Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:56:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-28 Zerohedge - Mapping Bitcoin's Global Adoption  (Read 1602 times)
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:47:34 AM

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-27/mapping-bitcoins-global-adoption

Bitcoin has made significant progress towards becoming the world's first truly global currency over the past few years. To gain better perspective on bitcoin’s impact, we took a look at global wallet downloads, demonstrated interest by region, exchange volumes across currencies, mining node locations, real-world interactions around bitcoin, and the major companies and investors pushing the bitcoin economy forward.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 03:55:15 AM

Not too surprising given the media attention over the past two months.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
inge

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:30:42 AM

Nice article. The Netherlands is wel rapresented.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:44:51 PM

Very nice piece. Lots of data, some reasonable interpretation and not much spin. Some refreshing surprises too, for me.

"To normalize for country size, we compared total wallet downloads to the population of each country to find penetration into each region. In doing so, we quickly realized the Nordic countries are the clear leaders in bitcoin adoption.... Päivi Heikkinen, Finland’s Head of the Division for Oversight of Financial Markets Infrastructure explicitly responded to a question about whether or not bitcoin is illegal by stating, “Not at all; people can invest in and use any money they prefer.”"

There's an interesting spin war going on in the article's comment section.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:34:04 AM

I haven't confirmed it yet - but I have my suspicions - that I've been blocked from my account on ZH after treading too closely to the main thesis of the site - that any downward movement in any given market is "THE BIG ONE", even if it subsequently rallies thereafter. This is usually explained away as "manipulation" or whatever term is convenient.

I guess it has been bothering me, reading Tyler's posts year after year about how it is all going to hell, only to face a rally in the Dow or whatever by +200 points. While I think the conventional financial system is due for a bloody big correction, I just disagree with the manner in which Tyler goes about it.

I've emailed them about the access problem, but frankly I'm not holding my breath. Guess I won't be able to counter the trolls and other muppets in the bitcoin-centric threads, but hell, I've done enough and there are others who are articulate and able to carry on.

Just wanted to post this somewhere if you wondered why I was "ghosted" from ZH.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:53:49 AM

I haven't confirmed it yet - but I have my suspicions - that I've been blocked from my account on ZH after treading too closely to the main thesis of the site - that any downward movement in any given market is "THE BIG ONE", even if it subsequently rallies thereafter. This is usually explained away as "manipulation" or whatever term is convenient.

I guess it has been bothering me, reading Tyler's posts year after year about how it is all going to hell, only to face a rally in the Dow or whatever by +200 points. While I think the conventional financial system is due for a bloody big correction, I just disagree with the manner in which Tyler goes about it.

I've emailed them about the access problem, but frankly I'm not holding my breath. Guess I won't be able to counter the trolls and other muppets in the bitcoin-centric threads, but hell, I've done enough and there are others who are articulate and able to carry on.

I've been reading ZH since it started, and commented often, but not seen much about any accounts being blocked. Considering the flat-earth Neanderthals which hang out there, it is hard to imagine what you might have said to warrant this treatment.

I think a lot of smart financial bloggers have been surprised at how successfully the system has been propped up with QE offsetting deflation from the credit money and shadow-banking contractions. People like Graham Summers have been warning of systemic collapse almost every day for years. Seems inevitable  that one day they will be right, but that day is being seriously delayed by CB efforts.

BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:22:59 AM

I guess it has been bothering me, reading Tyler's posts year after year about how it is all going to hell, only to face a rally in the Dow or whatever by +200 points.
Wow, the fact that you'd use the stock market as a reference at all says volumes about your thinking...

Consider this:

Clearly there is some correlation between the surge and the new money since the start of QEs, wouldn't you agree?

Talking about the economy and referencing the stock market in any way is an evil trick your overlords use to
control your mind. That game is rigged beyond any hope of salvation.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:31:59 AM

I guess it has been bothering me, reading Tyler's posts year after year about how it is all going to hell, only to face a rally in the Dow or whatever by +200 points.
Wow, the fact that you'd use the stock market as a reference at all says volumes about your thinking...

Clearly there is some correlation between the surge and the new money since the start of QEs, wouldn't you agree?

Talking about the economy and referencing the stock market in any way is an evil trick your overlords use to
control your mind. That game is rigged beyond any hope of salvation.

I'm well aware of why the market is levitating, the Federal Reserve's role, and the implications of debasing the dollar. My frustration is merely pointed at the collective Tyler(s) of Zerohedge who keep using any minute wiggle downward as the basis for "THIS IS IT" type of posts, only to be routed hours or days later.

The point of my post is I find it a bit ridiculous to base a financial site on shrewd analysis of some issues, yet have zero tolerance for anyone pointing out the obvious -- that their timing is pretty early at best, and at worst - completely wrong.

In any event, its either an account malfunction that has only happened to me in nearly four years, or someone decided to be done with me. Either outcome isn't the end of the world, just adds to the pile of weary acknowledgement when the abuse of power (however small) is involved, if that indeed is what it turns out to be.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
cycloid

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 07:41:24 AM

Awesome find! Thanks for sharing, glad to see Canada and Russia on the map. Also china spike looks promising ...

aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:53:25 AM

Interesting. I had noticed your ID among the posters fighting the good fight for BTC. I think it's obvious that fiat-world is going to blow, but to quote Bill Bonner, "just because it is inevitable doesn't mean it's imminent." Sigh. Forum debate can be so interesting and stimulating but once a forum gets swarmed by "agents" it loses its appeal. The ugly choice then is whether to keep participating in a rigged game or whether to retreat and let "them" brag about their victory. Sucks to be objective in a world of spin-artists.      Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: