mac, and Windows sources, and binaries (not weird mega links, but binaries in the official github). Otherwise, just like me who has sent the last 4 days with my wallet getting to within 3 days of syncing then crashing, next wallet saying my .dat was corrupt, and finally finding the correct wallet (for me at least) v0.1.2.0dtc-hp14-gunk-beta which not only has synced but i am solo gpu mining into.
I mean, links to some random datacoin-qt.exe are great but why not put the wallet version in the desc, or even file name, otherwise like me, newbies are going to end up in a right state.

So Mr DatacoinMiner, with all the good advertising you have been doing, before the "hoardes" come rushing in, fail miserably, and then go bad mouth "that old crap coin" here is a great chance to laydown a clear path for future growth.

Seriously guys, your mining guide points to articles from 2014, to services that are long since gone.

One last thing...aimed at DatacoinMiner mainly, but i hope some of the senior members also think about.

Just stop and think about what you really want from datacoin...its works, it actually works really well, its very stable, and is currently in quite a unique position where many of us are succesfully mining it on laptops, and generally older hardware...take a few hours to look thru the altcoins ann page and see the crazyness of the current market place...everyone is desperate to get rich quick, people are buying not 1 mid card, but 10's of $1000 cards, putting together multiple rigs, and hitting every coin they can so hard they usually break, then tomorrow they move on to the next coin leaving a trail of high difficuly and broken coins in their wake...i'm trying not to be the voice of doom, but just have a look at how many "old coins" have been revamped recently, and as soon as these crazies get involved the coin either dies, or if sucessful gets hijacked and converted to a token, and then forked multiple times until no exchange will touch it...so please think about how you going to address that before the crazies turn up with their 30 x 6 1080Ti rigs, cos the second it happens 4 years of stable control ends...and all the original guys will put there heads in the hands...and walk away....i see it nearly every day now....

So here's to slow, steady, controlled growth for a system that has the ability to be here in 50 years time
J

I have to agree - while I feel a lot of excitement for the coin, the floor where the glass ball dropped has not been dusted and there are fragments everywhere.
Mining links are clearly outdated - Took a while to figure out how to set up solo mining with the right client and setting parameters for newer cards (default values were aimed at the 900 series, thats 2014) - we can fix that.

However, the big problem is getting a main Datacoin wallet with the features of the others' to work with - new guides can be written with this. Add version numbers for easy tracing, and a development plan (currently not indicated on the website). I am not a developer, so I don't know how difficult and time consuming it is to do this, but it will definitely solve some informational logistics on DTC. It is true, the coin is not ready to be boasted about yet, or it can end up in the situation which minerja described so perfectly. 

On another note: the front page should rather point to a list of active nodes than static text, like displaying the list of connections on https://www.[Suspicious link removed]/explorer/

@gjhiggins thanks for the reply, goodluck

-Zeno
DatacoinMiner

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 07:02:26 PM

Hi Team,

Yes indeed -- we need a solid foundation -- I'm all for it.
@minerja -- you're hired!
Any re-organization of the main data page would be welcome -- please post your proposed layout in the thread.
And I agree with everything you're saying... i summed it it up as the following -- we need to keep a "keen eye toward making Datacoin a more accessible, simpler, robust, decentralized, and censorship-free tool to promote publishing and data/asset anchoring For the People."

Know that I'm not going anywhere, my miners alone will keep the chain afloat if the sh!t hits the fan, I was one of two miners at one point for a very very long time -- I'm not in this for the money -- I'm in this for The People.

And if you or anyone you know can assist in updating mining tutorials, please do!
( I wrote this one -- we need more! http://datacoininfo.org/mining.html )

Thank you for your feedback -- we need more of this -- we need you -- we need more help Smiley

Kind Regards,
DatacoinMiner -- AtomSea

extro24 (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 09:20:52 PM
Merited by hamburger (1)

@minerja @zenodiac

Your points are fully appreciated.  The OP was partly an attempt to "pick up the pieces" after the developer left and Datacoin almost died.  I scoured the internet for whatever I could find, putting it on one page in an attempt to preserve it.  Now is the time to start cleaning house.

I have created and populated an official Datacoin development repository at Github and listed it on the OP:  https://github.com/datacoinproject/datacoin.  This will be updated by the developers as we cycle though new versions.

With that done we can focus on sorting out the clutter.  I am busy benchmarking against what other coins have done.

We do need a clear mining guide, especially for GPU's, pools and solo rigs.  There I have limited experience, but I will prepare an updated mining guide, and I will solicit the input from active miners.

Thank you for your comments.  They are most needed now, as Datacoin resumes its growth.

Cheers
-extro

dtc2017

Activity: 81
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:34:27 AM

This is awesome news! Thank you Next.Exchange

kingkongcorp

Activity: 131

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:50:28 AM

I guess, because its also a problem i have, that the issue could be the INTEL GPU which is platform 0, miner tries to use that instead of discrete card and fails, any opinion?
extro24 (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:30:00 AM

Happy Day:

DatacoinMiner

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 09:22:53 PM

Woohooo!

MarcusDe

Activity: 796
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2018, 10:29:56 PM

Hi,

Graymines pool is lowering fee from 5% to 2%!
Also backup pool is planned in not so distant future :-P

Good luck and have fun!
M.

IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 01:55:09 AM

@minerja @zenodiac

Your points are fully appreciated.  The OP was partly an attempt to "pick up the pieces" after the developer left and Datacoin almost died.  I scoured the internet for whatever I could find, putting it on one page in an attempt to preserve it.  Now is the time to start cleaning house.

I have created and populated an official Datacoin development repository at Github and listed it on the OP:  https://github.com/datacoinproject/datacoin.  This will be updated by the developers as we cycle though new versions.

With that done we can focus on sorting out the clutter.  I am busy benchmarking against what other coins have done.

We do need a clear mining guide, especially for GPU's, pools and solo rigs.  There I have limited experience, but I will prepare an updated mining guide, and I will solicit the input from active miners.

Thank you for your comments.  They are most needed now, as Datacoin resumes its growth.

Cheers
-extro

Just passing through. It's a pleasant change to see frank and incisive discussion going on.

MarcusDe

Activity: 796
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2018, 11:44:20 AM

[GPU 0] T=-1C A=-1% E=0 primes=0.108185 fermat=632531/sec cpd=110.95/day
[GPU 1] T=-1C A=-1% E=0 primes=0.108089 fermat=638017/sec cpd=111.02/day
[GPU 2] T=-1C A=-1% E=0 primes=0.108140 fermat=644022/sec cpd=112.54/day
[GPU 3] T=-1C A=-1% E=0 primes=0.108322 fermat=651293/sec cpd=115.54/day
[GPU 4] T=-1C A=-1% E=0 primes=0.108037 fermat=657259/sec cpd=113.87/day
[GPU 5] T=-1C A=-1% E=0 primes=0.108168 fermat=649283/sec cpd=113.72/day

Hi,

Above are stats from 6x 1060 3GB rig, and 10.1 miner.
Sharing it for you to know what to expect ;-)

M.

ZenoDiac

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 04:08:00 PM

I guess, because its also a problem i have, that the issue could be the INTEL GPU which is platform 0, miner tries to use that instead of discrete card and fails, any opinion?

Yea, sometimes switching to platform 1 solves the issue, forcing it to use the GPU instead of onboard.
What miner are you using?
panchandaman

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 04:11:47 PM

Also is it still worthwhile to solo mine with a single GPU or should I be looking to join a pool?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: